Masters Running

Wednesday May 20 Runs, workouts, rest, and fun (Read 434 times)

The question today is: How long will the marriage last now that the rocket scientist has designated himself my running coach for this Fall's marathon?
    Oh boy! Big grin 45 min of stationary bike this a.m. whilst watching "Dances With Wolves." Nothing like a couple of lovely naked butt shots of Kevin Costner to get the ole HR going! The ankle is still a little painful, but is getting better. Maybe the point of a cortisone shot is to make you forget about the pain for which you initially went to see the doctor. Wink

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

The "thunderstorm" in Seattle proper last night was the very typical Seattle thunderstorm... one blast of lightning, two claps of thunder, and then the show's over. What happens is that it moves east, and then piles up against the Cascades - so folks like Inky on the eastside get more impressive storms than I do. I miss Texas thunderstorms. 11 miles this morning, including 8x6 minute tempo pace cruise intervals w/ 30 second recoveries. And some lifting which was decidedly unfizzy.

Mariposai

SRLopez, I miss those showy thunderstorms we get back home also. Hey, I have a question for you RE: a race course. Can you email me at nancyquiindy at yahoo dot com. Gracias. enkie, a run is a run, regardless if it is broken up or not. Timbo, are you eating????? Thinking of you pal.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timbo, are you eating????? Thinking of you pal.
          Sadly no, I can't...and it's hard to explain. Guess I need to talk to someone. Terrible as I told Holly...I am down 7 pounds since the weekend (155 to 148) 8 easy miles last night where I had to stop and walk many times. I'm sure my track work pretty soon tonight won't be pleasant either. Thanks Nancy Dear Tim You wonderful people really don't need to hear this stuff...but I cherish all of you as caring friends

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mari, how thoughtful of you to remember. As a matter of fact, Crissy (who suffered SCA Feb. 24) has been in Omaha at a rehab center and is due to come home this weekend. She's made great progress and is in wonderful spirits. Her folks will be here from PA, too, so it is a lot to celebrate. Do you know the book My Stroke of Insight? Some of us are reading it--it is the story of a brain scientist who suffered a stroke (left brain) at the age of 37 and her road back. Interestingly, she reports making progress, regaining lost faculties and skills for a full 8 years following the stroke. She truly has a lot of insight. Here's link to her story if you're intrigued: http://www.mystrokeofinsight.com/ Stevie Ray, I thought you were on the verge of giving me some horticultural advice? I really need some. Pulleeze?? Say there Rosie, wife of the Rocket Scientist, I am following cousin Mark; even our little local paper picked the wire service report of his victory as one of the 3 MLB stories they printed today! Now another reason to envy your family Yes --> green with envy..... Hi Erika, thinking of you today---I had a PT visit. Tim, not eating is stupid. At least get some Ensure http://ensure.com/products/ and take in some calories. No Drama King stuff, you're better than that. (Consider this admonishment delivered in my best older sister a/k/a "Lucy" voice, got that Linus? And don't get me started on the blanket!) Isn't Riblet a little young to be downing beer? Shocked Finally, local lilacs are glorious. You can smell them all over, and our neighbor across the alley has a whole row of them! grins, A oops! 5 miles in 75 degrees at a 8:51 pace.
            Masters 2000 miles
            xor

No, because I truly do not know what 'pokeys' are in this context.

evanflein

Hi Aamos! I'm doing great. Still having a little soreness but mainly from sitting. Damn desk job. Oh well, PT is happy with my progress and I'd decided earlier that I'd start some easy running this week. She thought that'd be ok. I have a feeling she thought after my appointment tomorrow... but I couldn't help it. Such a gorgeous day... 4 easy miles in bright sunshine on one of my favorite trails. Love it. Yes Our lilacs aren't blooming yet, but in a couple of weeks will be in full bloom. I have a crabapple tree in my yard that just looks snowy with all the white blossoms. Gorgeous, for about 2 and a half days. Then we get a windy day and the flowers are all over the yard. Oh well. It's sure pretty when it's there.
                  Tim - during stressful times like this, you must FORCE yourself to eat. I know it is easier not to, but DO IT. Eat a gallon of ice cream tonight, pleeze! Aamos, "my stroke of insight" I read that book a few months ago! I gave it to a friend and when she called last week to return it, she said she had bought several more copies to distribute to other friends.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

Do you know the book My Stroke of Insight? Some of us are reading it--it is the story of a brain scientist who suffered a stroke (left brain) at the age of 37 and her road back. Interestingly, she reports making progress, regaining lost faculties and skills for a full 8 years following the stroke. She truly has a lot of insight. Here's link to her story if you're intrigued: http://www.mystrokeofinsight.com/
                    Yes, my sister read it last year after my Mom had her stroke (age 81). Hers was pretty severe and exacerbated by slow response to medical care by my Dad. Mom's just about 100% back exactly a year later. My sister would give me a synopsis of the points she thought were relevant for helping Mom, and I did my best to reinforce those things when I was with her. We keep hearing from those who deal with her how "miraculous" her recovery was. I guess it was, given that she didn't want to live anymore once my Dad died, which was 3 months after her stroke. Someday, I'll have to read it myself.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

timbo, don't you make my wings go all mad at you...........eat Angry... cheeseburger, icecream, whatever you have at hand. Drink water too... Like Enkie said, you need to force yourself to eat. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is something I fear about any time people is undergoing shocking and stressful events in their lives. Even opening a can of noodle soup would be better than nothing...the more wholesome the food is the better, of course.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Karin, I wish I could have run there with you this morning. That way, I could bore you with stories about what happened in various places along the way, which at least would have made the miles pass easier. Big grin.
                        I would have loved that! Smile rochrunner G'burg is a longtime client and every visit there is full of interesting new discoveries. Aamos....My Stroke of Insight has been on my mind a great deal. The author was the keynote speaker at a women's leadership conference I attended in early May and if any of you have a chance to meet her in person, don't pass it up. I have to confess that it took me several attempts to read the book all the way through. In some ways I wish I had read it before my father's stroke and yet I wouldn't have been prepared. Tim....EAT! ....at the airport now, filling time and happy to be on the way home as always.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nothing like a couple of lovely naked butt shots of Kevin Costner to get the ole HR going!
                          I heard he used a stand-in for those shots.... Okay, not really.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

Is true. That's my backside.

Is true. That's my backside.
                              Blush Blush just realized i posted my time wrong for the Bedford 12K - -1:09:18 not the minute faster that i posted - oh well -- either way i was very pleased with how i felt!! worked last night, slept a friends house today to be closer, quieter (construction on my street) and avoid Red Sox traffic --- i love the sox but the games start at 7:05 and kill me when i'm trying to get to work for 7p --- anyway, all that meant i could get up and run a hilly 3miles before coming back to work tonight!! Aamos - so glad to hear Crissy is recovering well!! Tim - EAT end of story!! great runs out there today and if it's a rest day enjoy the rest and do it well!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

No drama ok, just can't....eat. Eating would make me feel guilty (sorry) Everyone else seems to have their life's together...why am I so different Track workout went great...if walking most of it is good. Posted this late as to not mess up the daily...I love you all very much. As I told Holly, I don't take bad things very well. When Karen my wife - the love of life divorced me for another man....I didn't eat for 28 days. I really loved her...and my Timmy - Joey - and my sweetie Katie....Karen really was the love of my life (I cherished the ground she walked on) I know that is not what you all want to hear...but I love you all at RA This is a way of expressing myself....but really don't want it read or commented on. I like to keep track of my life and write in a journal everyday That's why late night here seems ok...it's late But, still really miss the human interaction on my part...a real hug would go a long ways Nancy...you are right on GF Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!