Masters Running

On being childish, running, reading, and politics ... (don't read if you don't like politics or me) (Read 452 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Twocat, I agree with you about how lucky we are. One of the best things I've done was to take my two boys to South Africa when they were 10 and 13. I insisted we go on a tour of a township, even though my mom was not thrilled. For my boys to see kids in donated uniforms HAPPY to be in "schools" that were in deplorable condition was worth the cost of the trip. The classrooms were in metal buildings that looked like railroad cars. The temperature had to have been 90 degrees inside. But those kids were smiling and sang beautifully for us tourists who were traipsing through. We also went to a soup kitchen operated by a township resident - after 20 years, the government has FINALLY started giving her a little money to help. DS10 went up to her and said, "It's a very kind thing you are doing." She replied that she was just so happy that we were visiting the township, because most white South Africans never make the effort. It is quite something to see shacks sprawling over such a huge expanse - over a million people live in the township right outside of Cape Town.