Masters Running

40s / 50s / Beyond On the Run - W/E 08/22/09 (Read 375 times)

Hi guys, I've been reading your adventures, but seem to get distracted every time I think about posting more than just my workouts over on the cross training thread (thanks for the heads up on that one Leslie...you do a great job over there).  Plus, I'm jealous that Cindy got to meet Dessa (oh, and Jim and Lynda too). The "Dogzilla" line cracked me up!

Sounds like a lot of craziness going around everywhere.  Kids moving in, kids moving out, kids that need to move out but won't, school starting, new jobs starting and old ones ending.  Yep...Cindy you're not the only crazy one!

Got new "skinny" tires and a tune up for my mtn bike, and rode 23 miles this morning.  We have some really nice trails around the lake....just have to dodge a bit of traffic to get to them.  Didn't intend to go that far today, but we got carried away.  This is week 3 of 12 of trithlon training, and so far so good. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Good going on the biking Carol. I suspect that your ride went longer than planned because your bike felt so good following your tune up. Keep up the good training!

Last night was 5 easy @9:33 followed by 5 tempo @ 8:55.

Happy Friday All!

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, some busy folks around here!

Cindy - can't wait for the report....and pics!

Leslie - hope you get caught up on your sleep this weekend, I can't believe how crazy things have been for you!

Carol - wow, you're getting in some good cycling miles - bet the skinni(er) tires are a big help. I probably missed it, but what triathlon have you signed up for? How long is it?

Joe - you've been doing some bigger BF miles? My longer ones have actually been in FF or racing flats -  I keep getting blisters when I BF run more than a couple miles. And congrats on wearing out that youngun' that'll show 'em that we codgers still got it!

Jewels - soooo, you've got a full houseful again? And what's up with the 35 hr week turning into 45??

Have been feeling a little tired, couldn't really figure out why, then WHAM! Oh yeah! Classes started - the same thing happened last fall...just those extra time-on-feet hours, doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference.

Arla

Ex runner

Morning, Kids -

I'm having to keep these short and to the point.  We're still percolating along here.  The big problem is getting one of the attorneys to get off his a$$ and start moving his stuff.  But, not my problem.

After winning big at Bonkos last night ($60!!), I got up and got a really good workout in this a.m.: 30 min of stationary biking to "Thelma & Louise," and 1 hr of upper strength and core.  Tomorrow - 22 trail miles.  Thankfully, Headwaters is opened back up.  11 miles in/out, so a nice 2x round trip of 22.

Have a great weekend ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.  Guess it’s been a while.  Just realized this morning that not only have I not run a whole lot, I hadn’t even downloaded Sunday’s run.  Not that it was really worthwhile, but every mile is precious to me.  This morning I hoped to go a little longer than just my normal 3, but at 6:30 it was 77º and 94% humidity.  Once again 3 miles.  I lost 3 lbs in that short time.  We’ve had the first heat wave of the summer this week, but t-storms coming through over the next couple days, so hope it’s just a bit less humid on Sunday.

Didn’t run on Tuesday because I had a golf/training seminar outing.  Lot more golf than seminar.  It was in the mid-90’s.  Even with a cart, the way I play golf, I got a lot of walking in.  Drank 3 Gatorades and 3 waters and didn’t have to take a walk in the woods for any reason other than to look for lost balls until late in the afternoon.

Also had fun on Sunday trying to take advantage of the “cash for clunkers” rebate with our 1993 Caravan (the last new car we bought)  Drove a Yaris that was the dealer’s weekend special and loved it.  I drive 100 miles each day and my outback (which I love) only gets 25MPG so seemed like a good time to get a high mileage car.  We started on the C for C paperwork, and my salesman came back and told me that someone had called in a down payment on the car WHILE we were driving it and it was no longer available.  WTF?  They then offered one a year older with 3000 miles for $3000 MORE than the one on special.  Now I know what I’ve missed not buying a new car for the last 16 years.  to make a long story at least a little shorter, I found another Yaris at a different dealer, negociated a reasonable price and completed all the paperwork within an hour.  Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for the government paperwork to clear.

Leslie—you’ve probably told everyone previously, but what’s Bonkos?  I’m guessing some sort of card game?  Anything involving chocolate and alchol can’t be too bad.  Happy moving—kick ‘em in the butt if they need it.  back before I got my Garmin, I splurged on a $5 stop watch that came with directions in Spanish.  Still ahven’t figured out how to turn off the alarm—it’s buried in an old pair of shoes, but still hear it occasionally.

Cindy—always fun to meet with RA folks.  They’re even nicer in person, even if they have vicious attack puppies.  I’ve been really lucky that a lot of people seem to like coming to Boston in April and have get-togethers. 

I think I’m wearing down.  The sox are getting croaked by the Yankees.  Have to add more later. 

Happy Friday night to everyone else.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I had a golf/training seminar outing.  Lot more golf than seminar.  It was in the mid-90’s.  Even with a cart, the way I play golf, I got a lot of walking in.  Drank 3 Gatorades and 3 waters and didn’t have to take a walk in the woods for any reason other than to look for lost balls until late in the afternoon.

We started on the C for C paperwork, and my salesman came back and told me that someone had called in a down payment on the car WHILE we were driving it and it was no longer available.  WTF?  They then offered one a year older with 3000 miles for $3000 MORE than the one on special.  Now I know what I’ve missed not buying a new car for the last 16 years. 

3 Gatorades and 3 waters with no output?  Now that's humidity and heat at it's finest.

An older car for $3,000 more?  Who the heck is doing the computing on that??

Bonks - It's a dice game.  There's 12 women, 3 tables.  One table controls the game with a bell.  You play in teams of two.  First round, you're rolling for 1's, second 2's, etc.  If you get 3 of a kind of what you're rolling for, it's a Bonkos and you get 21 points.  Otherwise, you get a point every time you get what you're rolling for.  Once a team at the Bonkos table (table w/the bell) gets to 21, you stop playing, each person has their own score card, so their total gets put on their score card, the winners stay at the table, the losers move to the next time, and every trades partners.  We go through 4 rounds of 6 (6 numbers on a die).  It sounds more difficult than it is.  If you can roll dice, oh, and drink, you can play Bonkos.

HO-LY CRAP!  What a freaking run today!  Can you say "Bonk-a-Bomb, Bomb, Bomb?"  20 trail miles.  We hit Headwaters.  It's 3 miles of up and down (not bad climbing), then 2.5 miles miles of lots of climbing - switchbacks, hard on the quads coming out - and about 1.5 miles of meandering up and down at the top of the climbing, total of about 4 miles.  We did those 4 twice before heading back to the parking lot for a total of 14, and where I'd turn around to do another 6.   I seriously thought about quitting at 14, but knew I had to finished.  The last 3 miles were absolutely brutal.  Everything from my butt down hurts, and my feet are killing me.  Did I bonk from crappy nutrition management (and it was crappy)?  Because I had a long, tiring week? Because I was breaking in a brand new pair of shoes?  Because, because, because, because, because . . . . . . . . ???  I haven't struggled this badly in a very long time.

I keep getting up to move around, loosen up my legs, but my feet!  It has to be from the shoes.  20 miles was probably too far for the first time in them.  All I want to do right now is sleep.  Oh, and have someone besides me rub my feet, but, alas, I am alone.   (Hub's out for the night).

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Absolutely too far in new shoes Leslie. Plus, for whatever reason(s),it just wasn't your day.It happens.Chalk it up to experience. Cool that you won some $$ !!

Arla- Good Luck with your school year! To answer your question, I do almost all of my barefooting in my FFs. I like to do it at the reservoir,which is fine gravel on dirt road.Lotsa little grey  pepples but with the FF's I glide right over them. I am treating barefooting almost like cross-training. I do it for rest days and it loosens me up.

Stumpy- Good going with your clunker car and golfing too.I have only golfed twice and did quite poorly. Both times I was a warm body filling in for a fourth in a bar tournament. Both times we imbibed a little too much between the holes! No wonder I sucked at it!

Round the reservior with Buddy for six. Suprisingly loose considering it follows a 20 miler last night. Oct marathon coming so time to get some long runs in.

Joe - That thought went through my mind, and I actually brought my other shoes to change into when I did the turn around, but completely forgot about it.  Never again.  And yeah, it just wasn't my day.

I thought about all of you today who run with dogs.  One the return trip, we went by a large pond and let Charlie Dog go swimming. He was soooo happy!!  But then The Hub reminded me of the algae problem here that is deadly for dogs.  Sent Karen an email telling her we need to be very careful where we let Charlie swim, and that he needs to be bathed ASAP, before he starts licking himself.

The other thing Charlie Dog did was (and this is soooooo disgusting!!) - Karen didn't dig a deep enough hole, and when we weren't looking he helped himself to, um, shall say, "protein."  YUCK!!!  YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!   Bleck!   We were trying to make him run behind us 'cause his breath was so bad!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance