Masters Running

Sunday July 19 Summertime Runs (Read 286 times)

Friday evening my DS called and the first thing he said was "You were right".

He has been running a little on the Treadmill and had been running the miles at 7 mph (8:30 pace).  His legs were always sore and tired.  I told him to get some new shoes since he was running in old B-ball shoes, but more importantly to slow down.  Try 6 mph and adjust it up or down a tenth depending on how your breathing feels.  He had done so and wanted to say he had run 2 miles and felt he could run a 5K distance next week or so.

Being 21, to admit your Old Man may be right is noteworthy.  Anyway, he talked to me for like 45 minutes about all kinds of running stuff.  He's obviously bored in LA, not knowing anyone.

Other family news ... my 88 year old MIL has been in a nursing home/hospice home for a few years.  Advanced Alzheimers.  She has been in a wheel chair for years.  Yesterday she fell and hit her head.  Turns out she broke her hip too which means replacement hip surgery.  DW is spending almost every hour at the hospital and is wiped out.  I'll relieve her in a little while.  MIL can not be alone.  She has no idea what's going on.

This morning I ran a short 3 mile recovery run and felt sluggish and tired.  Then I thought about my MIL who has been a faithful Christian her whole life.  Realizing she may be nearing the Victory in her Lifelong Race to Glory, my sluggishness suddenly disappeared and I smiled through the rest of what turned out to be a Great run.

Love your Family and Friends - both the young and the old.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Woods Lady,nice 5K race.  deez, it sounds like there is some improvement with your son.  That's good to hear.  CNY, it appears you have a pretty good kid.  breger, sorry to hear about your mother in law.  Some of what you passed on sounds related to some of the things we have experienced with older parents.  It's tough.

Nice long runs for PDR, sarge, WRFB, dg (do I interpret your comments as this is your longest ever?), runningsmarter, and SLO.

This morning it was in the low to mid 50s with a little wind.  I did 5 miles in a bit over 48 minutes for a 9:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

Bill, that was a nice post.  Thanks for sharing it.  I'd forgotten about your DS's adjustments in LA~ how is he doing otherwise?  I agree, 21 is young for the "you might be right dad" stuff to pop up.  I'm sorry to hear your MIL is going through that.    Give Deb a hug from me.

Nono.. I read that coconut water was great for runners.  How do you like it?  My newest , well, maybe gimmick, is Endurox R4 for recovery, based on some things I read in Fitzgerald's nutrition book.   Nice per plan run you had today, yay.    When I asked about bounding on your "fartlek day", I was thinking about your jellyfish hurdles.  Impromptu drills.  I got around the problem of those pesky hill sprint days by not really following the plan until week 8.   Just a thought.

Stevep...  sorry you itch.   I got back on the ice cream treatment yesterday.. had a kiddie cone at the art fair.  Oh, the things we do to run.   Tell Tag, "good boy!"   Can he really do that?   Tag the Wonder Dog.  He needs a new shirt.

I looked at my splits, will record them just because I was happy the direction they took... made my 10:40 a little easier to stomach.  So, 11:20, 10:46, 10:38, 10:37, 10:37, 10:41, 10:57, 10:41, 10:39, 10:23, 10:29, 10:22.     I think I was slow partly because my abs still hurt w/every step, but I don't think it's a problem to run, it stayed within that acceptable range for all but just a little bit, almost stopped but it eased up.  But there was almost no pita!!  :-).  The other reason to post them is it's an object lesson in humility.   geez you guys.    You could lie. 

Craneium, good.  you just got back.  we could get dizzy.

TomS,  thanks.  And, yes it was!  Smile  Not by a lot, but it was the longest.   I looked again at that race link... hadn't looked before at the map.  You're right, it is a bit of a distance, esp. just for a 5K that's a tune up race, & sitting still isn't always my friend.   Wish I could cheer you on for your race, though. 

mta... remembered what I forgot....  Karin, your kiddo is pretty wonderful.   Not only to make that choice, but to be willing to say it to his friend.  Makes me smile too.

Renee the dog

Nono.. I read that coconut water was great for runners.  How do you like it?  My newest , well, maybe gimmick, is Endurox R4 for recovery, based on some things I read in Fitzgerald's nutrition book.   Nice per plan run you had today, yay.    When I asked about bounding on your "fartlek day", I was thinking about your jellyfish hurdles.  Impromptu drills.  I got around the problem of those pesky hill sprint days by not really following the plan until week 8.   Just a thought.

I like the way you think...

See I'm slow.  Thanks for 'spaining the bounding comment!!!!

I love the coconut water, and really don't like to put synthetic things in my bod.  My problem with all the sports drinks out there is too much science in them for my taste.  I think like Jack LaLanne...If there's a choice between G*d made and man-made, I'll pick G*d made every time.  LOL

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

Kewl...Karin has a "date". Way kewl

You'll be miss Craneium. We'll keep the door open and the coffee on.

(((((Breger Family)))))

After Church, I stuffed a  chicken with almonds and corn bread, then tossed it on the smoker with maple wood and over ripe peaches dripping on it as it cooks.Tag and I wandered new trails. I'm not sure how far, but 40 Min out 39.5 back. AT hardly twinged at all. The dog came back kinda clean and no new nasty weeds.

Life is good.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Craneium--so I only read that completely wrong .   Glad it's that way and not my interpretation.  Welecome back. .  Sometimes my RA breaks seem to last longer than what I'm taking a break from.

Deb--I missed it the first pass, but WTG on a new PLRR (personal long run record).  And dno't worry about pace, mine wasn't much different and I went less than half yours.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Deb, it would be kewl to see you in a race. You're workin hard.

I love the coconut water, and really don't like to put synthetic things in my bod.  My problem with all the sports drinks out there is too much science in them for my taste.  I think like Jack LaLanne...If there's a choice between G*d made and man-made, I'll pick G*d made every time.  LOL

I'll have coconut ice cream and call it good.

SteveP

Renee the dog

I'll have coconut ice cream and call it good.

Fair enough!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

y'all are just special in so many ways.  Thinking of each of you and glad to be a little part of your most wonderful lives.

gladtaseeya PDR!

Karin, that's special.

Steve and Teresa, that's just silly.  I love your posts.

Especially thinking of you, deez.  And Bryll, I see Alz. patients from time to time when I do mental com. hearings (our office rotates those) and send you my best.

Still just running and happy to be.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles