Masters Running

Starr's Official Turkey Day 10K Report (Read 261 times)

I apologize in advance for the length of this report, but it’s been six years coming! Pictures at the bottom…

33rd Turkey Day 10K, Worthington, MN

History:   The annual “King Turkey Days” celebration originated 73 years ago and was actually founded by grandfather, the son of a Sweedish immigrant who became an entrepreneur and philanthropist.  He founded the Creamery and Produce Company that processed 24,000 tons of turkey meat back in November of 1938 and shipped out 200 train carloads of turkeys to the east coast.  He left a legacy of parks and water projects that has benefited this town immeasurably. 

The Event:   From the race website -- Since its beginning in 1980, this event has grown to become one of the area's premier roadraces. The festive spirit of the Turkey Day 10K has attracted both the serious runners who compete regularly as well as individuals entering their first roadrace. The energizing music at the registration area and along the course, the ideal September running conditions, the crowds of cheering spectators, the experienced volunteer staff, the soothing massage at the finish, the free picnic with live entertainment, the classic designer T-shirt and many other amenities have made this "not your ordinary race".

Weather: Temps can range from near freezing, to rain, to sweltering heat.  This year it was 70° with a brisk wind of 20 mph when the gun went off at 10:30.

My Goals:

1. To hydrate well and not have to stop for a bathroom break
    2. To finish feeling good under 1:15:00
    3. To have fun

Fashion Report: I wore new black running capris and a short sleeved, purple dri-fit shirt. I got these from Nike.com using my free MyCokeRewards points. A sweatband and sunglasses completed the look.  

The Race:  This was my 3rd Turkey Day10K.  Since we live right on the race route, we would always cheer for the runners and play music as they ran by. I truly wanted to become a runner but that seemed like an impossibility. Eventually I started a couch-to-5K program in the fall of 2004 and ran my first and only 5K in December. The next September I ran Turkey Day with a time of 1:02:51, still my PR.  I learned that with a little faith and a lot of determination all things are possible. I’ve been in a different AG for each race.

The night before the race we took the grandkids and granddogs out for a boat ride on the calm waters of Lake Okabena and had a relaxing time.  Race morning was more playtime with the grandkids.  Since I had my chip and bib I didn’t leave until 10:10, parked in my office lot and walked to the start.  The gun went off before I knew it.  I’m glad that I decided to run with headphones since I am used to having my tunes.  I listened to DaveinAAMix which was just the right variety of songs and upbeat tempo.

The first mile was my fastest at 10:44 but I managed to run steady 11:45 average pace, even into the wind the first three miles.  Seeing the grandchildren and family cheer me on at mile 2.75 was priceless.  The course is wonderful, starting downtown with the crowds, around the lake then back down Main Street to finish.  Actually, all along the course people play music, cheer and encourage everyone.  I had fun greeting people by name as I ran by, I’m sure some of them didn’t even recognize me.

With the wind at my back in miles 4 and 5, I recalled this verse I had memorized recently:

Isaiah 40:31

“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength,

They will soar on wings like eagles,

They will run and not grow weary,

They will walk and not grow faint.”

Saturday was my 90th day of sobriety so all in all it was a perfect day!

Stats:

1:12:59

11:45 pace

AHR = 152, MHR = 164

563/583 Overall

12/12 AG

My splits and HR:

Mile 1 - 10:44 (149)

Mile 2 - 11:28 (153)

Mile 3 - 12:00 (153)

Mile 4 - 11:40 (152)

Mile 5 - 11:49 (153)

Mile 6 - 11:51 (154)

last .2 -  2:11 (161)  (10:56 pace)

Up next:  Run Crazy Horse Half Marathon on September 30th.  After the 4th of July week I jumped into a 12 week training plan for the half with this 10K worked in too.  I had a long run of 11 miles to do on Sunday so I ran the race instead of racing it. I barely had 100 miles for the year at the end of June.

Interesting Trivia:

• OA winner 30:07
    • Of the 4 elite Kenyan runners from the Twin Cities, the two gals were 1st and 2nd for the women and guys came in 2nd and 3rd in the men’s race.
    • 5 people finished under 31 minutes
    • Ages ranged from 10 to 78
    • The first hometown runner to finish was a 14 year old with a time of 37:15, breaking that AG record
    • 3 people have run all 33 consecutive races
    • A 66 year old man ran an awesome 41:22, wow! (I thought of SpareRibs when I read that)

I already put a couple of these in the daily, but here they are again.  The race web site has a great photo of the Kenyan racers in what looks like perfect form. http://www.turkeyday10k.com/photos.htm

Sunset on Lake Okabena from the boat on Friday night

In back of my house before the race

Coming down the hill towards my house

2.75 miles done!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a great race!  Hey, did Paycheck win the turkey race?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Nice race, great report.

Awesome way to spend 90 days of sobriety!

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations!  Smile  Great report, and great pictures!

Runners run

SteveP

I truly wanted to become a runner but that seemed like an impossibility. Eventually I started a couch-to-5K program in the fall of 2004 and ran my first and only 5K in December. The next September I ran Turkey Day with a time of 1:02:51, still my PR.  I learned that with a little faith and a lot of determination all things are possible.

With the wind at my back in miles 4 and 5, I recalled this verse I had memorized recently:

Isaiah 40:31

“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength,

They will soar on wings like eagles,

They will run and not grow weary,

They will walk and not grow faint.”

Saturday was my 90th day of sobriety so all in all it was a perfect day!

Sunset on Lake Okabena from the boat on Friday night

In back of my house before the race

Coming down the hill towards my house

2.75 miles done!

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Every step counts!!! 

Love it love it!

SteveP

Congrats on the 1st race in 6 years !!!! What a healthy way to celebrate your 90 days and life in general. Keep it up Starr and good luck with the up and  coming half.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Star, you look terrific. I can't wait to read about your half marathon! Will this be your first one?  I am nuts about sunsets and sunrises! That one you posted is lovely.

Congrats on a race well ran!! I really enjoyed the details on this report.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Congrats on a great race!  Hey, did Paycheck win the turkey race?

Our turkey, Paycheck (because he goes so fast) actually crossed the line first, but with penalties for having to pluck the bird out of the crowd we lost the first heat of the race.  Ruby Begonia, the Cuero turkey and Paycheck will race again in Texas next month and the Traveling Turkey Trophy of Tumultuous Triumph will be on the line once again.

Yes, Mariposai, this will be my first half and my 7th race!  I have so many sunset pictures I could post one a day and not run out until Christmas.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Great race, Starr.  You beat your goal in a race that had a lot of meaning for you.  It's neat you got to greet people you knew along the way.

TomS

very consistant on those splits////////..,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice racing starr........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Great race Starr!  Good luck in the half!

Thanks for the great traditional CR/RA race report, Starr (we don't get fashion reports much these days). It's great to see how well you're doing and how your running is progressing. Keep it up!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for a great report, with interesting facts too!  You did great.  I look forward to reading your next one......

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Loved this, Starr! Excellent.

You look fantastic! Love the photos and the report.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Marathon Maniac #957

Great report, Starr and great race!  Very cool that you get to participate in a race that goes by your house, too.  I like your Bible verse, too.  Sometimes in races I will see a shirt with a verse or inspirational saying on it, and I always find it uplifting.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."