Masters Running

Running Saved My Life (Read 182 times)

TomD

Here is an article that I wrote for a couple of running clubs of mine.  One person thought it explained a lot so I thought I would include it here.  It is a little lengthly.

The beginning of 2009 saw me running inside around a couple of basketball courts.  I was feeling fine and doing well.

As some of you may remember my Donna had just found out she had lung cancer.  This would weigh more and more on me during these cold months.

While starting to run on Saturday mornings with my friends at the Olathe Running Club the weather began to get the best of me.  I started having pain and tightness in my chest, but after slowing my running for about 1/4 of a mile they both stopped bothering me.  I discounted this as just being 61 and the cold weather is finally starting to bother me.

When I ran the Snake Run, a 6 hour run, on March 7th my breathing bothered me off and on.  Of course this was my age catching up with me again.

Then with the warmer weather I ran the Flint Hills 50k the following week.  I did great.  I finished 4th overall.

There was not much running for me the next seveal weeks as Donna's health was becoming poorer.  Then after she passed on I still did not run much until the Andrew Jackson Marathon.  My breathing bothered me in the first mile then it went away.  I did well enought to win an age group award.

My summer went well without any pain or tightness.  This was capped off with a great Patroit Run, where I was 8th overall running 47 miles in this 9 hour 11 minute run.

Then the weather got cooler and my breathing became worst.  Finally at "Dude, Where's the Trail", 50k run, I felt miserable throughout and walked a great deal of it.  This was the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

In December I decided to cut back on my training, then see how I did at "Run for the Ranch" on December 27th.  It was another cold day with a wind chill near 10 degrees.  Things went badly for me.  I kept having trouble with breathing and that tightness pain in my chest.

My next run was the Texas Marathon just 5 days later in Kingwood, Texas, an hour north of Houston.  In this moderate weather I did even worst.  I topped out with running for 10 minutes without stopping in Mile 12.  The final 10 miles I ran very little.

Once I finished, I felt much better.  Something was not right.  It was here that I made the decision to see a doctor.  Many runners told me that it could be exercise induced asthma.

The doctor felt it was my heart.  The EKG confirmed it.  My next step was to see a cardiologist.  He felt all I needed was a stent or two.  There was a very outside chance, that I would need open heart surgery.  He thought that I was too healthy for it.  Besides I just ran my 300th marathon.

The stents were to be put in on February 5th.  I would be running again by February 16th.  Well, it turned out that I had one artery with 100% blockage and another with 70% blockage.

My surgeon told me that my running "Saved my Life."  I felt fine except when I would run.  Without running I would of went along with my daily life waiting for the "Big One."

Remember if you keep getting a tightness pain in your chest see a doctor immediately.

For me after completing two marathons in five days with all the blockage God must still have a use for me here.

TomD

Hi all I usally do not post here but seen this and it hit home, I do not run marathons just try to be steady, been streaking. like Tomd I was feeling tightness in chest and shortness of breath so talked to my family doc. he set me up for echo cardiograhm stress test on a Friday and they put 3 stents in me Monday, I had 95% blockage in one and a 100% blockage in an other one they said all my running rerouted some of the arteies around the blockage they said I was a lucky guy and   and hope my troubles over now time will tell. I am postimg this because being a masters forum there will older runners here and just wanted to agree with TomD, if not feeling right get checked out it might be the smartest thing you ever did well keep on running I plan on getting back soon as get green light going in for cardic rehab. Friday care take out there.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - it is very good to hear from you. Believe it or not, I was just thinking about you recently, wondering how you were doing.  I felt such sorrow for you when Donna passed - she was such a lovely woman and I know it was such a difficult time for you.  I still remember and heed advice you game me when I was training for my first marathon.  Strange the lives we touch, even in this virtual world.  Please keep posting.  I know I'm not the only one who misses hearing from you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

arf

MM #405

Tom it is so great to know you are here!   And yes i believe running definitely saved your life!   Are you still running lots of marathons?  I'm curious to know if you still have the cats?   I hope you are happy and feeling good.

arf

wildchild

Carolyn

Strange the lives we touch, even in this virtual world.  Please keep posting.  I know I'm not the only one who misses hearing from you.

I couldn't agree more.  Good to hear from you Tom, and I'm glad you're okay!    You have always been such an inspiration to me - you were always running so many marathons, and had Donna there by your side to support you.  I'm sure she's still there by your side.  Wishing you all the best.

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

What a powerful story TomD!

I am glad that running saved your life.

It is good to see you here!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi Tom! Big grin

I'm sorry about your health problems, but you are lucky that you have a new lease on life now.  I am sorry about Donna, I know how much she meant to you.  I remember when you ran your 200th marathon, and now have more than 300!  You are an inspiration to all and have a good message to share too.

See ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Indeed, it is good to hear from you TomD.  You were always an inspiration, and this is no different.

#artbydmcbride

Thanks for bumping this old thread, Vintagerunner.  It was nice to think about TomD again.  I hope you recover strongly and swiftly and keep running for many years.  And keep posting too of course.  Smile

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

All, Tom posted this three years ago.

Glad the post is still available.  I have good reason to believe that as a runner we tend to notice symptoms that may encourage us to see a cardiologist. I hope all is well with Tom.  Spareribs

I was wondering about this point.  It is dated from three years ago and I was curious as to why.  it seems odd that he would post something like this in the master's forum and that nobody would reply.  So, when I saw Vintagerunner's reply with a 2013 date I became very curious.  Vintagerunner did you bump this thread up or is there something odd about the date function on RA?  TomD if this was posted by you in 2013 how did you manage a 2010 date on it?

Just in case TomD does not reply here he does appear to be alive an well.  With a little bit of sleuthing on my part I found what looks like a recent listing for him.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I was searching stents and running and seen this post from Tom, I just wanted to remind people to keep an eye on things you never know, I imagine I posted this wrong using an old post just thought it would be a reminder for us OLDER runners, I do plan to keep running when I get the green light, am going to start cardiac rehab Friday, everybody take out thereCool

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Marathon Maniac #957

All, Tom posted this three years ago.

I totally missed that.

Why did no one replay to it when it was originally posted, I wonder?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Coastal

Thanks for bumping this up.  It is a good read.  Makes a person think, which is good.

HappyFeat

I was searching stents and running and seen this post from Tom, I just wanted to remind people to keep an eye on things you never know, I imagine I posted this wrong using an old post just thought it would be a reminder for us OLDER runners, I do plan to keep running when I get the green light, am going to start cardiac rehab Friday, everybody take out thereCool

No - you did it exactly right, Bob, and we appreciate your reminder.  Hope your rehab goes smoothly and you are back out running soon.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.