Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.25.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

No time for a full wrap this morning: I have to proof-read our next catalog so we can get it to the printer.

Lively session yesterday! I apologize profusely for constantly getting our blonde and #115 goddesses mixed up. Sometimes I try to go to fast for my own good. Please keep slapping me around till I get it right!

How could you not be impressed with a guy who opens up about his upcoming surgery to use it to teach an important lesson? You're one heck of a guy (and a fashionista), Ribs.

5.3 RW miles at J o'clock this morning. There was a beautiful crescent moon in the dark blue sky, spreading sparkling light across the calm water of the ocean. A hint of orange stealthily creeping up along the horizon helped to add some nice color to the water. It was low tide, and the surf song as it swept across the rocky shore was quite soothing. My foot felt better today, even though I pushed a little harder than yesterday, but I'm definitely not out of the woods yet.I do have a little more cautious confidence about racing the half on Sunday. I saw what I thought was a fisher cat in our back yard this morning. If I were a small animal, I wouldn't want to tangle with it. But I'm a little bigger than that, so I scared it off into the marsh beyond our back yard.

Have a greta Friday - good luck to all of this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi everyone - no runs for me yet....i admire those who are already out and hitting the pavement.  I felt like I could have gone for a few easy miles yesterday, but had already planned a swim and a 90 minute massage .....ahhhhhh felt like a new person after!!

Ok - who has run the Richmond, VA marathon?  I am seriously considering it for the fall!!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, deez, <raising hand>  I have run the Richmond VA marathon and I had a blast.   It really is very friendly.  Also pretty.  Of course, I am probably considered a low-rent, red-neck (from sunburn, which I got in Boston--who runs at noon in FLorida??) marathon skecher-trash runner but I really did enjoy Richmond.  My friend from 3rd grade teaches at UVA and so I got to visit her, too.

Speaking of Skechers (but I so like Screckers, or whatever tet called 'em), someone, Kevin? asked about the curved bottoms and yes, they are a bit rounded, but not as much as their bizarre shoes from a few years ago.  They supposedly encourage you to use your midfoot to strike the road.  I think I'm something of a midfoot striker, so perhaps that's why they work for me.  Mostly they are light and cushy.

BTW, I did not get along with the pair of Newtons I tried,  however; I may be a midfoot striker, but Newtons seem to require more of a front strike, almost toe running, so I wore down the heels like I never do on other shoes while the lugs remained fairly pristine.

Jlynne, how's the Y job and the getting up at J'oclock?  The J fits for Jlynne as well as its namesake,Jay,  I'm pleased to observe.

Goodluck with your race this weekend, Jay--be mindful of that foot.  twocat and Karin, also racing, Godspeed, and who else???

Ran again last night with my running group (one of the young ladies made 2 loaves of quick bread, one dyed yellow and one blue for the BAA colors, and they were yummy), about 8 miles at sub-9 so just did 5 this am slower at 9:20.  Beautiful morning, still some cool in the air.  Any day now, I'll be coming back wringing wet so just loving these last few days.....

Have a super Friday and wonderful weekend, everyone!

grins,

A

ps: my running buddy from South Dakota now lives in Duluth.  So surprised Grandma's still has open registration.  I understand it hasn't been selling out since the economic downturn at least in (large?) part due to the local hotels gouging runners?  I remember when I did it 10 years ago, most places required a 3 night stay and it was pretty spendy.

pps: Just as the weather in Boston came 'round beautifully for the marathon, I know that the Sox are going to start playing like the major league team that they are very soon. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ok - who has run the Richmond, VA marathon?  I am seriously considering it for the fall!!

I haven't, but am also considering it.  I know Tramps has (and is trying to coerce some co-workers into the half).  Sure has good reviews.  Richmond is a fun town too.  Should be relatively cool by mid November.

Stretching and walking started up and no adverse reactions from the hammy yet.  Have to get a training plan set up to see how much (little?) time I have for getting some sort of base before November.

Happy runs to all heading into the weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Aamos 

Spareribs, good luck next week and please do write on "that" topic.

No run today, but I am sure I will be running around doing last minute errands for the Orchards in Bloom tomorrow. Ohhh and Enkephalin and Divechief are coming today to help us!!! Weather is going to be sunny and low 60 tomorrow. Just perfect race weather!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I am so upset!  After my rant about the spelling of "those shoes", someone misspelled it later in the thread!

Okay, 4.9 miles today. Can't figure out why I'm running. It feels like I'm going through the motions as I'll be out of commission for a few weeks, but might as well go into it in the best shape possible.

Got my blood tested at the lab today and should have results Monday. This is not to do with the surgery but my own idea to see if my LDL continues to decline with this VB6 diet which I am absolutely loving!  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

. Ohhh and Enkephalin and Divechief are coming today to help us!!!

Wow, that sure is grand of enke to go all the way to Washington state from Alaska to help Nancy!

Mornin' Folks -

Take care of that foot, Jay.

Posie Lady - Good luck with your RD duties at tomorrow's race!

And Happy Racing to those racing this weekend.

Ribs - Can't help you with the spelling issue on "those shoes," but thanks for the "rant" re physicals.  We have put off looking for insurance for The Hub until all the hullabaloo over ObamaCare calmed down, but we definitely need to see what he will qualify for.  He hasn't seen a doc in about 3 years.

And speaking of 3 years, April 21 was his 3rd sobriety birthday.  Sunday we will be driving down to celebrate at Singing Trees, along with his sobriety brother, Paul.  Life is good ~~

I got up at O-dark-30 and got dressed for my 6 miles, but it started pouring rain.  Undressed and crawled back under the covers for another hour.  I'll run after work.  I've run in the rain enough to know I'm a hardcore runner.  I didn't need to prove it to myself this morning.

Happy Friday ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

NHLA

Hi everyone - no runs for me yet....i admire those who are already out and hitting the pavement.  I felt like I could have gone for a few easy miles yesterday, but had already planned a swim and a 90 minute massage .....ahhhhhh felt like a new person after!!

I loved the Richmond marathon. Great crowd support. Easy course.

wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos -    That's a long way for Enke!       Hey, I was wondering if you got any cool swag for winning 2nd AG at Boston?   And did I see something on FB about you running the Big Sur marathon this weekend?

Mariposai - best of luck for a smooth race day this weekend!  Wish I could come be one of your volunteers!

Leslie, yeah, we all know you're a hardcore runner, too.  Good choice to go back to bed.  And wishing Shorty a very happy 3rd anniversary!  Looking forward to meeting both of you very soon!

RIbs - best of luck with your upcoming surgery.  And I liked your Boston marathon interview - it's obvious that you do public speaking for a living.

Enke - I like Door #15's sense of humor!

Our mountain trails are finally fairly snow-free, and I've been enjoying the trail running.  We have snow in the forecast for Sunday, though, so it's not quite springtime yet.

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I like door #15's sense of humor also.

Where's the respect, eh Ribs? it used to be if you threatened to impose fines for this or that, people listened, but now they just go on misspelling a word after your warning. . . sheesh!  btw: I was also going to correct the earlier misspelling of Skechers but didn't want to come off like a grammar police. I'll leave that role to you.

The Avenue of the Giants race through the orchards is coming up quick! Guess I better get in about a 10 mile run this weekend. If I can do 10, I can do 13 right?   I also plan on figuring out a list of food/grocery items, etc. needed this weekend, so any requests by participants need to be put on the Ave thread as that is what I'll be referring to!

today I'll give the distance kids a good hard workout since the majority of them don't run on the wknds on their own. 1.5 mi w/u to the highschool track. 30-60-90 hill repeats on a good hill that is near the HS track. then 2 mi c/d run (part of it on their cross country trail) back to the middle school. Their coach is back on Monday, so my "stopwatch timing" and "whistle blowing time" is over. It's been fun.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a lot to say, but no time to say it.  Hello all!

Just a fly-by today, as I have to go with DH to pick up my car from the shop in a minute (new radiator).

I will be going to Columbus for the weekend to chaperone my DS and his JSA club for their spring convention - should be fun.  I love these bright young minds. Plus I like having some time with DS. Have I mentioned what a great kid he is?  

We had a rainy start to the day, but it appears that it may dry out in time for DH and I to play our couples golf league a little later - 1st time out.

10 miles for me this morning in a light rain.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

I got up at O-dark-30 and got dressed for my 6 miles, but it started pouring rain.  Undressed and crawled back under the covers for another hour.  I'll run after work.  I've run in the rain enough to know I'm a hardcore runner. 

No questions about your endurance, Leslie.....note the early am reference: that would be J 0'clock, instead of the 0 dark, referencing our coastwalker, and now Jlynne's early morning schedules.  Y'know, kinda like bryll and greta.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have a lot to say, but no time to say it.  Hello all!

I have nothing to say but, somehow, I seem to say it the most

when I don't have time either except to escape from reality. oh well.

I wonder how erika's Scratchers'll do in the orchards? .

However, it doesn't count unless ilenie knows but, excuse me, am I missing out on something that if you run through the orchards this weekend, you get to do it again the following week through the giant sequoias too? how many are doing the RA-double orchard/sequoia tree runs?

ps - I love double JJ o'clock too, . . . except when I have to do it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I have nothing to say but, somehow, I seem to say it the most

Is it any wonder why we love Tet so much?

This is a busy place today! Glad Door #15 is working out Enke. Nice to see you happy. Good luck Ribs. We'll be praying for 'ya. Have fun with your DS this weekend Holly. Enjoy that special mother/son bonding because it doesn't happen nearly often enough. Good luck with the race this weekend Mariposai. Hi Steve! I put my crime fighter tights away for the winter and refuse to bring them back out, no matter how cold it gets. Take good care of that foot Jay. And your hamstring too, Kevin. Run those kids ragged Tammy. They'll love you for it!  Congrats to Shorty on three years of sobriety Leslie. That time has passed so quickly. Glad you guys are in a good place now. Keep the snow in Colorado, okay Carolyn?

Last day to "sleep in" before the official early morning hours start next week. So, DH and I got up at 5:00 AM to serve breakfast at the homeless shelter, which closes for the season next week. I sure hope the weather warms up for those folks, because a lot of them will be living on the street. Then I went for an hour torture training session with one of the member well-being staff at the Y. Totally cooked my upper body, then tried to play 18 holes of golf with DH. Not a good idea! It was nice to be outside on one of the few nice days we've had lately. Think I'm gonna take a couple of Aleve and sit down with a good book for a few minutes. We're watching our granddaughter tonight so the kids can go out for a while. Hope they don't stay out late, 'cause grandma is bushed!

Have a great Friday night everyone.