Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 8/24/08 (Read 476 times)

Holly, My comments on your comment "no rest or recovery?" that you have inserted a few times next to my totals n recent months: Easy or slow runnning IS rest and recovery. The best races I've ever run in my life have come during periods when I've run every day. And believe me, there have been plenty of stretches over the years when I've taken lots of days off. It is true that I sometimes do some dumb things such as putting hard efforts and/or races too close together, but running every day is not one of them. These so called rest days are way overrated, imo. The key is to go easy on easy days and not race our harder workouts. It is also important to run easily until I feel recovered from last hard effort before doing the next one. This is where I sometimes run into trouble--not beause of running almost everyday (and sometimes twice). I get an occassional little "niggle" as they say down under, but thus far have never had a serious injury (knock on wood) in 30 years of doing this. Three years ago I had to take 10 days off with a minor one, which is by far my most down time ever due to injury. This is not a "chew out" btw...just wanted to let you know where I stand on this Smile. It is great to see that you are back at it again.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marathon Maniac #957

Jim – I appreciate the explanation. I do know there are a lot who run every day, but usually some of the runs will be 4-5 mile recovery runs. I commented on yours because you will run every day with none being particularly short. There was some discussion about this a while back, with Spareribs chiding some of us for doing “8-mile recovery runs,” thinking that running slow was enough to make it a recovery run, while his point of view was that 8 miles was too far for real recovery. Having come into running sort of later in life, I’m always watching what others do, listening, experimenting, and trying to find what works for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Holly, that's some of my own questions also about recovery runs and rest days. I would rather run 6 - 7 - 8 miles super easy (and call them recovery miles) then 3 or 4. But like you, I am a late bloomer also, and trying to learn as much as I can from the people here at RA. I am still in the air about running everyday...but want to....I am definitely a work in process Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, my 40.0000000000 miles weren't good enough for inclusion? Cry
          Ooops! Sorry! Gotcha now. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm with Jim on the lengthier miles on rest days with the caveat that you run the miles easy and don't pay as much attention to time. I haven't had a major injury in quite a while either and I do lots with strength and stability training as well. I have been running for more than 30 years and can handle lots of miles. I think Ribs worries about a newer runner going for more than 4 miles or so for recovery. Not that I'll speak for him! It's all about balancing the exuberance we all feel when a run is going well so we can have good workouts and great races. One of my training partners would be much faster than I am, but she races every single workout. Anyway....an experiment of one with new twists and turns every year! CNYrunner/Karin
            Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

You Rock, Girl!
              Barefoot Rick - welcome! I have updated last week's tally to put you in. Smile
              Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                http://barefootrunner.org

Hill Runner

Thanks Holly, Ongoing chronic issues with my left AT... Sun Mon 10.15 Tue 8.02 Wed Thur Fri 10.15 Sat 8.02 Didn't quite make 40 this week... only 36.3

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I ran 41 miles this week! First time I've ever made it above the big 4-0 so I thought I'd pop in and say hi to this illustrious group. 44 scheduled for next week - heaven help me!! Wink Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Two weeks in a row for me! 40.4 miles this week. I needed to put in 27 miles the last 3 days to make it, but I got it. I felt a lot better on this weeks MLR than last week's. That's gotta be progress. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Ultrachick

Better late than never!
                      DayPlanActualCommentary
                      Monday68 Trail run & Run/walk class
                      Tuesday86.13m course warm-up, 5K trail race
                      Wednesday12 5 Tired, ran out of time, 5k mtn bike race
                      Thursday8 8
                      Friday6 4 Too hot!
                      Saturday12 12.75k race & trail run
                      Sunday20 20.230k trail race (course long)
                      Total72 64 Needed a rest week
                      It's official-I've been training for this all year-I've registered for my first 100 mile race, the Iroquois Trail 100 in NY on Sept 20-21. Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      Mariposai

Busy week of traveling, meetings and sight seeing in DC. It is so good to be back home. Monday: 11 miles Tuesday: 7 miles walk Wednesday: 13 miles in the national mall plus 4 miles walk Thursday: rest Friday: 5 miles plus a great dinner with the Beers and Hally Saturday: 1o miles plus 3 miles walk Sunday: 4 miles hills Total: 43 miles plus 14 miles of walking.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi Holly - no rest days but lots of easy ones on the nice soft grass--it makes a difference. If all on the pavement I might need some days off. Thanks again--I see your mileage is creeping back up there Yes Mon - 8 miles at 8:40 on grass loop Tue - 8 miles - same as yesterday Wed - 9 miles including 4 x 800 @ 3:07, 2 x 400 @ 91, 4 x 200 @ 44-45 Thu - 8 miles at 8:23 on grass Fri - 8 miles at 8:32 on grass Sat - 9 miles at 8:18 on grass Sun - 18 miles including 6 x 1600 x 200 jog - 6:38 avg TOTAL - 68 miles
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          HermosaBoy

8/17/2008 — 8/23/2008: 81.8 Mi 9:34:40 Includes 4 legs in the Great River Relay...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob