Masters Running

Monday August 2nd runs and ramblings (Read 501 times)

Can't wait for a Cascade lakes Relay Race Report!  Tammy's team fot 1st, and won, after 213 miles, by 72 sec. or something like that.  Wow!  I ran slowish 30 min. today.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi everyone,

Ya remember when Steve (Perch) said something like......when you feel invincible running - like there is no way you could get injured - is the time when running injuries happens sometimes.

Well that doesn't really apply to me with my new injury, but I had been having that invincible feeling as of late.

Sat afternoon I was carrying some groceries up some cement stairs where I live, and I was going up 2 steps at a time....do it all the time. Well, I missed a step and landed hard on my left knee on the edge of the step (hurt worse than anything) and walking after that was pretty much impossible. Yikes..............trying to move my leg and get out of bed Sunday morning. I literally couldn't move my left leg even a tiny bit, and once I did manage to get the leg off the side of the bed, I could put no weight on it what so ever..............it's hard to move on one leg. After I managed to make it to my living room, I noticed my left leg was completely swelled and bruised up from my thigh down to my ankle. I called my Doc friend I talk about sometimes - a runner too - and asked what I should do as I couldn't walk down my stairs or at all. This was pretty cool as he taught me a taping technique on the phone. He asked if I had any white athletic tape - I did. He said to wrap some tape super tight right above my left calf / shin - then real tight under the knee and over the knee cap - then about 3 inches above the knee..........after that, I could put some pressure on my leg and limped my way to the Doc's office (he told me to remember that, as that will come in handy with recovery)

Long story short........after an exam and MRI, I have a Patella Dislocation (knee cap) and I assume more because of how the rest of my leg looks and feels....will find out more in a few days when the swelling goes down (they did drain my knee, but it filled right back up later in the day)

No time frame was given on when I can run again, but the Doc (different Doc) said he could tell I have strong legs, and should be helpful with recovery. I assume I will be able to cycle before I can run, but hopefully I can start swimming real soon without using my legs.

If the rest is just swelling and bruising that will go away, has anyone experienced a Dislocated Patella - Knee Cap? A cycling friend has the crap scared out of me because he said he had the same once, and it took 3 months before he could walk normal again............I was like La La La La La with that news. 

Not to be a total bummer.....I ran a 43:27 - 10K Sat morning - and Cycled 75 miles (cool rainy day made for great race conditions) Geez, I was just getting ready to ramp up my mileage for 2 Fall Marathons and 50K 

Just remember everyone...........enjoy the gift of running, as it can be takin' away without notice

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Yikes, TImBo!  Where have you been - and now you come back to us with this bad  news???   I'm amazed you had a dislocated patella and didn't know it till the next day - it didn't look funny the day you fell? Ouch!  Heal up soon!

Mari, good idea teaching your DS to cook. He'll thank you for this someday  (or his future wife will.)  My DD has been cooking every 3rd night for several years now (DD, DH, and I take turns) and she's gotten to be a very competent cook.  Doing dishes, not so much...

Blueberries --- mmmmmm.

Amy, get your ass over the pass!  Good luck!

Mary, that's a pretty decent 10K considering it was hilly and you were hung over!  

Orange Mat, cool that you found a friend to run with.  I've never really run with anyone and it must be nice sometimes.

Well, I had the benefit of reading most of the daily before I ran, so I, too, did 6.5 miles.  Not to be left out or anything. Just as I was about to leave work, my boss told me he'd heard that the highway I go home on was closed because of a wildfire in the foothills. So I decided to run in town and wait for traffic on the alternate roads to clear - no fun sitting in traffic for hours.  It was warm - mid 70's -  but overcast and breezy and threatening the usual afternoon rain, so it felt OK.  It was actually great to run at low altitude and on a flat trail for a change, so I did OK,  about 10:30 pace.  By the time I was done it was raining, the fire was under control, and the highway was open.

One more night of freedom to stay out running as late as I want, then DD and the ball and chain DH come home.    Actually I'm looking forward to it, as the house is kind of lonely without them.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Long story short........after an exam and MRI, I have a Patella Dislocation (knee cap) (

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Can't wait for a Cascade lakes Relay Race Report!  Tammy's team fot 1st, and won, after 213 miles, by 72 sec. or something like that.  Wow!  I ran slowish 30 min. today.

dear proud mama,

is that the same team that econo had something to do with? <<<(captain/captain)>>>

erika - the lazy mountain marathon at the State Fair in Palmer in September is lush with low-growth, juicy, white-meated mountain blueberries that are right in front of your face on the steeper, hand-over-hand alpine sections. I thought I was catching up to three runners once but it was a family in the high country picking blueberries!

tim - at least the doctor didn't say something as Tomwhite and I heard that "you are otherwise normal except for patellofemoral compartmental subchondral sclerosis and osteophytic spurs on the tibial spines and intercondylar notch" but, "other than mild lateral subluxatio of the patella with respect to the trochlea, no other evidence of effusions, etc."   Can you still ride you bike and other physical activities on one leg?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Carolyn......my knee cap went back into place by it's self.....yes it looked nasty (lets just say I drank quite a bit Sat night which masked the pain) And....I have been around Ya know....(but wondered if anyone else has gone through this injury)

No smiles today................till I read Tet's post (silly man)

Stayin' positive......(just another thing to go through, and be stronger for it)

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Holly,  have a great time!!!!!!