Masters Running

40's on the run....First full week of Spring! (Read 437 times)

Info re nutrition plan in the days leading up to an event. Got this from my coach: NUTRITIONAL PREPARATION FOR YOUR EVENT (Source: International Olympic Committee, Hammer Nutrition, & other articles) Weeks Leading To The Competition Strike a balance – adjust your diet daily for optimal weight management. The difference in energy expenditure between a rest or recovery day and a heavy training day can be enormous and it may be necessary to cut calories on days of reduced training. Reduce portions on rest days but keep your balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Experiment with food choices and timing during training, not on Race Day! Nutrition For Your Training Sessions AND RACE DAY When considering your basic caloric needs, think complex carbohydrates such as a maltodextrin-based product, and supplemental protein for exercise over 90 minutes. Drink up to 16 oz. of water before a long run 2 hour before a long run (side note not very realistic, who is going to get up 2 hours before a morning run so you could sip on a water bottle while you drive to the run site or drink a glass 30 minutes before). You should try to take in 6 oz of fluid every 15 minutes (3 good sips). Maybe a little more on hot days. You should also consume about 200 to 250 calories per hour (30 to 60 grams carbohydrates) starting after the first hour. Gels are very popular, you will probably need to take one every half hour starting one hour into your long training session TAKE WITH WATER!!! Also energy bars work. If you do not have a favorite yet, try different ones during training (not the day of the event) to find the one you like best (you can cut the bars up into the correct portion beforehand). When “packing” for your training session/Race Day be sure to plan out your nutrition and hydration. If you can, bring an extra Energy Bar/Gel and some fluids just incase you are out there a little longer than you expect (Emergency Rations! maybe just one-half to one hours worth). DO NOT TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY, it is ok to experiment in a training session but not on Race Day. After the workout, you should consume 50 to 100 grams of carbohydrates or more specifically, 0.5 to 0.7 grams carbohydrates per pound of body weight within 30 minutes of completing the workout. Then eating a meal containing some lowfat protein and another 50 to 100 grams of carbohydrates or more specifically, 0.5 to 0.7 grams carbohydrates per pound of body weight within 2 hours after exercise. Current research shows that after exercise a 3:1 ratio of carbohydrate (grams) to protein (grams) is best for glycogen synthesis and muscle tissue rebuilding. Pre Event Meals (The Days Before The Event) ‘CARBO-LOADING’ According to the International Olympic Committee, athletes who compete intensely for more than 90 minutes benefit from ‘carbohydrate-loading’ for a few days. This loading of muscle glycogen to super-compensated levels can be achieved within 2 – 3 days by eating a large amount of carbohydrate (about 3.5 – 4.5 g carbohydrates per lb. of body weight per day, 70% carbohydrate diet) at the same time that training intensity is reduced to no more than easy levels of short duration (your taper). It is assumed that a moderate to hard bout of fatiguing exercise is performed in normal training sometime earlier in the week prior to competition. Fluid is as important as food. Hydrate yourself well by drinking extra water during the two days prior to the event (even more important if the event is above 5000 ft. elevation and you have been training at sea level). Eating properly the 2 –3 days before the event, means that a moderate dinner the night before should seal up the nutrition plan until morning. The Night Before Always eat food you are familiar with, especially the night before. Aim for a high-carbohydrate meal, up to 300 grams of carbohydrates (1.5 g carbohydrates per lb. of body weight), low in fiber. Drink plenty of fluids (water, juice). Sample foods: pasta dishes, rice dishes, lean protein, easy on fat. Cooked vegetables. The Pre-Race Meal Goal Assuming your race starts in the morning, the purpose of your pre-race meal is to top off liver glycogen stores, which your body has expended during your night of sleep. Muscle glycogen, the first fuel recruited when exercise commences, remains intact overnight. If you had a proper recovery meal after your last workout (see Nutrition For Your Training Sessions above) and a nutritious meal last night, you’ll have a full load of muscle glycogen on board, which constitutes about 80% of your total glycogen stores. If you didn’t resupply with complex carbs and protein after your last workout, there’s nothing you can do about it now; in fact, you’ll only hurt yourself by trying. To repeat: during sleep, your liver-stored glycogen maintains proper blood glucose level; you expend nary a calorie of your muscle glycogen. You might wake up feeling hungry, but you’ll have a full supply of muscle stored glycogen, your body’s first used and main energy source. Your stomach might be saying, “I’m hungry,” but your muscles are saying, “Hey, we’re good to go!” With only your liver-stored glycogen to top off, you want a light pre-race meal. Stick with tried and true choices that have been tested out before challenging training sessions during your training program. Allow Three Hours or More! Equally as important as what you eat is when you eat your pre-race meal. Sport Nutritionists agree that the pre-race meal should be eaten 3-4 hours prior to the event. After breakfast, during the 60 –90 minute period before the event you should ingest 16 – 24 oz. of water or carbohydrate-containing fluids. Three hours allows enough time for your body to fully process the meal (the time necessary for digestion to avoid intestinal distress). The pre-race meal should be an easily digested low fat high complex carbohydrate meal of between 200 - 400 calories (1.5 g carbohydrates per lb. of body weight), with a minimum of fiber, and simple sugar. Studies have shown that fat slows digestion and has no positive influence on fuels metabolized during an event. A high fiber pre-race meal may “create the call for an unscheduled and undesirable bathroom break in the middle or near the end of the event.” Sample foods: Crackers, bread, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, jelly, muffins, bagels, coffee is ok! Sleep or Eat? Should you get up during the wee morning hours just to get in a meal three hours before your race or workout? The answer is NO-rest will do you much more good; much restorative physiology occurs during sleep, so don’t sacrifice sleep just to eat. If you’re a fit athlete, one who has been replenishing carbohydrates immediately after each exercise session, you have approximately 60 - 90 minutes of muscle glycogen, your premium fuel available. As long as you begin fueling shortly after the race begins, perhaps 10 - 20 minutes after the start, your performance will not be affected negatively. If you start fueling shortly after your race begins, it’s actually OK to start your race a little on the hungry side. Topping off liver glycogen stores is always a good idea, but not at the expense of sacrificing sleep. *One Hour Before The Event Option* If you have an early start, you can have a pre-race meal one hour before the start. Emphasize liquids and easy to digest carbohydrates (0.5 g carbohydrates per lb. of body weight). Avoid protein, fat, and fiber! Sample foods: Sports Drinks, Gels, Energy Bar, tolerated fruits Immediately Prior To The Start If you can tolerate it, consume 100 - 200 calories about five minutes before start time. By the time these calories are digested and blood sugar levels are elevated, you’ll be well into your race and glycogen depletion rates will not be negatively affected. This strategy is especially appropriate for triathletes who will hit the water first and not have a chance to eat right away. Small amounts of nutrient-dense fuels will go a long way to stanching hunger pangs. Sample food: Sports Drink, Energy Bars

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy Friday, Fellow Running Freaks! The previous post may work for some, may not. I try to be very vigilant in eating lots of carbs beginning 2 to 3 days before an event, and I sip on water all day long and during the evenings as a general rule. Old habit from Weight Watchers. Interestingly, my coach's theory is that we will never run more than 18 miles or 4 hours. He says it takes your body too long to recovery from anything longer, and if you run more too close to your race day, it could be a problem. Or, over the long run you tear your body down faster. I realize this is contrary to many people's opinions, but considering he's done many marathons, triathalons, long distance bike competitions, as well as being a certified trainer, I listen to him. My schedule for April is basically: Mon - 5 mile run w/6-8 STEEP hill sprints at end Tues - Crosstraining Wed - 5 mile run w/5-10 hill repeats (depending on hill; I usually do 10) Thurs - 3 mile easy run/jog & strength training Fri - Long run, 1 1/2 hours Sat - Long Run, from 2-3 hours, on trails Sun - Not get out of bed most of the day Big grin It changes a little here and there, there's a couple of progression runs thrown in, and I assume in May we'll be doing longer trail runs, 3+-4 hours. Things generally begin to taper a week to a week and a half before a running event. I'm just glad I'm off the stride work for awhile. I hate, hate, HATE Angry strides. I'd rather run up and down a hill all day than run strides. Also, on all my long run days, I plan to wear my hydration pack loaded as it would be for an event. I need to get more used to carrying 64 oz of fluid on my back along with food stuffs. PS - Cindy - Can you come work on my watcha-ma-call-it??? You want to visit the West Coast, don't you? Wink Later!

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy Friday to all.... Nice hearing from you Salty.....have fun with your trail half. Enjoy the cooler weather. If you can run 13.1 miles in 85 degree weather, you're gonna have a "field day" in the 60's. Sounds as though everyone is doing well for the most part! Happy runs to all and good healing vibes sent to all as well.....I won't be running again until Sunday. Back is MUCH better but I'm going to be a good "grasshoppa" and be patient. Later, gators! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Leslie: Sure! Wink How far are you from "wine country?" Then again, Colorado is pretty nice to visit too.. Smile....hope you don't mind that I copied that nutrition program...I'm going to be running w/my hydration pack too for all of my long runs & such...as the weather gets warmer, I'm carrying more water for both me & Mairead..plus, I think it's good training to get used to it.... Good idea Jewels! Wink .........& I'm staring at a "Team In Training" brochure that I got in the mail today..hmmm, fundraising in exchange for team training, entrance fees, etc...??....I have seen several of the purple TNT shirts @ various events over the months....informational meeting in a month....Anybody have any experience w/these things?? Joe: I remember that you run w/Buddy...he's a Lab mix right? You're probably right on that he could run 160m - if trained up for it...Like I've said before, for some breeds "think Iditarod!" Sporting breeds (Labradors, etc.) were streamlined/bred for endurance...as were Husky's & such...however, lots of shady "inbreeding," particularly in this country has caused all kinds of health/structural issues such as hip dysplasia & the like...So, a thorough health check before you take your dog for lengthy runs is a really good idea...let your vet know that you intend to run long distances - & define what that is! - one vet tech was stunned when I said I was running more than 2 miles! & then there are some dogs that NEED long runs just to be manageable!! That aside, I think for us "dog runners," it really is a matter of personal preference ~ how much & how far we take them. My Vet told me that while they are young, healthy & trained to it, it was highly unlikely that I could "out distance" either of my dogs that I run with (including my son's Lab, Misty). Now, Misty makes frequent potty stops, does some zig-zagging, has caused complete "yard sales" over another dog she needed to meet, but she also can be all business (after the 1st 2 miles) responds to voice commands & is quite the buff little power machine for long distance! Whereas, Mairead does not make but one potty stop in 90mins, doesn't yet know voice command, but is very directable, doesn't mind other dogs & people - very good natured for the run...(the prairie dog immersion is coming along nicely Wink ) I take her along for all of my runs & will be for some of my races...We both enjoy it. It's healthy for us. & the more I run w/her, the better we both get at it! Wink
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Hey, All - No run this morning. Woke up with a horribly stiff neck and left shoulder. I crashed last night when I went to bed, and I don't remember waking up at all, so I musta slept in the same position all night. This has happened before and takes about 24 hours to go away. I tried running in place this morning to see how it felt, but not good. I even got a little stuck trying to get a T-shirt on this a.m. I was cracking myself up. So here I am, sitting with a heating pad and contemplating a margarita to help make things better. Big grin Cindy - I don't know what happened to my post I tried last night, but I live about 3 1/2 to 4 hours north of Wine Country. Just a hop, skip, and jump away. Three-4 hours a hop, skip, and jump?? Yep. We're waaay up in Northern CA, so driving 4 hours to get somewhere of significance is nothing new for us. Actually, my hub was in Colorado a few years ago for a solitary vacation - Silverton, Durango. He loved it. Hope your weekend's going good . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Leslie-you crack me up! I could have used a shot of tequila to warm me up at ski school today. It was too cold for the end of March and my last day of ski school! The wind was cranking from the north, the sun was out but so were some clouds. I had a young woman from NY City who hadn't skied since she was a teenager and stayed out for the whole two hour private. I only had a half hour for some lunch and to get warm again before a two hour private with a 5 year old. Luckily, he wanted to go in a couple times. So I didn't run today-I was planning on 4 miles but I've had enough cold and wind today. I'll rest up for 12 tomorrow. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - egads, back-to-back long runs! And two days a week of hill work! Guess you're a real ultra-runner for certain! All that nutritional advice sounds like a good starting point, I'm sure you'll get yourself dialed in with some more experimentation on your long runs. Has anyone else experienced this: you get over a cold, maybe had a couple light weeks, and subsequently have a higher than normal heartrate (5 - 10 bpm) before you set out on your run? Maybe I'm still a little dehydrated from being sick?? I feel totally normal otherwise, so I've been a bit surprised to see the elevated heartrate. My runs have been going fine as well, did a 10 and a few shorter runs over the last week and nothing unusual to note although I'm still not back at my pre-illness weekly mileage. Maybe I should just not worry and just run Tongue Arla

Ex runner