Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.5.13 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry I've been away for a few days, but what was supposed to be a relatively easy week has proved to be not quite that. However, last night we got away with good friends/neighbors to have dinner at our favorite French restaurant in Portsmouth, and then to have the pleasure of listening to Doris Kerns-Goodwin talk about her books and her life at the Portsmouth Music Hall. If I could pick a few well-known people with whom to sit around a dinner table for good eats and conversation, she'd make the cut.

6.45 tempo racewalking miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It was 31F with nary a star to be seen through the solid overcast skies. I've slacked off the past few days and wanted to sort 'a, kind 'a make up for it with a challenging workout. So I worked hard today, with each mile faster than the one before it. For the time being, my legs are nicely fatigued, relishing the notion that they did good work out there this morning.

OK. Gotta go. Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai sounds like a pile of very cold days ahead for you.  Brrr.  You may want to visit evenflein before she leaves Hawaii.

I got up planning to head out for an 11 mile run a bit before 6am.  Then my DW sent me a text saying it was raining.  Okay, raining, dark with slick roads time to run later in the day.  Sometimes you just got to know when to fold them.

In more upbeat news my colleague finally managed to log into my home server so we can get some work done!  This saga of him trying to get in and failing has been going on for months!  I am very happy the problem is finally fixed.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I made it to the gym this morning.  Treadmill warm-up and then some weights.

Good morning Jay, Twocat and the rest of my RA friends yet to post. It would be awesome to listen to Doris Kerns-Goodwin. Sounds like a great evening. And nice workout this morning. Best to not run on slick, icy roads Twocat. Hopefully the temps will warm up a little. Here? Not so much. Sustained winds of 20-25 mph this morning and 19° made the track at the Y seem like a good option. 4 miles at a 9:31 pace and 5 miles on the bike followed with 20 minutes of core work.

The extended forecast does not look so good. We have Packer season tickets and they play the Falcons here on Sunday. How does snow and temps around 9° sound for sitting outside at Lambeau watching a team who's just lost their last five games sound? Right. We're trying to sell them (I have to work anyway) but we probably won't be able to even get face value for them.

I've been keeping up with all of your activities every day but not much time lately.  DH had a knee scope on Monday so I'm his Sherpa lately. That, working two jobs, craft shows and grandkids have kept me much too busy.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Welcome back, Jay.

My early morning went well.  Power was out for just what we estimated and then power and computer networks came back on happily.  My only problem was due to lack of coffee--Started pouring the coffee into the filter holder before I realized I hadn't put in a filter. Roll eyes 2nd try went better.

it could be a long day--I'm already missing those extra 2 hours of sleep.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I forgot that I wanted to post a link to a blog post over at Running Research Junkie.  It seems there is some evidence now that switching around what running shoes you are using day-to-day helps reduce the chance you get an overuse injury.

http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/can-mixing-up-the-running-shoes-prevent-overuse-running-injury/

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Jlynne, they are 1-4 without Aaron Rogers, a tough season indeed. Breger knocked my Jets out so I'm now following the Cowboys here. We have the Packers coming up and the issue is whether Rogers will play or not.

I ran 2.2 easy at the park and that's all I'm doing. Packet pickup duty tomorrow and we have a big storm coming. Should be fun.

Trying to pick out a new Garmin for a friend and we want the simplest one, that just has the GPS feature and time.  Does anyone have such a model?  Which is best to buy if that is all I'm looking for?  I don't need HR monitor, voice and stuff like that.  Would appreciate some help.  Spareribs

C-R

Slacker and Jay are two words that don't belong in the same sentence.

Smart move twocat. Worst case = tm miles

That's pretty busy Jlynne

Good one stumpy. I did that enough that I now use a French press only. I like the coffee flavor better than filter brew. Although you have to like it thick.

Good luck on selecting a GPS ribs. I've worn mine about 5 times this year. Only use them when I go on the road or trails anymore. i have that 310 brick thing.

3.1 at 6am this morning as run #1. Got home at 1am and have a cold or something (runny nose and lots of coughing.Had to hole up in the man cave as I don't want to get anyone else sick. Making my runs slower but perhaps I can "sweat out" whatever I have. Ugh.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...I loved it

when stumpy said he was getting up at '' Jay O'Clock''................right up there with ''greta''

==========

double weight sessions today,

remembered

Dave Draper's ''SuperSets'' from the sixties.....

........did both sets

of squats alternated with lat raises

then

both sets of bench press alternated with 10-lb wgt crunches

also

remembered our old Isometrics from the sixties

holding

each rep for a ten-count at the top>>>>>>>>>>>YOWZA

.................good running guys.....................they say if you can Remember the Sixties, you weren't really there, but try anyway

and

if you were 3.......................I DON'T WANNA KNOW

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I forgot that I wanted to post a link to a blog post over at Running Research Junkie.  It seems there is some evidence now that switching around what running shoes you are using day-to-day helps reduce the chance you get an overuse injury.

http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/can-mixing-up-the-running-shoes-prevent-overuse-running-injury/

I wrote a blog post on this exact topic for the Dallas Morning News and it was backed up by a local sport podiatrist here who is an Ironman triathlete. I rotate through 12 pairs of shoes, all different brands, so that every day my feet get a different experience. Makes sense when you think of it. Carpal tunnel syndrome for example, is caused by repetitive motion.  Makes sense that if you wear the same shoe every day, that switching them around a bit would help.  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Here it is twocat, March of last year:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/03/what-to-wear-upcoming-races-ga.html/

Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Ugh, Holly -- tooth problems are no fun and definitely not inexpensive! I'm looking at a crown next month, but depending on what he finds, it could end up being another implant. Get some recommendations to find a dentist with good technical skills!

Well, it was 54F when I got up this morning but it's already down to about 41F and falling. With the wind, I opted not to run and went  to a spinning class instead, followed by some laps in the pool. I'm already in vacation mode I guess.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

tough season indeed. Breger knocked my Jets out 

Truthfully the Jets knocked themselves out.  The Fins just took advantage.

By the way Ribs, my plans for the weekend have changed bigtime.  Not sure exactly where we'll be exactly.  I have your cell number should things go as planned.

To all, sorry for being absent.  Not running much at all.  Health issues again.  Different ones this time.  Trust me, you don't want or need the deets.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Glorious 12-mile run along the SF Bay Trail at 6:30 am---sun rising and great views of the bridges---threw in 10 x 2 minute speed-ups with a 1 minute rest. It's cold here for the Bay area (30 degrees) but beautiful and makes up for getting stuck in Bay Bridge traffic last night.

The switching-up or is that switching-out? shoes seems to work well for me and makes good sense.

Have a great day all...one more sleep and I get to go home! Then back on the road on Monday---billing 15 days this month and my last 2013 day is 12/20---roar!

(((((Breger))))) So sorry! :-(