Masters Running

Friday September 5 runs and stuff (Read 577 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timbo, I thought all stud muffins had stamina! Blush
    Ummmm, only on the short haul...I'm not 18 years old any more ya know Blush Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Well, my first week of Latin teaching is over, and it went very well. I don't like to brag, but in June when I applied for a full-time job teaching at another school, they had me come in to teach a real live class while my evaluators sat in the back of the room staring at me with beady eyes. At the end of that class, the students actually clapped. But I wasn't hired for that job because I'm not yet state-certified. In my current job I am a long-term sub, and certification is not required. At the end of today's class they didn't actually clap, but they made several nice comments, including: "That was a solid class." "I learned a lot today." "You're doing a great job." Big grin Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      evanflein

Well, Dark Horse, those are the comments you want to hear! Good job, and I bet you'll really enjoy that class. Carolyn, ready to rock and roll! Good luck on your race, 10ks are a good test I think. I little more work than a 5k but not the commitment of a half-marathon. Tselbs, I had that sort of run yesterday! I chalked it up to running at such a drastically different time of the day for me. I went out for what was supposed to be an "easy" run, but fast felt easy today for the most part. So much different than yesterday when the pace was slower but the effort so much harder... Ended up with sort of a progressive tempo pace run, avg pace was 7:58. I need to stay off that dirt bike path when I'm trying for easy. It just says "Go!" to me too much. Mile Splits: 8:10, 8:10, 8:07, 7:51, 7:34, and 7:47 for the last half mile. IRC with clouds and sun, 52F and no wind. Here's hoping these conditions hang around for two more weeks! (that's pushing it, though)
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Dark Horse, good job! Can you please move to Maine?? DS is NOT impressed with his Latin teacher. He and another boy told me they're bored to death and hardly doing anything. DS is thinking of just studying ahead on his own. Argh.
            Dark Horse, the students made those comments to you??? Well I am impressed then. Great job and if you enjoy it, I am sure it will lead to better things. Wildchild, you are gonna rock that 10K!! Someday I want to run as fast as evanflein, if only for 3 miles! (and be able to call it an easy run!) Tim - I think endurance gets you through a marathon, and stamina gets you to the finish holding the same pace you started out with. Good luck with all the long runs and races this weekend! Good luck to Lyndenrunner! I might actually have a decent run in me tomorrow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly and Karin - great run in the rain for you two - must have been so fun!! Gordon - you are so ready for your marathon!! happy racing!! Tim - i'm with the camp that says stay in a hotel the night before if money is no object -- i hate the thought of driving an hour or more to a race Mari - i LOVE pesto!! Teresa - my 18yr old and his gf are going to the game Monday night as well - they will take the T tho Mary - sorry your 13 miles were "lackluster" but WAY TO GO!! that's great mileage!! Aamos - i'll be rooting (and praying) for our Red Sox tonight!! DH - that's high praise coming from students!! nice job!! and to all i missed - hope you had a wonderful Friday!! i wasn't feeling too well this morning so went back to bed - kind of a theme with me eh?? but i did hit the gym this afternoon: treadmill - 3.5 miles - 10:30, 9:40, 9:30 then kept the 9:30 pace for the last 1/2 mile - felt good then 15 minutes arc trainor followed by some light stretching and some ab work tomorrow meeting up with fellow MVS runners and going in to South Boston to run the Ollie 5 miler!! can't wait - i love meeting up with people from my running group for races - we have so much fun!! one of my co-workers who i race with a lot might join us as well!!

denise

Here is what Ron Daws had to say in "The Self-Made Olympian"
                I hope you all know why Spareribs is always quoting from this book. It is because he has it and we don't, and he wants to rub it in. This outstanding book has been out of print for decades, and if you try to buy it on the used or rare book market, you will have to fork over lots of cash--some booksellers charge hundreds of dollars for it. However, I just found the book online, at a small used bookshop in East Hoathly, Lewes, Sussex, England, the kind of place name that belongs in a P.G. Wodehouse book. They probably didn't know what they had. My total cost including shipping is only $25.87, which I think is equal to about 2 British pounds nowadays, or 1.5 euros, thanks to the steady decline in value of our currency, due to the U.S. treasury's printing press which George W. Bush keeps going night and day in the White House basement. Hey, why do we need any federal taxes? We can just print money to fund all federal obligations. Dubya may have stumbled on a financial panacea which eluded all the great minds that came before him: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln ... even FDR displayed a petty bourgeois concern for the possible negative impact of endless gargantuan federal budget deficits, but not our great leader C-Plus Augustus. Dark Horse
                  Friday - 6.04 miles - easy / progressive - 51:04 (8:27) Avg HR 126 Max HR 139, 78 degrees and 78% humidity. 8:45 - 8:43 - 8:39 - 8:30 - 8:17 - 7:50 - 0:17

King of PhotoShop

I hope you all know why Spareribs is always quoting from this book. It is because he has it and we don't, and he wants to rub it in. This outstanding book has been out of print for decades, and if you try to buy it on the used or rare book market, you will have to fork over lots of cash--some booksellers charge hundreds of dollars for it. However, I just found the book online, at a small used bookshop in East Hoathly, Lewes, Sussex, England, the kind of place name that belongs in a P.G. Wodehouse book. They probably didn't know what they had. My total cost including shipping is only $25.87, which I think is equal to about 2 British pounds nowadays, Dark Horse
                    You got yourself a steal. You know what I also have? A several page handwritten letter that he sent to me to help me train for Boston many years ago after I had come off an injury and didn't have a lot of time to prepare. No internet or email back then. Here is a guy who sits down in his home one night and decides to help someone he hardly knows, and writes this long and beautiful letter. His other book "Running Your Best" is clearer, has an index, and is better organized, but "The Self-Made Olympian" came from his heart and there are passages that still bring tears to my eyes. Spareribs
                      You know what I also have? A several page handwritten letter that he sent to me to help me train for Boston many years ago after I had come off an injury and didn't have a lot of time to prepare. No internet or email back then. Here is a guy who sits down in his home one night and decides to help someone he hardly knows, and writes this long and beautiful letter.
                      Very nice. I don't have a letter from Ron Daws but at the gym tonight I was the recipient of a rant about running shoes from our local running luminary, a former 4:03 miler back in the '70s who still holds a boatload of local records. Due to the length of his rant, I was unable to finish my workout because I had to leave to pick up Dark Colt at soccer practice. On the plus side, he said he had seen me run and said I had a nice stride and good speed. He advised me to lose the Saucony Stabils which weigh about 5 pounds apiece and prevent any arch flex, and get a lighter neutral shoe instead. I don't want to get too fancy, but I may look for a pair of lighter neutral shoes and give them a try, just to see. Dark Horse

King of PhotoShop

Horse, during my recuperation I am reading War and Peace. Mesmerized now by Tolstoy and his passion and love for his country and how he takes off on so many different issues. He makes a number of allusions to chess also, which you would enjoy. I know you have read this, but I am on page 900 of 1380 pages. I thought when I started I would never get through it, but am now at that point in the later stages of a book where you begin to feel sad because you know that soon the book will be finished. Over on Kick I posted a passage from the book from early on, but no one seems to be interested. Has anyone else read the book? I am going to slow down my reading now to make it last. Spareribs
                          Horse, during my recuperation I am reading War and Peace. Mesmerized now by Tolstoy and his passion and love for his country and how he takes off on so many different issues. He makes a number of allusions to chess also, which you would enjoy. I know you have read this
                          Ribs, I have not read it, but I saw the movie. When I was a boy in the mid-1960s, a long Russian version came out in two parts, and I saw both parts at a theater in Hartford, Connecticut. Part 1 played for a few weeks; then Part 2 played for a few weeks. Each part was something like four hours long. Was it Cinerama? Possibly. I was a young boy but it made a lasting impression. Dark Horse
                            Over on Kick I posted a passage from the book from early on, but no one seems to be interested. Has anyone else read the book? I am going to slow down my reading now to make it last. Spareribs
                            There are a few of those classics on my to-read list, Ribs, but sometimes the older style of wordy writing does make them a bit tedious to get through. I've made it through Moby Dick and Les Miserables, and might try some others. I recently reread Tale of Two Cities from a copy that belonged to my father when he read it in high school in the 1920s. I was surprised at how much came back to me, but was also reminded why I found it so hard to read when I was in the 10th or 11th grade! But at least I don't claim to know a book because I've "seen the movie" like some others here who won't be mentioned by name.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Ribs, I saw both parts at a theater in Hartford, Connecticut. Part 1 played for a few weeks; then Part 2 played for a few weeks. Each part was something like four hours long. Was it Cinerama? Possibly. Dark Horse
                              Possibly Cinema City in Hartford? It was on the brink of closing, but was bought out and still lives on! I haven't been there in many, many years... http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-764154_ITM