Masters Running

Race Reports for the January 20&21 weekend (Read 22 times)

Mariposai

Wishing good luck and speed to all our weekend racers!!

The Intrepid Race thread has only one racer on the list, but I am sure many others are racing this weekend.

We are looking forward to reading your race reports!

01/21 Catwhoorg - Locomotive Half (Rescheduled date)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I am posting this to avoid a violent end to my existence here on earth. I tell you do not cross that Mariposai lady!

I ran the local Boston Buildup 15k race today (Sunday). Things looked like they were starting well, but I managed to change all that! I got up early, got dressed and went downstairs to get ready to go. Hmm I thought to myself. I have about 25 minutes before I need to leave. Plenty of time to start some Irish brown bread baking. My DW would surely take it out when ready. Off to mixing. Of course, it took longer than planned. I popped the loaves into the oven about a minute after 8:00 and I had wanted to be on the road about 5 minutes earlier.  I rushed to the car with my race gear and headed out. Well, no matter I did allow some extra time. A few miles from home I realized that my gloves were AWOL. I must have left them in the house in my rush to get out. No, my DW would later inform me, I dropped them on the floor in my rush to get out.  Cold hands it would be.

I fear my story about getting to the start is as exciting as this report gets. I arrived with about 15 minutes to spare. Picked up my bib, yakked with some friends and we started. I really do not like this race course. It is like running inside a fish bowl. Down a steep hill to start. Then sort of flat for awhile. Then up a steep hill. Then turn around and go back down the hill. Flat for a bit and back up the very first hill we ran down. This course is also about as bad as it gets given the way I race. I start slow (on purpose) and then work my speed up as I go along. Plus, relatively speaking, I am a far better downhill than uphill runner. In the end I finished right in the middle of the pack. Nothing to write home about. Post race I found out my friend had restored a '63 split rear window Vette that he has owned since the 60's. Really incredible! I am a car enthusiast, but he beats me by a mile.

If you want to see what the course profile looks like check out the relive at https://www.relive.cc/view/g17213772148. That hump in the middle is the back end of the fish bowl.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

what inquiring minds really want to know is if the bread turned out okay?? 

nice racing by the way 

Tammy

The bread turned out quite well thank you. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I just love those folks that show up a few minutes before a race and have to find a parking spot, get checked in, and make it to the start without the race director delaying things until everyone is ready.  This wasn't you apparently, but it reminded me of "those people".

I keep a spare pair of $1 gloves in the "glove compartment" of my cars because I learned that I occasionally forget them on the way to a race.

Mariposai

Twocat, only you will think to bake soda bread just before going out for a race! You are priceless.

It seems like you had a very good race, even without the gloves. Next time, do what Dave59 says Smile

Thanks for writing this report. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I got in my race for January, this is now 190 months in a row with a race.  The race wasn't very good, although I still easily won the 60-69 age group. The race was in Spicer, the Frozen 5k. Unfortunately there was a lot of frozen ice on the roads so we all had to be real careful in the run and so the times were slow. My time was something like 24:52, about what i expected since my hamstring hasn't heeled yet.  It was a fun race and I am hoping that I will stay healthy enough to keep running at least until November so I will hit 200 months for my race streak.

spinach

oops

Mariposai

I got in my race for January, this is now 190 months in a row with a race.  The race wasn't very good, although I still easily won the 60-69 age group. The race was in Spicer, the Frozen 5k. Unfortunately there was a lot of frozen ice on the roads so we all had to be real careful in the run and so the times were slow. My time was something like 24:52, about what i expected since my hamstring hasn't heeled yet.  It was a fun race and I am hoping that I will stay healthy enough to keep running at least until November so I will hit 200 months for my race streak.

This is amazing! !! 190 months in a row. Please keep posting your races. I want to follow up with your adventure

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat and Spinach - well done!  I am glad no one fell on the ice and that the bread turned out okay!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

that is impressive - 190 months! Excellent spinach!   well, spinach isn't excellent, but you are 

Tammy