Masters Running

Thursdaily, June 27, 2019 (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - I use an ergonomic keyboard as well, and love it.  Mine has keys that light up, too, so that's kind of cool.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

I got a late start on my morning run & by the time I started it was h&h. Plan for today was 1.5 mile warm up, then 8 miles tempo, finish with 1.5 mile cool down. I didn't take enough water with me and faded on the last mile of the tempo; 1.5 mile warm up, 7.5 mile tempo, 2 mile cool down (with walking). I'm still counting it as an 11 mile run. Smile

Paul

2 treadmill miles after a harrowing drive home from work in a blinding thunderstorm.  Ready to relax and not stress over baseball!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, back in Montgomery.  Good trip work-wise (and personal-wise since I had a chance to catch up with some longtime colleagues).  Before heading back east I got up early enough for 7.2 miles including 3 x 1600 with 400 recoveries.  First two went good to ok....last one....happened.  No students tonight for spin.  Doing the early class tomorrow morning so off to bed.

RunnerKSA, congrats to your 'dores!

Starr, praying for both of you.

Have a greta night everyone!

Joe618

2 treadmill miles after a harrowing drive home from work in a blinding thunderstorm.  Ready to relax and not stress over baseball!

There is no stress in baseball, Karen

• The game is played in a park
            • The players wear caps
            • There is no clock
            • The aim is to be safe at home
            • The foul pole is fair

Relish the game, it's a beautiful thing!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

I got a late start on my morning run & by the time I started it was h&h. Plan for today was 1.5 mile warm up, then 8 miles tempo, finish with 1.5 mile cool down. I didn't take enough water with me and faded on the last mile of the tempo; 1.5 mile warm up, 7.5 mile tempo, 2 mile cool down (with walking). I'm still counting it as an 11 mile run. Smile

Paul

Nice SOS run, Paul.   Yeah, it's 11. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five mile return under clearing skies
                being greeted by cheerleaders
                for Seattle BikeBingo.com
                that I just heard about
                but ends on 6/30.

Tet - Do you count all those stairs, or do you have a FitBit or some such that does the counting? 10-mile Bike’o’mute

Holly - so the real reason I book-ended the 40 times up the steepest 54 stairs at the top of the 305 stair stairway was to double check whether one of the middle mini-flights in the 305 stair stairway was 90 or 92 stairs, . . . but I got 90 on the first ascent and then 92 on the next so will have to try again. 

Actually, I’m having as much trouble keeping track of the number of ascents so am thinking about the swimming lap trick of taking over 40 pennies (or more) over to put on one of the posts at the top as counters for every ascent.

I've thought of a tallywacker but that'd probably be as distracting as trying to count.  Does FitBit or something count stairs or round trips?

Where's Twocat?  Is he lost yet?

Maybe may be heading over to Idaho for a weekend
                with DS but might have to get him to help me
                with a search party for twocat and the posies.

ps falcon - can you stream your spinning?

pps paul - walking used to be anathema to running and didn't count but, if you're out for a run and walk, it counts as a run, . . . I hope, e.g. during my winter walking, I used MapMyWalk but now that, in my mind, I'm out for a run, the same routes are on MapMyRun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

0 miles today because it just didn't happen. Perfect weather, too. I'm tapering a week too soon!

I figured out I probably am not getting enough protein. I generally take in 50grams a day, from dairy and plant (clif bars), because I don't really pay attention. I should be taking in around 150 grams, so now I have an excuse to eat hamburgers to get those complex amino acids only found in animal proteins. I bought a package of ground sirloin 1/3lb frozen patties and will indulge for a while.

running on the sidewalk: non-runners are incredulous when you tell them that it's softer to run on asphalt, and that's why you're in the road instead of on the sidewalk.

Sorry Starr, it's a rough and rocky road.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Star, my love and admiration for you! Hang in there!

Erika, ouch, that hand looks  painful! Congrats on your AG wind! You are amazing.

As for my wings, I did run 4 smile miles this morning, my first run of the week. The Easy Pacer and I did enjoy a backpacking trip over the weekend that left my quads and whole body drained of all energy. A lot of elevation gain in short distances to get to a glacier lake. We really enjoyed our time together and this week was all about recovering the body time.

Looking forward to next weekend when the McSolars will be at our posie hut. Exciting!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good evening masters and thanks for the hugs, prayers and support.  Hope shines brightest when your world is the darkest.  We can at least have a few conversations when we are both home now since he's sober for two days now. I told him how scared i was for him that night.  He has a part in a community play and I feared that that could really be a disaster, but I am thankful and hopeful that this problem is behind him. I wish someone could convince him to talk to a therapist though. I'd like to do couples counselling and have him go alone first.  I've been there and told my story already.  I am hesitant to share with anyone because I feel like I am throwing him under the bus.

I have had a few trips and falls.  One was quite bad, cut my lip big time and should have had stitches. The only critters I see are bunnies scooting in front of me, the bat I almost stepped on and and the red-winged blackbird that dove straight for me (I was wearing a red visor).  I am leary of running underneath the big cottonwood and maple trees.  A storm today took down a branch that was almost two feet in diameter. Heads up!

I am on a slow roll of running my route and it is getting easier.  My Garmin was dead so I used Strava that shows average pace.  I have no idea what to do with this app, but I'll learn. I can't get the Garmin to connect to Garminconnect.com anymore.  Maybe delete everything?

Goodnight all, I love Fridays, and we have a retirement party to go to so that should be fun.  The temps are creeping up to the 90's, jtwili.

p.s. Yes, I am a tough cookie, a hard-headed stubborn Norwegian, to quote my dad.  He was an alcoholic too and would have been 106 on my 7th soberversary

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

There ya go, Starr. Those hard-headed Norwegians are no pushovers. Good for you. I don't use Strava so no help, sorry.

Good stuff here everyone, but its late and I'm tired. Long day at work, but this was my Friday cuz I'm taking tomorrow off. Tomorrow is the day we supposedly find out how badly the governor is going to decimate our budget. Yay.

5.1 easy miles tonight.

TammyinGP

ran 2.8 before the group run started.

then ran 3 with the group.

then had a watermelon rhubarb cider.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

• The players wear caps

Okay, just curious, but what does that have to do with stress?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Okay, just curious, but what does that have to do with stress?

Football players wear helmets...make crushing blows on each other...that is stress.

Wearing a cap, OTOH, is a joyful, summer-like thing to do.   It's only purpose is to keep the sun out of your eyes and that's a fun thing. 

I could go on and on about why I like baseball but this short list is enough.....

________

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There is no stress in baseball, Karen

• The game is played in a park
                                • The players wear caps
                                • There is no clock
                                • The aim is to be safe at home
                                • The foul pole is fair

Relish the game, it's a beautiful thing!!

Can never have too many George Carlin references!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.