Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 08/01/09) (Read 318 times)

jfa

Hi Kids, good to see everyone chatting it up on a Friday!

Leslie- Christo is the guy/satan/masochist in Cindy's joke,earlier in the thread. I bet you could kick his butt!

Thanks for calling me a machine Jewels,nicest thing anyone's said to me today! Have fun Biking!

Fast Ev! How ya been? Good Luck with your race! You must have a nice collection of medals and t-shirts by now! I was laying low talking about my streak but I gave it up. It gets to be a bit of a neurosis and I found that it can lead to non-fun running. Don't need that. I got to 80 days and gave it up.

Sorry about your BIL Cindy. Sounds like a fun run for you last night. That fast hubster of yours, has he ever thought about running in Boston?

I have the Sea Girt 5k race on Sun morning.This will be my second 5k and I learned from the last one that I need about a 3 miles warmup first. Should be fun!

MTA- posting at same time Jim- Good to see you and hang in there Pal. We're pulling for you.

Okay - Went back and reread the joke.

Cindy - Will keep your BIL and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Jim - You and Lynda have been on my mind a lot lately.  Good to hear from you.

Joe and Ev - Good luck with your runs this weekend!  And I hear ya, Joe, on taking 3 miles to warm up.  By then, those darn 5ks are over!

Cindy - Re my back-to-backs.  Right now I run them on the trails because I want more trail time.  Once I get up in the mid to high 20s, though, I'll take the second day down to the beach and run in the hard sand.  At that point, it's just a matter of getting the miles on the legs, and I can get the 10 done faster.

I appreciate all your comments on my training schedule.  It's hard to compare (which isn't really the word I want to use) myself to others to see if I'm training hard enough because nobody else in this forum does trail running.  I also post on the trail running forum, but it's pretty quiet in there since Kelly doesn't post much anymore, and she and another guy over there run 100-milers.  Suffice to say, I'm not up to that!  Sometimes it feels like I'm not doing enough, but I know that's not true.  I keep wanting to see more outward results (like actually seeing physical changes in my body), but it's all just a mental thing.  I still have a hard time seeing myself as an athlete, since I never was at any other time in my life - not by a long shot.  I'm getting there, though.  Give me another year or two.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

6 miles for me this afternoon. 

Jim....yes, hang in there.  Better times ahead.  We've all heard that life has its ups and downs.  It's never static.....always in a state of flux.  And when you're in a valley, there's no place to go but up.  And when you're on top of the world, well, it's not likely you'll stay there forever either.   I know I'm not tellin' you something you don't already know.  As Joe said, "We're pullin' for you."   And indeed we are.

Joe, I am beginning to get quite a collection of t-shirts.  Just about all I wear are race shirts.  Good luck on the Sea Girt.

Hey to all!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

8.1 tonight on the hills in 78* rain. Quite a fun run.

Good Luck  this weekend to  Ev + Jim and Lynda too if she's in it!

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - sending good vibes your way. I hope the running is therapeutic during these tough times.

Cindy - sorry to hear the news about your BIL. I can't imagine how hard that must be for him and for your family, hang in there. 

Leslie - Hey, you can only do so much with your time, I don't know how those 100 mpw people find the time, but your routine looks intense to me! I've given up on the idea of seeing outward changes in my body from running...I know there are inner changes (like a lower resting HR), and I'm hoping that at least I'm slowing down age-related outward changes!  

Had a nice 9 miler at the coast near LA today, along the trail at Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Lots of people watching! I did the last mile barefoot, unfortunately the concrete path that looked so nice and smooth had enough sand on it to do some damage to my poor feet! DOH! So now I'm missing some skin and have some dandy blisters as well.

Arla

Ex runner

Good morning and GOOD LUCK to all our weekend racers, enjoy!

Cindy, sorry to hear that the news was not positive regarding your BIL. Thankfully they removed most of the mass and hoping the chemo/radiation takes care of the rest.

Off to Daytona for the day......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Geez Cindy, I'm sorry about your BIL.I must have read the post with my optimistic eyes and thought it said something else. Our thoughts and prayers go out for him and his family.

Mtn....I'm sorry about your BIL.  Prayers of strength comfort and healing go out to him, his family and all who know him. 

Jim....Prayers going out to you and Lynda and your community also.  I guess I missed your racing plans....good luck!

Joe....are you STILL running in the rain?!!   Good luck today!

Arla....nice running along the beach...you're fortunate.  It took me a couple of reads of your post.....I get it now....."Lots of people watching."  At first, I thought you meant, "Lots of people watching." 

Jewels....I trust you enjoyed Daytona.....go to the beach?

Yesterday's race.........

Rock N Run 5K    Benefiting the regional food banks "Food for Kids" program.  Kids get a backpack and each Friday can get the pack filled with food to last them the weekend.   The schools have lunch programs for the kids through the week, but this program ensures they have enough food for the weekend.

This is the first year for the race.  Very small but fun and spirited turn out....about 25 racers and several more spectators and volunteers. As you know my training has slowed a bit over the last 3 weeks so I wasn't expecting a great race from myself. 

2nd OA and 2nd AG.  The race was run on the asphalt trails (certified 5K course) where I do most all my running.....so I had home course advantage. 

I was in third place from the beginning.  It was obvious that the lead runner was pulling away and that I had no chance to catch him.  I also knew from past races that he is much faster than me.  But the guy in second place (John) was also someone that I've raced against several times.  I think I've beat him to the finish line every time. 

At the 1K mark,  John (where's Matthew and  Luke?) is about 50 yards or so ahead of me, but I feel like I can catch him.  My first K was faster than I thought I should be running, so I slow down just a bit.  But John isn't pulling away so I'm thinking all is good. 

2K I begin to pick it up a bit.  And at 3K I can see I'm pulling closer to John.  (I can barely see the lead runner).  With a little over 1K to go, I pull up next to him.  I can hear his labored breathing.  I'm feeling pretty strong.  He stays with me for a while but as I continue on strong, he falls off pace. 

I ended up 2nd with John close behind for third.  He has obviously picked up his training and ran a really good race. 

I was very surprised to see my time of 23:32 .  I didn't think I had that in me at this time. 

After the awards presentations I took another lap of the course for a slow recovery jog. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, Ev, nice racing! Very exciting to read about it. 2nd OA and 2nd AG- so, where were the younger racers?

Just went for it and had a nice 6 mi last night in Vibram Five Fingers. Risking serious calf and foot soreness, but things seem ok.

Going to start logging my cross-training. Seems that logging workouts and having upcoming races are the two things that keep me honest and consistent. That, and mentioning cross-training here, like Leslie does. It's a bit embarrassing, but I did a measly two sets of burpees (10 on the first set, only made 8 for the second set) and some core work. Those burpees are tough!!

Ex runner

Wow, Ev, nice racing! Very exciting to read about it. 2nd OA and 2nd AG- so, where were the younger racers?

Those burpees are tough!! 

Thanks.  The top 4 finishers were in the 40-49 year age division.  Where were the younger racers?.......Eatin' our dust!

What's a burpee?

Queen of 3rd Place

Ex runner

Ev - Great race!!  Way to go on the 2 & 2!  And I read the same thing in Arla's post the first time re people watching.  I was like, "Huh?  Oh!"

Arla - Burpees.  A "measly" two sets?  Cripes - those suckers are hard!  I keep intending to add them to my workout, but I conveniently keep forgetting.   If you have time, go checkout the Weekly Run & XTraining thread.  Sort of helps to keep us honest withourselves.

Had a good, but tiring, 14-mile trail run yesterday.  Then The Hub and I drove up here to Brookings, OR, to hang out for a couple days to celebrate our 22nd anniversary.  Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been that long.  Had a little too much fun last night with margaritas, but I pushed myself through 7 hangover miles this a.m.  Was suppose to be 10, but I figured I'd gone from one end of town to the other, I was hungover and hungry, so enough was enough.  At breakfast, ordered the short stack of pancakes.  They were so frigging big, I could only eat one.

Went for a drive up the Chetco River, and on the way back were flagged down by a couple of guys who found a fire smoldering on the side of the road.  Some jerk - or jerks - had built a fire, probably during the night.  There was a dead log buried under where the fire was, and it was ready to take off, big time.  It's so dry around here, it was a disaster waiting to happen.  We hung out to watch for embers while the other two took off a phone (no cells signal there) and a couple of shovels.  Disaster averted.  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance