Masters Running

Simple Abundance Tuesday (7/31) (Read 390 times)

Dave59

Sorry Ribs.  He sounded like an amazing guy.

Tramps

Condolences, Ribs.  It sounds like Joe had a life well-lived.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Ribs, yes,even when we expect the news it's not easy. Sorry to hear of his passing.He certainly lived a quality-filled life though by the sounds of it.

Once again, July miles lacked in quantity (haven't run a month of over 100 miles yet this year), but my SOB 15K trail run was stellar for me. and I'm not talking about time because that was probably pretty poor by most standards, but I found that I really love trail runs. I love being able to adapt the attitude of I don't care about my time, I loved the challenge of uphills and downhills and sometimes some tricky footfalls, or jumping over rocks, I loved the comraderie amongst the trail running community, I loved the scenery and cool mountain air. I think the 50K next year is on my agenda.

Will get in a trail run tonight, then on Thursday we are off to Calif for a few days to play at Great America. When we return, it's time to get serious and get more miles on my soles for the 3 HM's I have coming up the end of Sept and October.  

Tammy

Henrun

RIP-Joe. Condolences to you and your family, Ribs.

Another short and painful run this morning. I'm either dealing with a L piriformis or sciatica. Seeing my primary on Monday. I keep stretching and will go to yoga tomorrow. First time this year I didn't hit 100 miles (85).

Not just my injury but we've had a busy month with grandchildren-my 16 year old and Marj's 2 5 year olds  and 1 4 year old. The 5 and 4 year old stayed with us the last 2 days while their parents moved into their new house. Marj's DD has been getting in a long run a week lately. Don't know how she does it with 2 little ones- although they're great well behaved kids with mucho energy. DD daughter sent us a large photo of a gel the 1st afternoon we had them (she did 12).

Jlynne a belated happy birthday and congratulations on the new arrivals!

wildchild no idea how people can hunt deer?  Come by my area!  They eat everything causing tons of damage!  But worse, in my view, since there are no predators around here and hunting is prohibited population control comes down to mass starvation each winter along with death by automobile as they dash across highways in search of food.

Spareribs it sounds like your BIL had a life well lived.  It is the one thing we all can hope for.  Peace to him and your family in this sorrowful time.

evanflein easy insert <br><br> wherever you want a paragraph.  Apple and/or RA need to get this fixed.

SteveP wish I could go pick berries around here let alone as I drive by in a car!

Slo_Hand as if most people do not run for just that reason:  to eat!  Good luck with those three pounds they will be a lot less fun to remove than they were to put on!

rhoon phast I have been introducing the bear cam to all sorts of people.  Every day, due to you, less and less work gets accomplished!  I hope you feel appropriately guilty!  Wink

Tramps I do recall this rant from the past.  I still disagree with a lot of it.  That is all except for the part about it not being a sport if you need judges to tell you who won.  But to each his own.  About ESPN, they have a really simple definition of what is or is not a sport.  A sport is any event people will turn on ESPN in mass to watch.  If grass growing drew a big audience they would cover it.  Now I would have thought something like say the NY or Boston marathon would count as a sport for ESPN but somehow they do not believe these HUGE events will draw much of an audience.  I still find that unfathomable.

It is time for me to get my miles back up for this October's Amsterdam marathon.  I was reminded of that by my friend who is coming out with me to run it as well.  She was supposed to do her first 20 miler this past Sunday but got derailed by a stomach virus that seems to have hit the north-east pretty hard.  In contrast, my longest run has been about 14 since mid-June.  So yesterday it was out for 16.  In the heat!  I love it!  Personally, I think all of you kvetching about the heat and humidity are crazy.  You want to complain!  Can you say winter!!  Dead I despise putting on piles of clothes and still freezing for a few miles until I warm up.  Nearly as bad, when I finally do return home I get to discover if the cold has so sapped my fingers of their dexterity that I cannot get they door key out of my pocket or turn it in the lock if I do.  Winter?  Ugh!!!

Since I ran yesterday it was zero miles today.  Tomorrow I think I am going to head out for 12.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

So sorry to hear about Joe, Ribs. But I can tell by your tribute he was loved and respected by everyone who knew him. Prayers to you and your family during this sad time.

I'm another person who did not handle July well. And we had over 30 days of over 90° temps in June and July. Take a menopausal woman suffering through hot flashes on a cool day, then tell her to go out and run 7 or 10 miles in warm weather with high humidity. Not good, Uncle Louie.  Tramps, I know where the puddles of water are coming from right away - me!

I hope that piriformis/sciatica problem gets cleared up soon Henry. Take care of yourself.

Nice streak Dave. Keep it going.

5 miles this morning to close out the month, then 18 holes of golf. I'm on vacation this week. Next week, our high school kids come back to pick up schedules and books, then school starts the week after that.  Can't wait for another class of screaming freshman girls to stand outside my office and serenade me...

Ribs, sorry to hear about your BIL, he sounded like a wonderful person.

I think Wildchild said this, but I will repeat it, I love summer running for one particular reason - you don't have to think about what to wear - as little as possible!  (unlike winter running)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'm very sorry for your family's loss, Ribs.

I know secondhand what you mean, Jlynne. My DW still rips off clothing items at unpredictable times (just around the house, of course!).

Here's one for the books. I have gone on all my multi-day bike rides solo, usually counting on finding others there to ride with, although I often prefer riding alone. This year, a group of people I know around here -- a total of about 8 -- decided to do the 3-day option of the Shoreline West tour that's coming up next week. So, within the last couple of months, four of them have dropped out (all for good reasons including pregnancy, family illness, and a crash). That leaves three others besides me, who happen to be the three that I know and want to ride with the least. I'll probably just end up treating it as a solo trip again!

I rode my usual 23 miles with the seniors group this morning in very nice conditions: cool after a hard downpour a couple hours earlier.

I hope your Tuesday is going as well!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DoppleBock

The highlight of running was a 8 day stretch where I ran Dances With Dirt - Devils Lake 50k ... 3 days later a 44 mile TM run ... 4 days later 161 laps (40 miles) in the mid-day heat on a 400 meter track.

The lowlight of running was the life highlight of the month - 6 day vacation with Family - 3 days at WI Dells and 3 days at beaches at or near Saint Joseph, MI ~ only managed 64 miles in the week and had more drinks than miles ~ Great fun in the sun!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Marathon Maniac #3309

TimBo, how did your Trail HM go with Donna?  Did she do well?  Have fun? (which is what it's all about after all)

Having a girlfriend that I really care about is eating into my RA time Smile

Thanks for asking and remembering that Bill....our 1/2 trail marathon is this coming Saturday in Indianapolis. I'm real excited and Donna is too...but she's a little nervous being her first race. I keep assuring her that we will run this together, and it's just going to be like a long run day....with dirt trails and hills of course. She really struggled with her first 14 miler a couple of weeks ago, and she hasn't learned very well that you have to slow down in this heat we have been experiencing. But last Saturday she nailed her (our) 14 miler and she said it felt easy.....she finally ran slow enough for the heat. It's super easy for me, but it's still a good workout....sometimes I just run longer or do my hill and speed work while she cleans up.

We bought her a road bike a couple of weekends ago, and we're enjoying some summer evening rides......she's already a natural on the bike. But, she experienced what I warned her about from the very start. Last Saturday on our ride she forgot she was clipped in and you guessed it....she fell right over on her side. She was fine but said what most cyclists say.....only hurt her pride. I told her that this happens to every cyclist being clipped in and forgetting.

A couple of days ago we rode to a State Park close to where she lives...she said she had something to show me. We rode up to a beautiful lodge that overlooks a lake in the middle of the woods, and she said - this is where we're going to get married if we chose to do so (we both want to and we talk about it) LOL, she already has a date picked out....10-12-13. She obviously thinks I need a easy to remember anniversary date Blush

We got stormed out on our run this morning, so we're running 8 miles tonight on dirt trails, and then 6 more miles in the morning. Then I told her Thursday and Friday needs to be short and easy getting ready for Saturday. I personally would just train through this without taking it easy, but I want her to have at least somewhat fresh legs for Saturday.

Still no job yet, but I still have the same prospect I mentioned about a week ago......the company still wants me, but they're taking their time hiring me.

Glad you had a great time Steve....I would like to do that sometime.

Happy Birthday Jlynne Smile

Gotta run.... literally pretty soon.

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

He was the best person I ever knew. May he rest in peace.   Spareribs

I'm sorry to hear this, Ribs.  I met Joe in Boston in 2008, have a picture of us standing around at the hotel before getting on the bus. 

Short post since I'm heading out to take both kids to their respective soccer practices.  Check back later.

6 miles for me this morning.  Supposed to be lots of hills, but my knee was a bit twingy, possibly from Sunday's LR/Tennis combo, so I didn't push it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

rhoon, great pictures from your plane.  jlynne, happy birthday.  mari, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Moon Dancer.  enke, congrats on the 100 mile month.  ribs,  from what you've said in the past, I feel that I knew Joe.  His loss will leave a big hole for his family and friends. 

Nice long runs for evan and wild.  Good job on the speedwork for opie.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and almost calm.  I got in 4 miles at a 10:57 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

The lowlight of running was the life highlight of the month - 6 day vacation with Family - 3 days at WI Dells and 3 days at beaches at or near Saint Joseph, MI ~ only managed 64 miles in the week and had more drinks than miles ~ Great fun in the sun!

Sometimes those pesky families really get in the way of our running, you know?  Big grin  Hey, DB - great to see you posting here!  I hope to see you at the Monkey in November.

BTW - Trent is sending out a last call for Flying Monkey runners from the Masters forum.  If you want to jump in, speak up quickly, the registration is tomorrow.

I took a (planned) vacation day today after a great concert last night (Colbie Caillet and Gavin DeGraw) and took the kids hiking in Yellow Springs at Clifton Gorge.  Here's a shot of DS and I for those of you who didn't see it on FB.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I was singing "MoonDance" to myself most of the day.

Your DH rocks, Enke!!

I was thinking about you and your ticker Monday, Ribs. (((((Joe & Loved Ones)))))

Yeah Tammy, trail running keeps a person on their toes. Dogs love it too

Two Cat, the nice thing about not running with the dog this week is, he isn't bolting ahead and eating them while I try and catch up. There was a late raspberry all lonely on a branch..Very sweet.

44 on a TM!! Wow

That's a whole lot of kid there Holly!!!

Time to say good bye to July. Tell us your about that "sweet run or runs" you were gifted with this month.

As for me, running "Light at the End of the Tunnel" with some dear RA friends was very special.

Also the pre-dawn runs with star glympses here and there were also memorable.

Off for a few miles before the sun comes up over the mountain. 

Be cool, my friends.

Love love love running in the H7H. Working in it screws up the runs later. Life goes on.  I like hitting it hard the jumping into a creek or river as soon as we're done. The most fun run was a 5K with our grandson.

SteveP

Sorry not to be around here much these days .... miss all of you!!

Ribs - so sorry for the loss of your dear brother-in-law.....thinking of you!

denise