Masters Running

National Marathon RR (Read 422 times)

Tough day, Tramps, but still your time was not bad at all, after all that.  I know what you mean about not feeling in the groove -- last year it all came together, and this race not so much.

You'll have a better time in Boston, I have a feeling.  Just don't drop the e-caps this time Smile

I wonder how we missed each other before the race?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Very thoughtful RR - thanks for a good read!  Sorry you didn't have quite the race you were hoping for but you're a strong runner, and ran a good race.  And although you didn't get the cool weather you like, at least it wasn't humid or raining or snowing!    But a minor point:  I believe you left out the fashion report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

You should've run the Shamrock... I think it was a smidge cooler with the ocean breezes...

See you in Boston.  Well, Ralph will see you in Boston.

Oh. And we are taking Blaine to see MWU on Thursday, 08 April.

Now go get a shower.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tramps

Thanks for the supportive comments; they're appreciated.   Writing a RR is a great excuse to take some time to reflect on this silly sport.

Walt--I thought a lot about your comment that I might be over-thinking the race.    I understand your point, but if I'm going to push myself I need to have a concrete goal in mind to stay focused.  "To get X, I must do Y." That's what helps me get past the discomfort.  Otherwise, without a concrete goal, it's a downward spiral... "Oh, I'll just ease up here a bit....I'll just take a little walk break at the water stop...I'll just have a nap here in the shade....Hey, I think that pub is open...."

Enke--I like your typical/atypical distinction.  You're right, so many things can go wrong in a marathon that, typically, at least one thing--if not more--does.  I was spoiled by my "perfect day" marathon at National last year!

Nono--yes, you're right; no stomach issues!  I did gag briefly just after the halfway point...but that was because the course looped back right past the line of porta-johns that were near the start and a breeze was blowing the wrong way.   

Carolyn--I'm the last person you want a fashion report from; typically frumpy and boring...but comfortable, which is all I care about.  Orange singlet, black shorts, black sweatband.

Ironically, after a "meh" day for my supposed "A" race, I'm sort of getting psyched up for Boston, which I previously had mixed feelings about.  I won't get too worked up until I see a weather forecast, though.  But regardless of the weather, I plan to have fun!

Be safe. Be kind.

...I'll just have a nap here in the shade....Hey, I think that pub is open...."

Sounds like two worthy race goals!

Seriously, though: My race goals tend to be "run under X," and then, failing that, it's "don't walk." This has left me a little confused in Bonkville on two occasions.

I think that you're positioning yourself to do quite well in Boston...I think a warm-up marathon is a fine idea.

Walt