Masters Running

Christmas Eve, 12.24.16 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm just stopping by to wish everyone a joyful holiday with family and friends; good food and drink; and good holiday runs.

DW and I traveled to Long Island, NY to spend Christmas with old friends. We'll head back on Monday to get things ready to host some family members who will be visiting for New Year's.

I'm still not back to working out, which is bumming me out. I've been to 2 PT sessions, and haven't seen any improvement (I know it is early in the process, but I wanted instant gratification, of course). So I've been spending my early morning hours reading, working and stretching. I wondered this morning if the racewalking shoes I started wearing early in the Fall are a part of my problems. They are incredibly comfortable, light and flexible, but maybe there is something in their structure that my body doesn't like. I dunno. Anyway...

I'm taking the time over the next week or so to enjoy the company of family and friends, and to be mindful of all the good things I have going on in my life, and to renew my efforts to resolve that which needs improving or changing. I hope you all will do the same.

Have a greta Saturday!

Cheers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all who follow!!

So sorry you are still not working out Jay - hope you recover soon!!

3.2 miles with my Sole Sister friends then 5.2 miles with my MVS/TriFury friends followed by lots of fabulous food!!

Sauce is cooking on the stove, ready to start making the lasagna and the spinach dip for tonight.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!!

denise

Hi, Jay! I hope you get back into your workouts and race-walking pretty soon -- I know how nuts we can get when our exercise regimen is suspended.

Hi, Denise! Italian sounds good -- when should we drop by?

I ran outside for the first time in a couple weeks or longer. With the temps in the mid-30s and being a holiday weekend, I assumed that the Metropark crews would have dropped a good load of salt on the path around the lake, which would be very effective in these conditions. Well, it turned out I was wrong and had to be careful all the way around to pick out the dry or only wet paths from the more icy sections, and probably ended up walking a total of about a half mile out of the 6-mile route. Still not too bad, but I was recalling the time a few years ago when I took the worst fall I've ever had running on this same path (that was a much colder day with lots of black ice sections). But overall a good run that should last me until next week.

Have a very Merry Christmas, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Speaking of falling when running, I enjoy that Shark Tank show and last night they had a couple on who had developed lights for runners that are similar to the familiar LED headlamps, but come in pairs to attach to your shoes and light the way at ground level! That's a really good idea, and I can attest that it probably would have saved me from at least one nasty fall I took when I tripped on an uneven sidewalk in the dark and ended up with scraped and bloody knees.

The Sharks dug it too and were competing against each other to make the best offer to the new entrepreneurs, one of which they accepted.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Great post!

Deez - sounds yummy!

Roch - those lights sound like a good idea.

Unseasonably warm weather here today, so I took advantage of it to do my LR.  Rain last night melted most of the snow, and it was in the low 40's when I ran this morning, misty and moist but not quite raining.  I dressed right for the temp and damp in my light layers, but my hands were painfully cold by 7 miles.  At 15 miles I stopped in a gas station bathroom and spent several minutes running hot water on my hands to bring some feeling back to them.  Once warm, they were fine for the rest of my run.

20 miles total.  Lots of walk breaks, but got the distance in.

We are going to my stepdad's for a Christmas Eve gathering, and then tomorrow I will be hosting Christmas dinner.  I was hoping to get started on some of the cooking when I noticed that DH went to the store during my run and bought FOUR gallons of milk, a cream pie and a cheesecake (without my knowledge) and my fridge now has no room for me to put anything else in it.  Hmmmm.  I guess I will be sorting and tossing stuff to make some room.

Merry Christmas to all!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Jay - (((DW))) as she has to put up with you!

Denise - I have fond memories of 7 fishes Christmas Eve dinner at Italian friends

Roch & Holly - nice runs

Had a short run early before the rains came in, ran a few errands, then DS & family came over for sweet potato latkes, brisket and early candles.  They just left for Christmas in NH.

We saw La La Land and it's worth seeing,

Happy Holidays,

marj

Good to hear from you Jay. Being injured in the winter is certainly than being sidelined in the summer. Holly, 4 gallons?? What was he thinking? Rich, our trails aren't too bad right now but the footbridge never gets shoveled so that is treacherous. I am thinking that I may stash a shovel there but it would probably get stolen.

We are going to MrStarr's brother's house after church tonight for soup, appetizers, snacks and dessert. I made a peppermint ice cream dessert with Oreo crush and crushed candy canes on top. We also have a lot of cookies left so will bring those too. I am brining a turkey breast for tomorrow but it is just the three of us. I made those do-ahead mashed potatoes with cream cheese so have that mess out of the way.

Oh, I didn't run today but did go to the Y for 45 minutes biking and 25 minutes of weights. Got home in time to watch the Vikings/Packers game. Not so much fun right now. It is beautiful outside right now with hoarfrost covering all the branches of the trees and bushes, or anything, actually. I should really go take some photos.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Celebrating Christmas Eve with DW, DD, and her BFat universal studios theme park. Have confirmed that I have aged out of a good number of the rides.

DW and I went to the movies last night for the first time in ages. Our selection was not as sophisticated as Marj and Henry--we saw "Sing". Very funny and the animation amazing.

Hope to to make it out for a Christmas morning run prior to presents. Merry Christmas and happy Hanukah to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker wishing you a speedy recovery.

I really just popped by to read about everyone's plans for the weekend and wish you all a Happy Hunakuh and/or Merry Christmas as the case may be.

My crew is watching NORAD tracking Santa. He is crossing Haiti as I type! Go Santa go!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I was thinking of doing my long run today because I really didn't want to be running long on Christmas Day, but it got late and my hip is bothering me and, yadda, yadda, yadda, I didn't do it. I did get out for a good 7 mile run though with lots of stops to stretch my hip. Not sure what's going on with it, but it's very annoying. I'll do 12-14 tomorrow and that'll be the longest run in awhile for me. Hard to tell I've got a marathon coming up in a couple months.

Roasting a small pork shoulder roast tonight, heading to my brother's tomorrow night for dinner.

Marj thanks, I've wondered about that one. Not sure where we'll see it. We saw Rogue One in the theater last week and that was the first time in the theater for us in a long time. Cost $38 for the two of us. Holy carp.... That's why I like waiting for movies at the Blue Loon. I think they're $6 and we can eat burgers and have wine. Smile