Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 11/29/09 (Read 415 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s last week’s tally.  Sorry so late, the holiday and a computer virus got the best of my time.

Who

Miles

Commentary

Rasmussenmp

Lots of miles

CNYrunner

Going to take a break from the 40/40 and just ENJOY running for a while – good for you!

MrPHinNJ

Traveling

Biketm

Marathon!

Buckeye

Sorry to hear about your SM

Holly

Breger

Every day

Pfriese

Harpath Hills – I want to do that one someday.

Runhikebird

Tapering

Slimbo

Free Pass

Sick this week

Here’s my tentative plan for the week.  

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

1-3

2.5 miles

Plus weights and abs

Tuesday

6-8

9.05 miles

2 miles @ 7:54, 7:50 and intervals on the TM

Wednesday

4-5

4.05 miles

Easy pace

Thursday

7-10

9 miles

5-mile Turkey Trot, plus WU and CD

Friday

4-5

6.35 miles

Easy pace

Saturday

5-7

16 miles

Wave run

Sunday

13-16

3 miles

Plus weights and abs

Total

?

50 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Florida

Thx Holly.  One week out from my MD marathon.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

?

7:57 per mile

Tuesday

?

7:40 per mile

Wednesday

?

7:52 per mile

Thursday

?

Rest Day

Friday

?

Rest Day

Saturday

Northern Central Trail Marathon - 3:37:46 .. 8:19 per mile with a big negative split

Sunday

?

Rest Day

Total

?

Great weekend in VA/MD/PA - Hiking at Great Falls, wine tasting, crab cakes, trail marathon, touring Gettysburg and Hershey's chocolate, more crab cakes,,, 

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Thanks Holly,

I will have to schedule and do a wave run soon.  Looks like it would be a fun one. 

This week will be a few less miles due to a "long" training run on Saturday.

Mon: rest

Tues: 9 miles including a few at MP - 10.0 miles including 6 miles @ MP

Wed: 8 miles - 9.0 miles, good aerobic paced run, legs alittle sluggish.

Thurs: 7 turkey miles 8.0 miles, first 5 were slow and easy, then 2 miles @ MP, 1 mile cooldown. legs felt much better moving faster.

Fri: 6 miles - 4.0 miles, good recovery run

Sat: 28 miles including 26.2 (Seattle Ghost Marathon) 28.2 miles including 2 miles WU and CD and 26.2 miles Seattle Ghost Marathon (3:31:17). good training run, kept heart rate in mid 150's for the first 20 miles (7:53 pace) then eased in the last 4 miles (8:25 pace). Conditioning is a little better than I thought at this point in my training cycle.

Sun: 8-10 miles - 4.0 miles, legs very sluggish and tired so cut the run short.

Total: 63.2 miles

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Hey there Holly, sorry I haven't logged in for awhile.  I've been doing some pretty serious soul searching with regards to my running and what is going on with my hamstrings.  Final decision has been to stop running for a few weeks.  This was a tough one for me but I know it is for the best.  So this past week I've been logging alot of miles on the stationary bike where I have no pain, and doing my stretches and core work which I have been wanting to do anyways.

I also started a 7 week program that is designed to get me to the point where I'll be able to do 100 pushups, 200 situps and 200 squats without stopping.  That is each particular exercise should be accomplished without stopping.

Anyways I will not be running for the rest of this week and then I'm going to reassess where I am next week to see if I can start back up again or not.  Either way I'll take this one step at a time.  I've had a number of very painful races of late and simply don't want to go through that anymore.  I would give anything to be able to run Boston without the worry of the pain haunting me somewhere around mile 10-13.

I'll be lurking while going thorugh this process and will check back in as soon as I can put the miles in.

Thanks again,

Bob

Marathon Maniac #957

Mainerunnah – sorry you’re still having problems with your hamstring issues.  This is the best time of year to take some time off, though, sort of between seasons, so hopefully this will heal things up for you.  Please keep us posted.  I hope to see you at Boston!

Rasmussenmp – for me, a wave run is generally this:

2-3 mile WU

1 mile @ MP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ MP

2-3 mile easy

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Holly.  I am traveling this week and will be running the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving morning.  This one will be just for fun, a hard training run.

Day Miles Comment
              Mon 0
              Travel
              Tue 8.57 Easy
              Wed 3.66
              Easy
              Thu 13.10
              Atlanta Half
              Fri 3.64
              Easy
              Sat 5.49
              Easy 
              Sun 6.78
              Easy
              Total 41.2

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

Mon   -  5 miles easy     done

Tue   - 5 miles on track     done

Wed  -  5 miles easy with quick *pickups*

Thu   - 6.2 miles at race pace  - & lots of eating

Fri  - 12 miles long run

Sat  -  12 miles hard hilly trail run

Sun  - 4 miles easy recovery run

Runners run

pfriese

Nothing planned for this recovery week. Probably will need a free pass.

M - rest day

T - 4.8 miles

W - 4.6 miles

Th - rest day

F - 8.2 miles

Sa - 5.6 miles

Su - rest day

Total - 23.2 miles

Free pass needed.

Paul

Thanks Holly -- I am back ... had my 41st birthday last Friday and surprised the family [girls ages 8 and 5] with a surprise trip to Disney.  [I haven't been there since 1976].  Holy Cow!  That place is HUGE.  We had a blast and I must have walked a good 5 miles per day ... I also ate like a Roman.  Ran 1x while there [5:30 am ... pre-crowd Disney run ... surreal ... whole nother world going on at that time that I would guess people never see.]  Truly exhausted from the walking and pool time with the kids.  Anyway, I am back to reality ... ran 5 today ... 5 in the AM ... then our [annual] epic "Friday after Thanksgiving kegger" is tomorrow with about 150 our friends ... you are all invited :-)... hot dogs and beer -- leave the kiddies at home ... everybody walks ... no flash photography ... ditch the disfunctional family -- good times!   [It's also my 10 year anniversary -- God bless my better half.]  I should be back on track by next week.  The last 10-days have been "vacating" ... it's all good.  Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Tim

Total Miles -- 20.2

2012= under-goaled

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks again Holly. I actually ended up with more miles than I expected after my race---------36.7 miles, but will need a pass on the 40/40. But I will be back at 40 or more miles next week. Then hope I can be somewhat ready for my first 50K Dec 14.....don't know about that one yet-------TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Mainerunnah – sorry you’re still having problems with your hamstring issues.  This is the best time of year to take some time off, though, sort of between seasons, so hopefully this will heal things up for you.  Please keep us posted.  I hope to see you at Boston!

Rasmussenmp – for me, a wave run is generally this:

2-3 mile WU

1 mile @ MP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ HMP

1 mile easy

1 mile @ MP

2-3 mile easy

Holly, you can do this because you are marathon-trained, but make sure others know this kind of workout is not for everyone.  For good training at less than the marathon, keep the total at 13 miles or less, so the warm up can be 2 at most and cool down is one mile slow, not easy.  Also, the MP and HMP paces must be at CURRENT MP or HMP pace, NOT desired.  This is important.  Keep it up.  Spareribs

usandtoto-2@msn.com

SpareRibs - not a problem here with Holly explaining her wave run to me.  I think I'm marathon trained having completed my 10th this year and 38th total yesterday.  But it is always good to stipulate that it does require a good base prior and should be run at present conditioning paces. 

Holly, my favorite workout run is:  2 miles wu, 3 miles @ tempo, 5 minutes easy, 4 x 800 @ 5K pace with 90 sec easy recovery interval, 5 minutes easy, 3 miles @ tempo, 1-2 miles cd.  Total of 13 miles

and as SpareRibs stated paces should be run at paces consistant with present conditioning.  I use a heart rate monitor to keep me honest.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Good week with Family and Vacation!

bad week of running and training.

Total 31.5 miles  About 20 miles short but felt guilty trying to get out more than an hour or so at a time. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, my favorite workout run is:  2 miles wu, 3 miles @ tempo, 5 minutes easy, 4 x 800 @ 5K pace with 90 sec easy recovery interval, 5 minutes easy, 3 miles @ tempo, 1-2 miles cd.  Total of 13 miles

This is a tough workout!

I like it......