Masters Running

Tuesday, October 30 Trick-or-Treat Runs (Read 375 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run for me today, 45 minutes of weights and core instead.

The wind was howling around the house last night as Sandy made her way inland bringing hard rain and snow and 40mph winds with her.  Tonight is Begger's Night, and I'm trying to work out how to fit DD's pirate outfit around something warm enough to deal with the freezing rain and wind that is forecast.  Might be a short one, but she's pretty tough, so we'll see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

They still have Beggars' Night down there? Must be an Ohio thing -- I haven't heard that term since I was a kid in Cincinnati. Of course, Detroit has its own tradition where it's called "Devil's Night", better known as "Arsonists' Night", although that's been tamped down a lot recently.

Like you, we have terrible wind and rain today -- woke me up beating against the window all night. If it's like this way out here in Michigan, I can only imagine what it's like near the real center of the storm! I hope that Rosie is keeping safe and with her lights on.

I went to see that Cloud Atlas movie yesterday and all I can say is "Wow! What a movie!". I'm already planning to see it again with my DW in tow (she was skeptical that it might be too "weird" for her tastes). I'm sure that it will be one of those love-it-or-hate-it films, but you should all take a chance and go see it. I'd almost recommend looking at the Wikipedia article on it before you go; there might be a couple of minor spoilers in there, but it will help you pick up on some things that weren't immediately obvious to me.

Obviously no running outside today, but I think I'll venture out to the 8AM spinning class. Have a good day, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Wow - some early risers today! Mornin' Holly and Doug, and those to follow.

We closed the office at 3 yesterday, when the winds started to kick up, to ensure that everyone could get home well before dark. Also, the Gov. asked all businesses to close early if possible to help keep people off the roads as the worst of the storm approached. We didn't lose power (although we were prepared for it) last night. The winds kept up till about 4:45 this morning when they seemed to suddenly quiet down. I drove by the ocean on the way to work, and the surf is still roiling, and it was easy to see where the sand had blown completely across the road. At Hampton Beach, they brought in snow plows to push the sand (up to 2+ ft deep in spots) back onto the beach. Incredibly warm (58) here, as opposed to W.VA and other places. Good luck to Twocat and everyone else who lost power and/or sustained some storm damage.

No workout today. I didn't sleep well last night, so I grabbed a few extra zzzs this morning.

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

5.3 miles in the rain, wind and sleet this morning.  I was soaked to the bone when I got back.  It never felt so good to put on thick wool socks and dry sweats.

I work for an office in Charleston WV.  So far I don't see many people signed on unless they work remote like me.

mta: Doctor's office just called to let me know that I passed my cholesterol test yesterday.  The medicine and diet changes got the total down 57 points from this time last year.  I think this means that I will never die but I am not certain of that fact.  So far so good (as Steven Wright says.)

Slo

Here where I am, On the tit of Iowa, Sandy provided us with a gorgeous sky this morning. We are getting the very most outer bands of clouds. They are very high and paper thin. So thin you could still see the stars thru them. The clouds appear like streaks of light swirled across the sky.

7 miles with two tempo's thrown in.

..glad to see everybody's ok so far//...........and jay slept in til the crack of 5

=======

....high winds here,

we've got the ColdFront that's hitting Sandy

32min poolrun

PT xs

double weight sessions

...........................good running guys........if you can't Run, just Hunker.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

{{{East Coasters}}}}} 

Darn it! Erika will be in  Seattle while I am in Olympia for a short trip next week, but I think my time will not allow me to drive to Seattle either before or after my meeting.

No run today. I had a restless sleep, so I decided to not run this morning, but will a few miles this afternoon. This is my cut back week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I'm a bit nervous about my flight to Columbus, OH tomorrow.  Wonder if things will have settled down by then. I the 11 years I have been self-employed I've missed only one client engagement due to weather.

5.5 miles today at easy pace. Legs a bit tired now.  Spareribs

aka FlyingFinn

You should be ok, Spareribs. It’s died down a lot here already.

The wind was roaring last night. It’s amazing how strong it was this far inland; can’t imagine what it must have been like for the coast. Our concern was the big trees possibly falling or losing limbs and landing on the house. It was a very restless night. A few schools here were cancelled, and a lot of schools in the Cleveland and Akron areas, but we’re on today.

We used to call the night before Halloween “Fox Night” where I grew up. I don’t remember fires, just a lot of tp.

Congrats on the cholesterol results, Dave.         

I didn’t even pack running things as it will be time to go pick up DH by the time I’m done with a meeting this afternoon. Maybe I’ll get a few on the tm at least.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

mta: Doctor's office just called to let me know that I passed my cholesterol test yesterday.  The medicine and diet changes got the total down 57 points from this time last year.  

...Nicely done dave///.......Willpower is not dead.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Holly, every night for me is beggars night. 

Dad would be self employed, but then he would be working for a nut.

It was very bad when it was dark out. There was knocking on the doors and windows all at the same time. I would go check and no one was there! There were monsters outside screaming and throwing things in the yard, but I could not see them. Lots of times I would yell, "Go away!!" or "Mom and Dad are trying to sleep and they will be mad!".  Dad told me a lot of times that it was the "Wind"...YIKES!

After Mom went to work, Dad said, "Taggy, do you want to go run run run!". I looked at him and asked if he was kidding. He asked again and I climbed out of bed real slow and said it might not be a good idea. But I go my shirt on and we went anyway. Dad took us to a road in a valley where we get some protection from the wind. I have not ever seen the wind, but I know I don't like it. 

When we got out of the truck, I was very rexcited and went run run run all over! Then I would hear the wind screaming and look all over. Some trees were dancing to try and scare the wind away! Sometimes I would hear a whole bunch of trucks coming in the road very fast! I looked all over, but did not see any. Dad said "it's just the wind." and the trees danced very hard. I was very close to Dad to keep him safe. Sometimes he made ghost noises and it freaked me out. He would laugh, but it wasn't funny. When we went down to the "See Deers Whomp", (Tag, it's the "cedar swamp"), there were some big big trees laying down.  Then he said it was time to go back.  The lady on the news said the wind goes run run run at 52 miles and hour today. I'm going to beg for ice cream, then go take a nap. Dad can go dance on the roof for all I care today.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Dave59

...Nicely done dave///.......Willpower is not dead.........

Now I just wish I knew if that getting the lower numbers with medicine will cause problems in the long run.  If you read articles on the internet about the pros and cons it'll make your head spin.  I have no idea who to believe.  The doctor thinks it is important so I'll go with that for now.  But he abandoned his patients for Florida so I'll see what my new doctor says when I go for a physical in a couple months.

Good job on the lowering your numbers, Dave!

Like everyone else here, my thoughts and prayers are with those on the East Coast.  In watching the news this morning, the devastation, especially in New Jersey, is astounding.  We may not be hearing from folks for awhile, depending on where they are located.

4 miles this a.m. with a bit of a tempo run for Miles 2 and 3.  I feel SO much better than I did yesterday!  I used to be able to stay up 'til all hours and run around with no problems.  Now?  Nope.  Was in bed by 8:30 and asleep before 9:00 last night.

Taggy - You were a brave boy.  I hope you got some ice cream.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Thanks for sharing that Doug. DW and I saw the commercial yesterday and wondered if it would be worth the effort to see. Looks like two movies for date night (any 007 movie is worth the wait - yes even Moonraker).

No run yet, but will get something tonight. With 50mph gusts it should be fun at least in one direction.

Stay safe East Coasters.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

We lost our power and will likely be out for several days.  Some other damage to our lawn and inconvenience but nothing we will not survive.  Down by the shore it was a different story!  The water came up 7' and swamped homes and businesses down there.  My DW and I are now at a friend's house where there is power and HOT water for showers!  No running for us today (or me in the near future) just a long walk around the area to see what was up.  A lot of trees came down (taking wires with them) that blocked various major roads around our house.  Going the mile from our place to the beach (totally flooded!) required a rather circuitous route!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/