Masters Running

Sat (6/13) late start runs (Read 284 times)

Can I really be the first to post?  Where is everyone?

17.1 mi this morning in 8:53 avg, faster than I usually run but the last 13.1 was part of a half marathon on base.  I tried to keep it slow during the HM as this was just a training run but I think I got carried away.

Have a nice Sat/Sun out there everyone!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

I too was wondering why nobody had started the daily thread as yet.  Being on the DL makes me reluctant to do so, although I have!  Today's report:  elliptical followed by TM walking forwards and then backwards.  Yawn.

As to my DW she headed down to run with the jogging club today and likely did about 8 miles.  The good news is she finally discovered the value of wearing a water belt!  You have no idea how I have struggled to get her to try one.

My big news, as usual on my Saturday, is my muffin report.  This is my last week of contributions to the jogging club.  I am gone the next two weekends and after that they take 10 weeks off while the town's race series takes place.  For my grand finally I made chocolate chip banana muffins.  They were a huge hit!    Many who normally resist eating a whole one told me that after one bite they gave up and wolfed it down.  Chocolate and banana how can you go wrong?

I noticed evanflein's comment the other day about having to finish all her runs up a hill to get home.  I know Holly S. is in the same boat as am I.  Which leads me to wonder how many others here are there?  Also, do runners have some sort of masochistic steak that leads them to select homes near the top of hills? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

For most of my routes I run overall downhill for the last mile or two to get back to my house.  Some of my long runs are the opposite, though.

I've made it to the DL myself for the next few weeks -- no biggie, just letting an irritated nerve in my back calm down -- it's mostly just annoying because it doesn't bother my running, but my ortho is convinced the running is keeping it from recovering.  I've been "power walking" instead.

Muffins -- I guess those are off the list of things I can eat for the next few weeks...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hey rs,with that kind of training run/race, what are you training for? Put it in ilene`s intrepid if you can.

Of course, I`ve sworn off training until someone gets a job but with the 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club`s marathon for today finishing with a sustained 10 mile ascent up to Hakone and Lake Ashiko along the historic Tokaido Highway no. 1 here in Japan, it might be just the hill work needed to ensure beating timmy at least up the daunting ascent to the Aurora Bridge in Seattle.

Still need the eight hour practice though to ensure DGL`ing (dead glorious last) so none of our guests have to say they were last in the Seattle RnR so I`ll probably walk up most if not all of the ascent of what is, for all intents and purposes, pretty much like the last 14 miles of the Mt. Spokane Run where I saw butterfly wings in 2007

Maybe I`ll aim at 8:;26;32 this time. ;D

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i had a late start myself today -- really felt the need to sleep in a bit but not as late as i thought

15.8 miles on my bike -- lots of hills and lots of red lights so my time was slow but at least i put the time in

3.5 miles run -- sluggish!!  just not feeling great and felt the dead legs after biking

now -- need to try on the wetsuit my dh bought me and see how it feels - maybe test it out in our COLD pool....it has short sleeves and short legs so should be interesting ..... what a sweetheart tho isnt he!!

denise

WillRunForBeer other than the chocolate part they are fairly low calorie muffins.   One of the reason people seem happy to gobble them up!  There is no butter or other similar fats in them.  The whole batch has but two eggs in it.  I make them in large part so I can eat a muffin and now chow down on the equivalent of a small chocolate cake.   So feel free to have one!  Oh, yea you are way down in DC.  Well if you fly up to CT and stop by . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, Amie, you sure are speedy!  I guess that's cuz you're just a youngster.

WRFB, sorry you're on the DL - hope your back feels better soon.

I ran a decidedly un-sproinky half marathon this morning.  2:30:09, almost 6 minutes slower than last year, and a PW. I don't think a PW warrants a whole separate RR so I'll just summarize here.  

Last year I had a  jackrabbit start and a turtle finish, because I carried no fuel and the aid stations just had water.  This year I carried Gatorade and gels, but I just didn't have much energy right from the start.    So overall, I felt better at the end, but just ran slower and steadier.  It's a pretty course, on a bike path along Ten Mile Creek, and high altitude. The start is at 9700 ft and the end is at 9,050 ft.  IRC - 50's and sunny. I'll post a race photo later if I got any decent ones.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Twocat, I live in the middle of a rise, so it's either uphill or downhill to start/finish. Either way there's 150' of elevation change...I usually opt to start uphill: there are better routes that way as it heads out of town. There's a way to run the backroads so that I can start uphill and finish uphill, should I feel like it. (That doesn't happen very often)

8 today, 1:09:11 in the H&H.

Some nice HM's above. Is tramps doing Mt. Washington today?

Walt

evanflein

Carolyn, the elevations you run at are just amazing to me. I bet you'd clean up at a lower elevation race! Good job on getting it done, PW or not.

Twocat, I have some bananas I need to use up and some dark chocolate chips... how about sharing that recipe? I bet my boys would eat those muffins more than they'd eat the banana bread I was going to make.

And my last two miles to home is uphill about 300 ft. Sometimes I cheat and run past the turn off to my road, do another mile or so out and back on relatively flat ground and walk most of the uphill part. Or call for a ride if I'm really feeling lazy.

Tetsujin, you're such a sweetheart. Not training till someone gets a job, heh. Looking forward to seeing you in Seattle!

Where is everone?

I can see why some of you guys like the morning running, but it's still hard for me to do. I got up and ran my 10 miles this morning while the boys were still in bed, lazy duffs that they are. It wasn't even that early (9 a.m.), but the traffic was almost non-existent, a few other runners and bikers out there on the trail. This is a hilly route and I wanted to take it as slow and easy as needed to not need to stop so much. I've picked up a bad habit of stopping and walking to recover, then starting up again. Need to knock that off! I only did it a few times on this run, making myself slow down rather than stop. Worked pretty well. 8:42 avg pace and that's cool. Then blueberry pancakes for lunch (!) and now we have the whole afternoon to finish planting some flowers and do general "stuff" around the house and yard.

TammyinGP

I was surprised to see so few posts this late in the day. I thought surely there must be another Sat thread and this was a duplicate with very little posting on it. Guess not.

I should be running my 12 miles at the Relay for Life right now. I signed up for the 9-11 p.m. slot. But they called it off about 7:30 tonight due to another big storm front moving in that will have lightening and thunder. There has been rain off and on all day, sometimes quite heavy, but the forecast of lightening is when they decided best to vacate the track. Very disappointing for all those involved with some much time, effort and planning to get such a huge event organized.

and I had just loaded up on a double latte to keep me going through the night too.

Now I'll find some time tomorrow to run 12-14 miles.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tet, I am really really trying Buddie. But did have a sprint Tri today that I set a 2 minute PR on...then long run after. RR in the am as I am.......sore and tired. TimmiBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tim - I"m waiting for your tri RR; is it the first since last year"s mile 16 fizzle?

you"ll need your bi/tri talents at the RnR, . . . run/swim/goddesses.

Got another DGL in Saturday's Hakone Marathon at 84 degrees with 30 members of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club and became the 803rd member in the oldest 100-Marathon Club in the world in the world (founded 1987 when I was only on number 17 after ten years of trying). .

evan - is midnight sun running the reason so few morning runners?

2cat - keeping those muffins from becoming muffin tops around the waist?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)