Masters Running

Saturdaily, 7.13.19 (Read 37 times)

evanflein

Sounds like Bioguy had quite the week! Nicely done, sir!

Hope all those in Barry's path, or close by, get thru it all ok. Sounds like tremendous amounts of rain expected in some parts.

More grim news on our budget situation. Here's today's story about what to expect going forward. To make it even better, there was a legislative action needed to "reverse sweep" funds from several accounts that wasn't done, so many educational accounts were swept into a budget reserve account and are "unavailable." This affects performance scholarships for about 5,000 of our students who now may have to withdraw.

It's all very depressing and makes retirement look more and more appealing.

At least our air quality is a little better, mostly due to the rain we've had but at least an improvement. Can't run in the rain though, so might be a treadmill run today.

coastwalker

Hi again,

I've never done a beer mile or 5K, but a good friend has run the Medoc Marathon in France where there is a wine stop at every mile, some with pate or other goodies that no one in their right mind would consume during a race. I can' imagine doing any race with alcohol along the way.

KSA, thanks for the 'shandy' description - you learn something every day. Charging for a slice of lemon in an iced tea is absurd. What if you want an ice cube??

Evanflein, I couldn't read more than a sentence or two of that article without a subscription. But I think you've given us the gist of the sad news it delivers.

I went 8.27 RW miles this morning around New Castle island, and around the track at RW training. There were some nice and necessary breezes coming off the water in New Castle that I really appreciated.

Next - Trader Joes.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

spacityrunner

It's all very depressing and makes retirement look more and more appealing.

I am sorry you have to deal with this.  When my job became depressing I retired.  Do not regret it for one minute.  

The NWS has Barry tracking to the east of me (2-3" of rain).  Everyone else, weather.com etc,  has it sitting on top of me(5-6" of rain).  Who to believe, who to believe.  Row row row your boat...

Trails Rock!

Joe618

Hi all, from San Diego.   Fun wedding last night.  Will post a couple of pics when I get home.  Most people behaved well.  Most.

Ran 10K here today around a big water reservoir near my sister's house where I'm staying.   Went well...mild temps make a difference. 

So much to comment on but need to connect with the fam.

Rock it all!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Glad the wedding went well, Joe!  San Diego does have excellent weather!

Roch-  you have to order iced tea "unsweetened".  All the places have both- even fast food joints.  Yes, sweet tea here is TOO sweet.  I might add a couple of pumps of sweet tea to my unsweetened tea if I am making my own "mix" at a restaurant.

Yes, the $1.09 included tax-  it was going to be about $2 with the lemon.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Evanflein, I couldn't read more than a sentence or two of that article without a subscription. But I think you've given us the gist of the sad news it delivers.

Me either. But it just stinks. Why is education always the first place for massive budget cuts?! That really makes me angry.

Lots of people doing lots of great summer runs and races. Glad you had fun at the wedding Joe. And charging for lemons? Really? Is there a lemon shortage?

It sounds like Hurricane Barry is getting a little too close for comfort for some of you folks. I saw on the news that over 60,000 people were already without power by 6:00 AM this morning. Stay safe everyone.

DH and I celebrated our wedding anniversary last Thursday. We went down to Lake Geneva for a couple of days to play golf. Best rounds I've had all summer, shooting a 49/51 the first day and a 50/51 the second. On the way home, going through Milwaukee, the traffic was bumper to bumper on I-43 going north. Drive a few feet, stop. Drive a few feet, stop. We tried Google maps to find a way around the interstate but everyone else had the same idea. It took us over an hour to drive about 20 miles. Come to find out, Trump was in town to give a speech and a lot of roads were closed. Plus there were two accidents. A normal 3 hour trip took us almost 5 hours to get home.

Hot and muggy here today. I went out early for a few miles and then DH and I took DS#2 and his friend golfing. Why does it bother me so much to run in H&H, but I'll play golf in it?

Our oldest grandson hit an in-the-park home run last Tuesday night. He's 9. I've never seen him so excited. That's what summer is all about Charlie Brown!

Have a great weekend folks.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, the $1.09 included tax-  it was going to be about $2 with the lemon.

That is just crazy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, yesterday got away from me but included getting up very early and running (from the Y) so I could teach the 0515 class.  After work I drove home for the weekend but it was a longer than usual drive.  Lots of slowed areas.

This morning I got up early and for the first time in a while went to the TVA area to run.  Fair number of folks out but none that I ran with.  Was hoping for at least 14 but only got close; 13.2 miles.  Pace not great (9:10 or so), but for this time of year with the heat and humidity I'll take it.  Just finished prepping and painting the interior trim around the large window in our dining room; looks like it came out ok.

Barry is passing well to our west.  Early models had some of the outer bands over Florence but later models had it tracking further west.  Doubt we'll see much of anything here.  OTOH, I'm in a C-130 unit so we may be asked to provide some tactical airlift.  I was in Goldsboro, NC when Matthew hit.  Not much wind....but in about 17 to 18 hours we got 22" of rain!  Was ok in my apartment (lost power eventually but got it back within 24 hours or so).  There was serious, significant flooding through the region.

RunnerKSA, with you on sweet tea.  I've been in places where it makes my teeth hurt.

Have a greta evening everyone!

Dave59

Rest day for me. We're in Michigan with our younger daughter but return home tomorrow.

I wasn't going to comment but the lemon issue has brought me out of lurkdom. I think it's about time restaurants stopped giving away free fruit. I'm all for lemon charges. Cindy always asks for a water with lemon. It's high time she started paying for that.

I think I've read about a lemon shortage too.

Joe618

Still wrapping my head around paying for the lemon in the ice tea.  What are they thinking?  The airlines charge for everything now but the peanuts are still free.  Why not a lemon slice?  Oy.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

The only other time I've had a Sonic try to charge me for lemon was when the order taker got it confused with the flavoring that you can get for your soft drinks (i.e. vanilla, cherry, lemon...).  I think they do charge for that.  I tried to make sure this morning that wasn't happening, but my server was about 12 and I'm not sure I was communicating with her well.  She seemed pretty insistent that the charge was for actual lemon wedges.   The thing is-  I have iced tea at home and there are certainly other sources besides Sonic, but I really like their ice and the morning happy hour prices.  I'm supposed to be limiting my Diet Coke consumption, and now I am running into a lemon obstacle!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Echoing the sentiment for those in the path of Barry to stay safe.

Erika, what a crummy deal going on for you. Hang in there.

Lemons are are in short supply, huh? I guess you could take it up with the manager, KSA. MrStarr’s dad could take a bite out of a lemon and not even wince!

H &H today but I did my 9/1 run/walk to get my run around the lake done. I did stop at 4 garage sales and then went back with money to get a few treasures.

Right at 7am there were about 25 fishing boats hauling a** across the lake. There must have been a tournament that started at 7am and they were all headed for the same spot.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Ok, what airline are you flying that still serves peanuts?

Still wrapping my head around paying for the lemon in the ice tea.  What are they thinking?  The airlines charge for everything now but the peanuts are still free.  Why not a lemon slice?  Oy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jumping in to add my 12.2 miles on the Eastern Trail Sat morning.

Maybe I'll go start the Sundaily 😂

denise