Masters Running

40s On the Run - I am Grateful for My Friends (Wk of 05/11/08) (Read 498 times)

Top 'O the World!

Jewels!!! Glad you guys are okay!! The fires are still a primary on network news! Cripes, it looks like quite a bit of FL in on fire! Shocked Our prayers are w/your friends & neighbors as well! I hope they have THE b@$t@rd man responsible!! Angry dontcha just love police dogs! Evil grin dragged my butt through 5.07 leaden miles after a quiet day @ work this afternoon.....Mairead wanted to go much faster than I was apparently capable of! Sad ......just how long is this supposed to take to get back to feeling somewhat normal again?!?! Confused
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Jewels - Hugs and hearts, thoughts, and prayers to you and your friends and all who have lost there. Hopefully the guy they got is the same person. Cindy - Hang in there. You'll find your legs again. Just keep at it. We arrived in Pleasanton after about 7 hours on the road, and boy is it warm down here. Suppose to be in the '90s. That's a tad warm for us Nor Cal seaside gals. So we spent a good deal of time shopping. And I am pleased to announce that Macy's had a GREAT deal on brazziers (sp?), ladies. Bought four of those boulder holders (knew you boys would like that one. Wink ) Checked out the health club next door here to the hotel. It's HUGE! Every cardio machine has its own TV, there's a huge weight room, 3 or 4 BOSU's (woo hoo!). I'll be chugging on the treadmill the next two days, but at least I'll have a TV in front of me. Well, I'm a bit dipsy 'cause I'm absolutely exhausted. Later!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Lynda was wanting to try a tempo today and didn't really want to use my garmin to set pace. The Mcmillan calculator put her tempo at my recovery pace so I let her get a head start then caught up to her midrun and did a mile at her tempo pace with her then ran off ahead while she did a cooldown so about 3.1 in total. My speedwork tommorow. Jewels glad you are ok, the guy they showed on tv as the accused arsenist looked like a real headcase. Cindy you'll find your legs soon. If you are already doing 5 milers again you are well on your way. Leslie, Lynda thanks you for bringing up your shopping trip as it reminded me of an "earworm" from Bette I have been serenading her with checking fields this morning. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bettemidler/ottotitsling.html Joe did coach Bud give you another workout yet? Still muddy in the cornfield, maybe tommorow.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Farmer Jim - Too funny!! It's freaking hot here. Suppose to get up in triple digits. It was at least 95 when we headed back to the hotel from a warm morning wandering around old town Pleasanton. Ate breakfast at Dean's Cafe, which must've had at least 200 different omlette choices in the menu. Did my 3 miles on the dreadmill with the other gym rats. I am reminded yet again why I don't belong to a gym. Tomorrow's 1.5 hour run should be a real blast. Dead Well, I just wanted to pop in and say "Hey." Gotta go bet a bite before my part of the conference begins. Later!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- Jewels- Sooo glad that you and your family are ok. That's serious stuff alright. Are the fires out ? Can't say here what I would recommend as punishment for the creep(s) that caused that destruction. Leslie- Good luck in your travels.That's alot of heat to get used to. Cindy- Beautiful baby you have there! Congrats again to you and yours. Better get those legs in shape for your next race. Aren't you doing the BB along with Farm? Farm- that sounds nice that you and Lynda find a way to run together. Only way I can get DW to run is to have something chasing her! Evil grin Been having a very busy week at work so not much time to post. This week's running however, has been splendid for both Buddy and I. What a difference in being very relaxed without a race looming to push us along.Just taking our time..... C ya's

jfa

Credit goes to Rundadrun27 on another thread, but thought this was really funny... http://runnerville.com/2008/04/08/outkicked-the-eleven-natural-enemies-of-every-runner

Top 'O the World!

Thas toooo funny Joe!!! Big grin I saved it to keep reading....no time now....& who/what should be chasing DW?!?! Evil grin Jim: sentcha a bit more rain for today too....I'm thinkin' ya must need "one more day off!" Wink DH went out for an "easy 2ish" last night....doesn't seem the worse for wear ( Confused Evil grin ) hmmrph! well, I guess I don't want him to hurt himself @ BB! Roll eyes I power walked 2 this am w/Mairead...just loosening things up...then ran w/the Snug Runners this eve for 3.3 in 33 mins...including crowd control, stop lights & two major potty stops for Mairead! I paced 3 young ladies (25ish) for about 2 miles (their pace - I stayed just behind em including catching back up after said potty stops)....then I kicked it up a notch....@ each crossing, they were catching up/staying w/me - right behind me..kinda like some funky caterpillar!!... .until the last 2 blocks!! one by one, they dropped into that "discomboberated" walk Big grin Garmin says about that time: "best pace: 6:38!!" Big grin I still have an "awareness" of right quad but, apparently things are coming along just fine!! Whoo-Hoo!!! some of the folks are starting to do two loops around the park......hmmmm mebbe next week...... Ciao!~ Cindy
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Okay, Joe - I was laughing so hard. Very funny. Great end to a wonderful (but sweaty) evening here in Pleasanton. Cindy - Glad the bod has finally come around. Give Mairead a scratch on the head from me. Night, all!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

4.0 with Jonathan's patented 3-2-1 REA pole speedwork with a couple hill repeats thrown in for fun. You won't find that workout in Runners World. Wink Last hard workout before BB. Jonathan told me to only run enough next week to feel like a runner. Confused Those were good Joe. Big grin more later, gotta keep moving Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Just a quick check - mom's taking a nap Big grin Jewels - glad you're OK - incredibly scary stuff! Cindy - 5 mi sounds pretty good this soon! Hang in there.. Leslie - my HR monitor did that to me, too, at first. I had to slow down a lot... Our first REALLY hot week of the year, triple digits, a bit early - luckily I'm doing an easy week - a little easier than expected so far, it's hard with mom here, and we have no TV, so there's nothing for her to do, I feel bad going out for even a quick run... Have a good weekend, everyone Arla

Ex runner

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone-just popping in for a quick catch-up. Another crazy week coming to an end witha little less busy weekend. Cindy-glad to see you're starting to move again Jewels-hope things arebetter your way-I don't watch TV or read newspapers to know all the news Leslie-stay cool-no passing out from the heat-I actually bought a new fleece today-a spring/summer looking one because I'm tired of being cold all the time R2-was reminded of you yesterday-when I was on my way to the school for soccer car pool I had to stop and wait for a corn planter to come through-it was as wide as the road so the farmer's wife had driven ahead to stop traffic at the entrance to the field so he could get through without driving onto people's lawns to let cars go by! Joe-sounds like you're enjoying post race endorphins Arla-Mom will be fine, go for a run I've got more lacrose games and my son turns 11 on Monday but I have a mtn bike party planned for him on Sunday-along with a couple long runs there's my weekend-Enjoy! Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Another secretary from Eureka came down for conference today and said it was in the 80s in Eureka yesterday. What?!? Shocked Got on www.weather.com. They say it got to 88. Holy canoli!! Rarely does it get above 70, and it usually is around 65 in the summer. Unbelievable. It got to 100 in Trinidad, just a few miles north of Eureka on the ocean. Cripes. Did my 1.5 miles on the treadmill this a.m. It wasn't too bad. I can definitely see advantages of running on a treadmill as it makes you keep a steady pace. I definitely couldn't do it day in and day out. Will be trying to do speed work on it tomorrow. Now that should be interesting. Hopefully, I won't kill myself by falling off or something. Our president messed up and didn't certify me as a delegate for this annual conference. So for the first time in 5 years, all I have to do is go to one 1-hour meeting tomorrow at 8:00, and then I don't have to be anywhere again until the banquet tomorrow night. Nice! Will get cleaned up a little in the a.m., go to the meeting, then go for my run and have the rest of the day to myself. I may cheat a little and go sit my lily white body by the pool for awhile with a good book. Sounds like everyone is still percolatin' right along. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

0.41 this morning, looked at my garmin and noticed I was 0.27 short of a 21 mile running total mileage week which would be a record sooooo.................Ya all ever do that? Off to play in the mud, laters

0.41 this morning, looked at my garmin and noticed I was 0.27 short of a 21 mile running total mileage week which would be a record sooooo.................Ya all ever do that?
                              So I take it you have completed your first 21-mile week. Wink Good for you! Six 1-minute strides on a treadmill. Interesting. But in a self-torturing sort of way, I liked it. Except it was hot in there and hard to breath. It is considerably cooler today. Thank goodness! You can actually walk outside without immediately melting. Well, I gotta get cleaned up and back down to conference. People were looking at me strangely as I stood in the back of the room in my running clothes, sweaty and gross. Maybe it'll inspire a few of them to get off their very large rear ends and move a little. . . . but I doubt it. I would say 3 of 5 of the women at this conference are overweight, and 2 out of 5 could be considered obese or on the verge of obesity. Sad state of affairs. Have a great Saturday!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Evening everyone..... r2-Way to go! Yes, I have certainly thought that if I just ran another .35 I could have that 15 or 20 miles in for the week.....it is addicting. Great job. Leslie-Conference sounds like alot of fun. Go get your white self a little sun by the pool! I love your "very large rear ends" comment you made about some of the gals there at the conference. I seriously belted out a good chuckle reading that. Cindy-Glad the legs are almost there as in feeling half way decent. You'll be back at the ole pace/mileage before you know it. Arla-Um.....triple digits, I'd stay in with mom too! Have you been trying the morning runs or are you still trying to get in the afternoon/evening runs? joe-Nice and steady wins the race! You have really come along way in your running. Enjoy! Kelly-Another busy week for you. Your weekend plans sound great. Thanks for poppin' in! Crappy week of running but things will come around and I'll get back out there. I will never give up! Had a neighborhood sorta yard sale this a.m. Haven't done one in probably 15 years. Got rid of alot of kid sorta things. I told my girls if your up and out there at 7 a.m. and you stay until at least 12:00 you guys split the cash 50/50. It worked! They can now fill their gas tanks up this week! Big grin Had one family that came that had lost everything in the fire. That had a couple of shirts in there hands, a couple of coffe mugs, a blanket and a couple of kid toys. They came to pay and we were like, "just take what you need, no need to pay". They thanked us, the one lady started crying and they left with just those handful of items. Enyoy the rest of the weekend......Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee