Masters Running

Light at the End of the Tunnel & RA meet up? (Read 77 times)

arf

MM #405

I asked Dove if she was running it this year, but she'll be away that weekend.

Did Arf get in?

I'm looking into flights - might try to add a day or two afterward as Mike suggested.  Looking forward to it!

Hi Wild - Yes I did!   Actually my daughter registered me as I was working

Walk-Jogger

Cecil,  You might try airbnb.com.  I've never used it, but I know several people who have and I expect to on future trips.

Thanks, DiveChief. I'll pass that along to DW.

Retired &  Loving It

mrrun

Cecil,  You might try airbnb.com.  I've never used it, but I know several people who have and I expect to on future trips.

we've used airbnb in many places, san francisco, milwaukee, florida, etc and have had very good luck with it.  there's also vrbo.net but they may be the same people now.

can you folks schedule a western meet-up that has something besides a marathon for those of us who aren't maniacs??????

marj

Mariposai

can you folks schedule a western meet-up that has something besides a marathon for those of us who aren't maniacs??????

marj

Marj, actually this can be a perfect PNW meet up for anyone and everyone.

My plan is to take people on a hike or a sight seeing tour in the majestic North Cascades Mt. Range. What will you see? for starters:

Liberty Bell and it's magnificent splendors:

https://www.google.com/search?q=liberty+bell+wa&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GVk5UbeAB_GWyAGclIGQCw&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659

Hike Mapple Pass Loup, my all time favorite:

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasonal-hikes/hikes-of-the-week/maple-pass-loop

Enjoying the waters of magnificent Ross Lake

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ross+lake,+wa&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-Vo5UdHfLsnlyAGYvIGQDQ&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659

or taking in the culture of the wild west in Winthrop, WA

https://www.google.com/search?q=Winthrop,+wa&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tlk5UaKpBMewyQGWmIHYBA&ved=0CGIQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659

Then, if you are THAT close to the Posie family shack, you might as well decided to come with enough time to be able to hang your spurs  up and enjoy the wild west.

Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no excuse is too feeble for a reunion

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Marj, actually this can be a perfect PNW meet up for anyone and everyone.

This all sounds wonderful, but we have a 2 week in Ontario Canada scheduled for late June and early July.  we're looking for a fall or spring reunion!

Walk-Jogger

A question for those of you who have run this race before - Do you use a Garmin, or a regular stop-watch? I'm just curious if it's worth trying to use a Garmin since the 2 miles run through the tunnel will cause the Garmin to lose satellite lock and I'm not sure what happens when you come out the other side... I'm sure it won't show the correct mileage total from that point on. ?? Are all the miles marked fairly accurately?

Retired &  Loving It

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't use any watches, gremlins or other gadgets but can assure you that, except I'm not sure about in the two-mile tunnel,  there are numbered markers every mile, ..... unless the bear herds and wolf packs trample them out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

A question for those of you who have run this race before - Do you use a Garmin, or a regular stop-watch? I'm just curious if it's worth trying to use a Garmin since the 2 miles run through the tunnel will cause the Garmin to lose satellite lock and I'm not sure what happens when you come out the other side... I'm sure it won't show the correct mileage total from that point on. ?? Are all the miles marked fairly accurately?

Ooh...very good question.  I've never worn my Garmin for a marathon and was looking forward to it.  I hadn't thought about that dang tunnel.  I think I will wear it anyway because it will, at least, give me my pace after the tunnel.  I know it has really helped me stay on target during my long runs so, even if it doesn't give me the true 26.2 miles, I can still benefit from it.  It would be interesting to hear from those who have done it before, though....like Tet, who brought up a very good reason to wear one...

Maniac 505

My garmin usually assumes a straight line between when it lost it's signal and when it reaquires a signal.  It will be a bit off at the tunnel marathon but it should be close.

Mariposai

Great news! We got an email form the RD saying that our sons are in for the marathon as well...

sooo...3 posie boys and one happy posie mama will be running this race.

Maybe the one and only race we will all be running a marathon!

Boy ohhhh boy, this will be fun!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dove

The Dovenator

I'm so sorry I will be missing this great meet-up. I love The Tunnel marathon, but going to Nashville with Mr. hawk was just too good to pass up. If our plans change I will volunteer at the race (or ride my Mt bike) so I can meet those of you I haven't met yet!

-Dove

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Mariposai

Bump!

I have great news! Our two sons were able to get in as well. So...the entire POSIE family will be running this marathon!!!

Yeeepieee!!!

Walk-Jogger

Bump!

I have great news! Our two sons were able to get in as well. So...the entire POSIE family will be running this marathon!!!

Yeeepieee!!!

I'm still really looking forward to this race as my first ever marathon, but my training hasn't gone as quite as smoothly as I had hoped, so far. I guess a few bumps in the road are part of the process! I spent the entire month of April cross-training while recovering from a stress fracture. I'm getting back on track now, but the weeks are flying by and I'm not yet up to running a 20-miler. Yikes! Running an 8-mile uphill race this weekend, and plan to run back downhill afterwards so should get at least 17 miles total.

Whether I make it to the marathon start line un-injured or not, the wife has already made the reservations and a few other reservations for a mini-vacation the several days following the race, so either way we'll be there.

Retired &  Loving It

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Running an 8-mile uphill race this weekend, and plan to run back downhill afterwards so should get at least 17 miles total.

Cecil - what race is that? Sounds like eight Doomsdays in Bloomsday or the Climb-a-Mountain one I got to do with mariposai some years ago.  Anyway, based on a rule-of-thumb from the 1978 winter edition of the now-defunct The Runner Magazine, a person can run a noncompetitive marathon if you can struggle through 13.1 miles without stopping, no matter how slowly.  I think it's only 8 miles if it's on hills though, especially when the 26.2 miles to follow is downhill. .  However, just don't stop at all, even once, during the eight mile ascent.  I dare you. Smile  Have fun. .