Masters Running

Friday, 7.15.16 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Aamos, stiffness isn't the problem with my slow shoes - I can roll them so the toe is inside the heel. Maybe it isn't the shoes that are slow...  I'm glad you are feeling and running better.

Good cyclemute and recap, Tet.

Good runs, Hot Tammy (in so many ways...), Drippy Stumpy, Cool Leslie, Mossy TwoCat, Also Hot Evanflein, and Birthday Girl Mariposai. Good rides (stationary but moving) by RCG and Holly.

Gee Haller, you had a choice between a run and a root canal and you chose...? I hope you're feeling better today, and that the future work isn't too painful in your mouth or wallet.

I'm sorry you're hurting, Marj, and hope it passes quickly. Thanks for the PEM tip - it's one of our favorite museums.

Sorry about the need for the new knee, Henrun. I know you'll be a patient patient, but I hope they can move up the schedule for you.

I'm sorry spider man appears not to make the cut, Steve.

6.4 also drippy RW miles this morning. I wasn't going to go hard, but another early walker (Steve) was running today, so after he passed me, I (of course) used him as my rabbit for another mile + until he turned off. It was a hard workout, but it was good to push a little bit in warm and muggy weather just to see if I could handle it.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hate to see Jay here all by his lonesome, so Happy Friday to all, even though I did NOT get up and get drippy this morning.

Henry--sorry to hear about the new knee, but with the pain that you've been having, sounds like it's a necessary thing.  I'll agree with what someone said previously--i haven't heard of anyone who's been disappointed in their replacements.  For some reason, it seems like I'm hearing more and more people getting them.  must be just coincidence   I know DW would love to have hers done to deal with arthritis and pretty constant pain--all she has to do is convince her doc.

DW and I did a boat tour out to Appledore Island to see the gardens that Childe painted a few years back.  Neat place.  I also did the engineering for the replacemnt of their generators about 10 years ago.  Had a couple of day trips, but was disappointed that I never got an overnight out of it.

It must be the shoes, Jay.  Don't know what else it could be.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Happy Friday to all!! 

It's a very happy Friday for David since he's picking up his first car today. He and DH went to look at it yesterday (in Ashland, about 60 miles from us) and he really liked it. It's a solid, well maintained little car - Sunfire Coupe - it'll work well for him for driving to school, tennis practices and a job - yes, this means he now needs to get a job so he can put gas in his car. oh - - but first there is the issue of getting a license. Driver's training starts 8/8, so by the time school starts he'll be a licensed driver. whew. Now I can just go to stressing every time he's out on the road. 

and tomorrow is DH's 62nd bday. that just seems odd to me - my husband can now draw social security. when did he get to be that age??

Tammy

evan, a bit of clarification on the kids situation.  The area had bad storms that took down a lot of trees and branches causing damage for homeowners.  In the kids case, a big branch took down the electric service line into their house.  This caused a little electrical fire and minor fire damage but serious damage to their electrical system.  hallar, what a bummer about the teeth issues.  Tammy, happy birthday to your husband and neat about your son's first car.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s with a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five rosie miles.
            Because I didn’t have the motivation to do anything other than a typical taper day today and otherwise wouldn’t have done it, it was an absolutely perfect morning to start the second running streak of my life (first was seven days back in 1985 just so I could say I did it). 
            I hope this one dedicated for rosie and others on the DL doesn’t last that long, . . . .  but I doubt it. However, henry, I think I can get you in for a knee replacement out here a lot sooner than November.  Don’t know what their readmission/failure rate is though.
            Is this the current DL roll call?
            . . . . 1.  rosie - hip
            . . . . 2.  holly - hip
            . . . . 3.  mikeE - hamstring
            . . . . 4. henry - hip
            . . . . 5.  marj - hurting
            . . . . 6.  jeanne -
            . . . . 7.  deezie -
            . . . . 8.  dg -

ps holly/rosie - good job on the bikes
            to nowhere, especially at 90 rpm’s.
            pps amy - although I’ve run with four members of the one-thousand marathon club over there (and the two over here), the one-thousand marathoner from Japan is probably Hajime Nishi who’s aiming to run 1,000 marathons on completely different marathon courses in all 250 or so countries of the world. He’s famed for his “slow-is-beautiful” running philosophy and picking up garbage along the way, ergo, “ecomarathon.”

1000marathons.blogspot.com
            ecomarathon.com,. .

I’ve run with him in a half-dozen marathons over the years, including the boomer reunion inaugural Eugene Marathon in 2007.  The first was Christmas Marathon down in Transylvania Park near Olympia, WA in 1997 when he was completing a Guinness Book record one official marathon on all seven continents in seven months.  Then, by a total coincidence, ten years later, running with Nishi again in the Valentine Marathon, also down by Olympia, we ran into Richard Takata who was completing the same seven-marathon-on-seven-continents but in only 29 days.   Now it’s commonplace to do ‘em in seven days.   www.sevencontinentsclub.com

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, so I thought my PT visits were a $50 copay.  Since the rehab center is at a hospital, I kept getting told that I would be billed later.  I finally spent about an hour on the phone today to find out that the $50 copy is only if the therapy is at a dr office.  The only physical therapy centers I have seen are at physical therapy centers - the doctor's office can't fit the equipment in that little room, right?  Anyway, what I found out is that they have billed out more than $3000 for 3 PT visits.  Since my insurance year begins July 1, I am subject to last year's unused deductible and also this year's unused deductible.  This means I will pay nearly $2000 for 3 PT visits.  I don't know whether to scream or burst into tears.  I would NEVER have gone if I knew I would be paying nearly $700/visit.  DH will hit the roof.  He will say I should have just rested and it would have eventually gone away.  And he will be right.  An MRI would have been cheaper.

I know this is all my fault, and I am just so angry with myself.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly S. that is just totally sucks. Hard to believe the insurance works that way. I agree with you, I have never seen a doctor's office with PT equipment in it. There really should be a way to get a heads up on what kind of bill will come with a medical visit before the bill is incurred. My guess is that had you initially offered to pay cash you could have cut a much better deal. Maybe you still can. Try calling their billing office and ask if you do not run it through your insurance if they can give you a break on the rate. Even $200 per hour for PT is pretty much off the charts for a cash patient. But, a total of $600 would save you quite a bit.

tetsujin209 Rosie took the subway and the T. Which did you ride for 5 miles? 

No running for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. After yesterday's run my sweat glands need a break!

Only tangentially related to running I have been going back and forth about a bug in the Zombies Run app. I have it on its default which should produce 3.3 zombie chases per hour (I have no idea why they picked 3.3). The app has a mode where it plays missions (think story chapters) back-to-back for long runs. I have been complaining that once the first mission is done the app never schedules a chase during the second one. I was asked to do some testing on my next run by having the mission set to its very beginning when I start my run. (Normally, if your run ends in the middle of a mission the mission will resume where you left off with your next run.) I did as asked. Sent in a detailed report. It included the fact that the app still failed to generate any chases during the second mission. (Not that they need my report as they have a full log of my run, including chases, on their website.) What response did I get back? A totally dismissive one! How chases are random and what I experienced may just be "normal"!  Not only am I ticked off about the dismissive tone but doubly so after being asked to run a test, running it and reporting the app failed the test I was asked to run!  If you are going to ask me to run a test and I do it, at least pretend to take it seriously! I wrote back complaining a bit. Not that I think it will matter.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

there is nothing about this kind of deception that is your fault, at all.

I've just cancelled my second colonoscopy appointment

because I can't get a clear answer on how much it will be costing.

Make your case to them and hope for a adjustment to what you thought.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, insurance confusion on copay vs. deductible and coinsurance beside, contact the PT and ask for an itemized billing of each visit. You're saying over $3,000 billed for three sessions? That's obscene! We have the highest costs in the country and ours isn't that much! Something isn't right, I would think an evaluation, work with exercises and even a tens unit or electro stim shouldn't be more than $400 a visit in Ohio. Really, something isn't right here. Come to Alaska and get your PT cheaper (said no one, ever....).

Well, after yesterday's run I iced my foot last night but there was noticeable swelling. This morning, my mets hurt and that's a totally new thing. So I take three days off, do a run on trails (not hard surfaces) and now this? Doesn't make sense. I'm not running today, but still planning on the 8k tomorrow morning. I am, however, calling the doc's office because this is getting ridiculous. I've put it off long enough. Now to make sure my podiatrist is still in-network....

SteveP

((((((Holly))))) I swear insurance companies hire people to create loopholes. I'm sorry.

SteveP