Masters Running

Monday, May 3rd Runs and fun (Read 570 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Trent, I too am so sorry for what you are dealing with right now.   Those pictures just tell it all.   I hope that you are able to get the aid needed to rebuild and restore.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Trent, I am so very sorry this devastation has hit your family and friends.    Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with the ups and downs over the next weeks.

Vista - Nice!

JLynne - You can do it!

Karin - I watched a bit of the video, but no sound here at work.  Congrats on the win!

It's been like a tornado since I walked in this a.m.  I'm getting more used to the fact that my new boss is a very smart high achiever whose brain is constantly running at 98 miles an hour (mine, oh, about 50 miles an hour), but sometimes it drives me crazy.  Thankfully, she's in court the rest of the day.

Well, it was one of those mornings where I knew I needed to get up, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  And every time I went back to sleep, I'd dream.  My goal is to workout when I get home tonight.  I know that part of the problem is the Ambien I'm taking (otherwise, I absolutely do not sleep).  I used to be able to cut or break the pills in half, but they keep changing the size and shape, and this batch - the pills are really small.  *sigh* I sure will be happen when all this female peri-whatever crap is over so I can reclaim my life.  (And I can hear the other women laughing their butts off over that one. )

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

*sigh* I sure will be happen when all this female peri-whatever crap is over so I can reclaim my life.  (And I can hear the other women laughing their butts off over that one. )

Where's that laughing emoticon again? It's been almost 10 years for me, Leslie. Still not sleeping through the night. This is how bad it is: last Saturday at 3:30 in the morning, DS#2 accidently hit my speed dial# on his cellphone. My cellphone was in the kitchen, three rooms away and I heard it ring. Missed answering it, and when I tried to call him back to see if he was in trouble/needed bail money, the little sh&# didn't answer. So, I spent the rest of the night laying in bed worrying like a mother.

Trent - I'm so sorry about your home. Wish we could put a cleaning crew together to come and help you. Good luck with everything.

Many thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone. We'll see how the half marathon in two weeks goes before I settle on a training program.

.  I know that part of the problem is the Ambien I'm taking (otherwise, I absolutely do not sleep).  I used to be able to cut or break the pills in half, but they keep changing the size and shape, and this batch - the pills are really small.

Be very very careful with that crap.  It hits your benzodiazepine receptors, just like Clonazepam or Valium does and can become addictive before you know it.  If you must take it, make sure you are spacing it out, like only once or twice a week, at most.  I had some Ambien and ended up throwing it in the garbage and using something non addictive instead, an anti-histamine type pill that makes you drowsy.   Unfortunately I know too much about benzo addiction as I was put on Clonazepam last year (for insomnia) for slighlty longer than the recommended time frame (without any warning about addiction) and became physically dependent in a very short time frame.  My first doctor just wouldn't believe that I couldn't just taper off of it quickly (I would become very ill with withdrawal symptoms and would have to go back up to the orginial dose to get any relief.)  I am now working with someone that recognizes my predicament and is helping me wean slowly without getting ill.  Total time of taper is going to be 16 1/2 months if all goes well, that's how slowly it needs to be done to prevent symptoms.  For a drug I only took for 6 weeks, that is the cruel joke right there.  It is a situation the doctors got me into and one I am left dealing with.  A drug addict is what the first doctor called me.

Ambien addictions take less time to reverse.

Leslie, I care about you.......please be careful.  You can email me anytime at  karenleighcraig at gmail dot com

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

I thought I had packed my running bag with everything I might possibly need:  long pants, long sleeves, shorts, short sleeves, singlet, bra, socks, shoes.  Ready for any kind of weather. Guess what I forgot?  Washcloth and towel.   Doh!  I had to clean up using paper towels. What's happened to my brain?

Oh, well, I had a nice 5 mile trail run, 10:45 avg pace.  It's 65° and sunny, but breezy and only 20% humidity so it wasn't too bad. Weird that I had to scrape snow off my car this morning.

ETA:  Enke, that sounds awful, and your first doc wouldn't even take responsibility?  Leslie, I hope you listen to her!  Good luck with your female peri-whatever crap! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Trent, having been in Nashville a week ago when my daughter ran the marathon (well 20+ miles of it), when I started hearing about the rain and flooding, I got more interested than usual when hearing such news.  When I read about your situation and saw your pictures, it really hit home.  What a terrible mess.  My thoughts are with you and the others in Nashville as you deal with this situation.  I hope your insurance helps you with the clean up or rebuilding, or whatever it takes.

When we were there, we stayed at a campground on Music Valley Drive not too far north of Opryland.  It sounds like that area flooded.  We drove into Nashville on Briley Parkway and Lebanon Parkway then parked a couple blocks south of Broadway on 3rd.  We saw the start and then saw our daughter about mile 10.5 heading north just south of Broadway.  That northbound leg seemed to be in a low area.  I suspect it was flooded.  After that, we walked across the river on the pedestrian bridge to LP field.  I understand there was flooding in that area.  The part my daughter didn't get to run was from about 20 miles to the end, east of LP field.  That looked like it could be low and have flooded, too.  The part from about 10 to 20 miles looks like it got near the river so I wonder if there was flooding in that area. 

Again, my thoughts are with you and all the others in the area.

TomS

Dave59

Trent, I sure hope you get the assistance you need.  I've never seen that kind of a mess before with so much mud.

On an unrelated note, I read a quote I liked so I am going to pass it on: 

Carol Bartz, CEO of Yahoo on balancing a career with family, Bartz says: "I have a belief that life isn't about balance, because balance is perfection....Rather, it's about catching the ball before it hits the floor."

That really sums it up sometimes.

Enke - Thanks for the concern.  The not sleeping problem played havoc with my life for about 4 years before I talked to my doctor.  It's been nice to actually be able to sleep.  However, if "whoever" continues to make this medication so that it can't be cut in half, I will talk to my doctor about weaning off it . . . even if it does make me a grouchy $itch due to lack of sleep initially.  This will endear me to The Hub even more!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Trent, just want to echo what's been said.   Thank God you and your family are all unharmed.  I know you are going to be regrouping, but do check in with us and give us updates as you can.  It is frustrating we can't do more.  

Maybe plan a long vacation this summer, pack up the family and just drive around the country to various RAers?  We can feed you and fuss over you and even run with you.

Jlynne, that's just the swellest news!  We'll have fun, for sure, now!

Karin, more awesomeness.  Congrats.

D & I ran with a colleague from work over the hills yesterday.  It's been windy here for about since we got back from Boston and we are all very tired of it. 

Carolyn, so good to get your running reports again.  You're one of those gracious folks when sidellined.  You get the Twocat award for that.

Must go,

grins,

A

Kevin, I'm losing my fingernails here.  Arrgh.

Masters 2000 miles

Wow...there's a lot going on in today's daily.....the good, the tragic, and the sleep-depraved.

Great clip, CNY! Good thing I didn't run with you, since I would have made those "donkey ears" behind you when you were on TV.   J/K

I can't imagine, Trent. How fortunate that the house was empty....but I bet you're really anxious to get back.

Everybody: they're passing a hat here: RunningAHEAD - Topic: The Trent Fund

5 miles recovery for me, 43:45.

Walt

Trent those photos are really shocking.  I hope one year from now this will all be a distant memory.

Got out for 4 miles, extremely windy but no thunderstorms, stupid yappy dogs were after me again, I guess they are permanently on the loose.  I threw a pine cone at one of them and it actually worked!  But I forgot to turn my Garmin back on so I lost some data which annoys uptight people like myself.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Everybody: they're passing a hat here: RunningAHEAD - Topic: The Trent Fund

I am getting an error code for this.     

Vista
                          evanflein

Try this... it's in Running 101 forum.

Trent Fund

4 miles on the elliptical at lunch, and 3 laps around the 200 meter track for cool down. Forgot my towel too...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--a lot less damage to the fingernails at the moment?  Clay just doesn't seem to deal with prosperity too well, does he?

An hour of yoga tonight after 3 weeks away.  I felt it with a bit of loss of flexibliity.  But the strength training is helping a little.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Oh Trent - How heartbreaking, although I agree that the blessing is that you and your family are safe.  I pray that insurance will cover this for you.

It's unbelievable Trent.

3 miles with the fuzzy one.

SteveP