Masters Running

Monday, 11.9.15 (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice job on your race, Jay...I'll bet you're glad it's over.  Of course, knowing you, you've already started planning for next year.

Congratulations on another marathon finish, wild.  It does look like a beautiful course.  I do like running trails, but when I race, I want to go as fast as I can.  I've done 5 trail marathons during my quest to get the states and 3 of those 5, I had to walk part of the way and I fell on 2 of them because of tripping on roots.  I don't like to have to walk and I don't like falling...and I really don't take the time to enjoy the scenery...so that's why I like road races.  But that's me and I understand why you and others enjoy the trails.

I will be just finishing the challenge out east, so Green Bay is out for me...dang it!

I was really looking forward to getting back out running after taking off two weeks.  But...I'm still having some plantar fascia and Achilles issues, so I think I've decided to take one more week off.  The weather has been unbelievable around here and it has been torture to not be able to go out and run in it.  I still need to figure out another marathon for January or early February.  It looks like Mississippi or South Carolina...we'll see.

I did go ahead and lift weights for 25 minutes and rode the stationary bike for 10 minutes so, at least, I'm not just sitting around.

In other news--I have cleared it with my boss to allow me to adjust my schedule to be able to help with the cross country team next season...that is, if I'm still there.  My deal is--I start at 6:00 AM, take off at 3:00 PM, and work through lunch to get in my 9 hours a day...what a deal.  BUT--I get to be with those kids 6 days a week instead of just 1.  I cannot wait until August!

Okay--that's enough from me, tonight--see ya!

Sorry about your crack rib, Marj. Glad you got it checked out.bummer that this happened right before your 3 generation race, too.

Erika, sorry about the snowfall and all the work it makes. I am glad MrStarr does the yard work & snow removal. He does have some pretty hefty equipment though.

Wildchild, I would be up for a trail race, but would not be very good at it. I ran my first half on the Deadwood Mickelson trail in the Black Hills, but it is a multi purpose cinder type trail. Great job on the Moab race, woo hoo! We want to get a small camper van and sell the big camper. Some of them cost more than a house!

Moebo, I think you have a lot to report: 7 miles with hills, a hike and. 5K. I too hate the wind but it is something I always seem to have to deal with.

Tet and Econo, will you guys run with me if I sign up for Portland? I need to check to see if switching events is allowed. Is $125/135 the going rate for entry fees on the west coast?

Jlynne, I could be talked into coming to Green Bay if you are having a party. Training for a half could be just what I need this winter. A couple of gals usually go out there from Worthington.

I took the the afternoon off to go to a luncheon and meeting/ program. We were done by 2 so I had time to run the lake. It was windy, but I made a effort to push myself to run a 12:00pace One of my best times in a while. Then I had an appointment at the podiatrist. My surgery for Hallux Rigidis was a year ago and I still have pain in the big toe joint. It is arthritic too and he said I have sesamoiditis too and offered to give me an injection. I thought it wouldn't hurt and was worth a shot (puns intended). It hurt like crazy but I hope it makes a difference. Has anyone else had this problem or procedure done?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Tet and Econo, will you guys run with me if I sign up for Portland? I need to check to see if switching events is allowed. Is $125/135 the going rate for entry fees on the west coast?

Tet, Econo dahhling are you reading this???

Wildchild, I would love to do more trail marathons, but my DH is extra concerned for me to run alone on the trails for training and I have no running buddies to train with in the woods. But I will run Moab with you in two years Smile.

Jlynne, just do it! It will be so great to meet you!

Holly, how is your DS doing in collage? I was thinking of him the other day.

Well, Monday gave me with the opportunity for a double run. First one was at dawn, 6 zombies miles, where unlike Twocat, I got bitten by hoards of zombies (btw, the zombies, run missions are such a great way to get in those short speed workout). Then I met a lovely young lady for a short 3 miler during lunch to get know each other again. She was such a delight. I am looking forward to running more easy miles with her.

On the work front, after spending over 40 hours, including the weekend, I finally was able to finish the budget for one of the property we manage for HUD. A major accomplishment...now on to working on our agency wide budget for next year...ohhh boy ohhh boy....

BTW, I don't mind at all working long hours because in only six months of taking over the agency, the team is helping more folks to get into housing than the last 6 years...a success for the team!

Night you all!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm still hot.  that's all.

You could always try Seattle in November but you were even hotter here in the snow and sleet being dispensed on us as you appeared coming back on the out-and-back from Seward Park, weaving in-and-out and through a group of five or six guys who looked as tall as Douglas firs as you sneaked between. It was your mile 16 (my mile 12) but you were running so smoothly, gracefully as if you'd just begun running the course down along Fifth Avenue under the monorail. I"ll never forget the look on their faces and their unsuccessful attempts to speed up with you, almost laughable except I was a man too and kind of felt sorry for them.

I'll run every single step of the way with you if you end up taking more than six-and-a-half hours and don't mind running with someone who doesn't bother to wear shoes most of the time.  Same to TW.

ps - lIke the Seattle Marathon, Portland is notoriously three-digit expensive so most of us don't do them all the time anymore unless it's for something special, e.g. I love the barefoot-friendly Portland course and the challenge of the half-mile ascent to the St. John's Suspension Bridge at mile 17 but my last two were only because of the Boomer reunion in 2006 and getting together with runners from the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club last month.  I hope there might be a good excuse for 2016 too, though.

ps marge: do a holly on this one.

jay - How big is that town anyway?

Can't anyone identify the car/driver or get a license plate, photo, or something?

they take pictures of everything else.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Coastwalker, your event sounds wonderful. I hope the errant driver is tracked down.

Oh My Gosh, WildChild! You are such an amazing athlete. The places you get to run in are breath taking. I can see why speedsters don't care for trails as you have to watch your footing. Each medium for running has it's benefits. I've never been bored on a trail. I've never gotten lost on a track. I've never been chased by a bear on the road. I've never been hit by a car on a dreadmill.

TwoCat, If I tried your recipes, I'd weight 300 lbs.

Ouch Marj!!!! ouch.

TapCon cross training. At this rate, I doubt I'll be done by Thanksgiving. A little late for "before" pictures.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

...that is, if I'm still there. 

I really, really hope you are looking hard for another opportunity.....

Marj - ouch!  Maybe put the bike on a trainer for a few weeks.

Mariposai - yay for getting the budget done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."