Masters Running

Joan Benoit Samuelson Fans (Read 201 times)

nowor

Here's a neat article about a neat lady http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/running/articles/2008/04/13/distant_memories_wont_fade/
      Agreed! I just finished reading the print version of the Boston Globe and it's nice to see such a great article about her---nice photos too. The Globe magazine has an article about last year's Boston marathon---"The marathon that almost wasn't"---good read and poignant too---last sentences made me cry a bit. Thanks Nowor! CNY
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was going to mention this article also, but thanks for getting it mentioned! I certainly knew of Joan, but neat to read more and to know about her. BTW: the Globe magazine has an interesting article about last year's marathon and its almost cancellation. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

#artbydmcbride

She is so cool! I remember the Olympic marathon here in LA!

Runners run

Sue...I sent you an email...
            btb1490

Thank you nowor! She is an amazing woman, and one of my first running idols.
                She was the guest speaker for the Space Coast Marathon last November! I volunteered at that race and it was spectacular! Alot warmer than what was inticipated for a late November race. I believe she took 3rd overall in the half. Her time was 1:22. Blazing fast. Not too shabby for a MASTER! Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Henrun

Joan was in the same running club as I was some years ago. I was much faster then and she beat me in a 10K when she was 9 months pregnant with her son (he is 18 now). When I asked her how she did it she replied "I had a little helper in me". She is a very sweet person and supports all runners, slow or fast.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

She's my "neighbor" - lives one town over, in Freeport, Maine. I saw her at my local bank a few weeks ago. She spoke at our local running store a few months ago - I took DS15 and DD9 with me to hear her speak. My son and I took our bibs from the 10k race she started (Beach to Beacon) and asked her to autograph them. She signed mine and wrote, "Congratulations on your first 10k!" On my son's,she commented on his fast time. Everyone in Maine adores her and calls her "Joanie."