Masters Running

Terrible Twosday, 8.28.12 (Read 404 times)

TammyinGP

Leslie, do you know what 100 miler you want to do?

Tammy

They all sound freaking hard, but because of location and low elevation (highest point: 998 ft; elevation gain/loss: 10,034), I'm leaning toward Headlands Hundred.  They have a 50-mile option I want to try next year.  I've run 50ks in the Marin Headlands, so I have "some" perspective.  Of course, all that goes out the window once you begin running Mile 32. Smile  And it's my understanding Coastal Trail Runs has taken it over, so hopefully there aren't any of the issues folks experienced with PCTR this year.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Well, it was James Monroe, but I guessed it was James Madison, so we got it wrong.  Spareribs

Holly S. your lunch -- yuk! Dead  Cold oatmeal!  Yuk!

tetsujin209 well whenever I read evanflein's posts I wonder why anybody lives in Alaska.  Especially in the winter!  Brrrrr.  Those by rhoon phast make it seem conceivable that it is not such a crazy place to live in.  Not I am going there but . . .

rhoon phast bears at anchor Point?  where is the bear report?  Hmm . . .

hopeful4ever I should pair you up with my SIL.  With her 6 dogs plus your two you could dog jog and marathon train all at the same time!

Jlynne if your Garmin is not on the run does not count.  You have to go back out.  A rule of some sort.  Not sure where it came from but there it is. Wink  

tomwhite impressive lady, same as you!

Mariposai the words blessing and driving 12 hours should never appear in the same sentence.  Another one of those rule like runs not counting absent a functioning Garmin, see response to Jlynne above for references.

Spareribs I have yet to have any idea what the answer is to any of your trivia questions!  Man, I am just getting dumber by the post!

wildchild great pictures!

Econo translation folks -- classes started today!  My sympathies.

stumpy77 you know what they say, "Go big or go home!"  I guess in your case it is go big and then you get to go home!

Opie geez, you think that when they first put everything on hold they could have sent a blast email with that updating all the poor people waiting to hear.  Roll eyes

StarrRuns congratulations on your new longest run ever.  I cannot imagine having 35 relatives!  If I held a family reunion and my whole family showed up (at least those I know about) it would be 7 people plus me would be 8.  Of those 7 three I would not mind never seeing again.  So call it four all in plus me 5!

fatozzig not as disturbing as your last avatar.  I am going to be able to sleep tonight.  You are slipping my dear!  Big grin

Tramps spectacular terrain!  I always tell people the best thing about running is traveling.  You get to see sights and vistas in ways you never would by car.

This not running or doing anything that involves standing is killing me (Dead <== See look at that!)  I did not run today.  Jlynne so my avatar is safe for now!  My ankle feels a lot better.  Maybe close to 100%.  But my PT suggested I lay off my ankle until Thursday.  PT, "If you stay off your ankle until Thursday will the world end?"  Me, "I guess so since I am thinking about it."  Ahh, brave words but then I decided to listen to her. I guess there are worse things . . . oh yea 2.5 years of no running.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hello everyone!

I know I have been MIA from here but things got real complicated in my life for awhile and running was just not possible for a number of reasons.Health and work related, but the Dr has cleared me to run again, and my wife has insisted Roll eyes I get out on the roads just to  blow some stink off and de-stress from my work issues.

The good news is I have been back training for the last 4 weeks !Big grin I am 15 or 20 pounds overweight and as out of shape as I have been for a long time but it is starting to come back and I have managed to put together a pretty decent month so I guess its safe to say I am back for the long haul. I have been lurking but waiting to get back in the habit before I started posting again. Its not that I didn't keep an eye on you guys while I was away but I just don't feel like posting when I'm not running. Sorry.

Any who, I am happy to be back running and now posting so that I can encourage and be encouraged by so many talented and friendly people who ,most ,I have known for a long time but a few that are new since I last posted. Hello to all the new and (((()))) to all my old friends here on this forum.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Evening!  Some great pictures here today - I love it when you share like that.

Spareribs - I enjoyed the 2aday article.  My problem with 2adays is not just that I get home from work so tired, but that the whole shower/hairwashing/blo-drying event with long hair is something that I don't like to do twice a day.  Roll eyes

Tom - inspiring, yes indeed.

Twocat - I'm not getting another piece of kitchen equipment until I get my rice cooker.

Hallar - Hiyah!

No soccer game tonight, just practice (DS' team won again last night), so I came home and cooked spagettii/turkeymeatballs/garlictoast for tonight's dinner, and seasoned beef for tomorrow night's tacos.  Not terribly imaginative, but since everyone in the house gets home before me, they tend to snack themselves into oblivian instead of eating dinner if I dont have something made up ahead.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Oops, time to pick up DS...till tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Econo, great relay with your son.  tomw, that lady sure is an inspiration.  mari, good family times are special.  starr, it sounds like a great family reunion.  Tramps nice vacation pictures.  wild, neat pictures of the pelicans.  hallar, it's good to hear from you and know you're back.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, holly, mari, bike (a couple), and starr (longest ever).

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:30 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I have logged on about 4 times today, but got interrupted each time before I could finish reading and post. 

Starr said:

I even got home before my alarm clock went off. 

Now that is truly something to be proud of!

TW, thanks for the unsung hero inspiration.

Ribs, are all these trivia questions about American history?  Ugh....toss me a science question....

Tramps, that last photo looks a lot like one that WIldchild posted recently of an alpine lake - or do all alpine lakes in Colorado look similar?  Still beautiful.  And I can't believe you hiked that many miles each day.  But then again, Tribee probably forced you....

Wild - white pelicans, gorgeous.

Craneium, BTDT.  Keep posting now.

Well, I almost bagged my run this morning....was awake for about 1.5 hours in the middle of the night (not an unusual thing) but preoccupied with stuff.  So I didn't get my full sleep and felt a bit crappy come morning.  Gave myself a little extra time to wake up and then went out in my new Brooks Green Silence runners ($37 dollars, RunningWarehouse clearance - only for email subscribers! Wink) and they felt just fine.  Did a short 3 mile tempo, which felt great to relieve stress, but my time says I am in no position to race a 5K just yet.  Mariposai, I have the Autumn Leaf run in October highlighted on my calendar, and guess what - my boss is away that Friday!  Maybe I will come out to volunteer just like I said I would.....  It would be great for once not to go back on my word!

And finally, I was going to add that I love BIG families!  I married into a big extended Catholic family that all lived within 15 miles of each other and LOVED all the family get-togethers they would have.  They were all so loyal to each other and helped each other in times of need.  My parents were removed from their siblings by geography and I never knew my cousins well.  I feel intense guilt that we have moved away from mine and my husband's extended family, but that was our choice, to pursue better job opportunities.  (or maybe out of sheer wanderlust!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

With that Jersey shore chick gone most of the time, Enke has become my new heart throb.  So for science, here you go:

The process to heat a liquid, especially milk, to just under the boiling point for the purpose of killing bacteria is known as...?

This unit of electrical resistance is named for what German physicist?

And for Twocat, who also moans about not knowing anything but whose brain and cooking skills I would kill to have:  "This watch is named for a letter in the Greek alphabet.'  And:  "What is the name of the dish featuring an orange brandy sauce over pancakes?"

And Holly, so you don't feel left out, EVERYONE wrote me on FB to tell me that a woman's hair is the biggest problem with two-a-days. My RP said to me, "Why don't you just get a buzz cut?"  And I did.  She has very long hair, and works out twice a day anyway, as she runs with me and teaches tennis.  You were not alone on that one. I was wearing the same running outfit for two days until the Saint said not to worry about it.  Was trying to cut back on the ton of laundry. It's an issue.   Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Here we are.  Note her long hair, pinned up.  My shorts and sunglasses match, not shown are yellow shoes. 

Spareribs

2nd question: ohm. That photo proves why your wife is called The Saint.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #3309

14 miles today for me........8 miles early this morning - 6 miles tonight. Weighed myself in the middle of the day, and I was down too 139 pounds. OK, probably too skinny for me, but at least I'm on the right track for what I'm striving for. Donna had us on a vegetarian diet which I love, but not enough protein I imagine. Working on that so I don't lose too much.....

Timbo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

fatozzig not as disturbing as your last avatar.  I am going to be able to sleep tonight.  You are slipping my dear!  

I'm placating the squeamish . . . for now . . .

I have male-patterned baldness.  Hair taking too long to dry is definitely not an issue.  Towel dry, wait 10 minutes, done deal.  Styled?  No.  Looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket?  Yes.  I didn't say I was back to beauty, just dry hair.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Yeah...Ribs has old the guys here mighty jealous by now. One great looking gal you have there, Ribs. RE: hair...I always have worn my hair short, so I have no idea how long hair can complicate running.

Hallar sighting...hurray!!!!!!!!!!!

Starrunning, it is always so great to see you here.

Tramps, great pictures!!!  I am glad that you and tribee had a good time. No Washington State work in your plan? We got some futon in our den, ya know Wink.

Hayy, I made it  today in the famous tselbs list...mighty happy I am.

Well, no running for me at all today, but I sure had a blast cooking some Cantonese dinner for the boys after a long day at work. 

So, what is Erika doing this week? I am so far behind around here that I am lost!

BTW, any update on Karin?

Cool weather is coming my way this week. Sitting on the deck right now feels magnificent!

hurray to Enkephalin's news about coming to help out at the Autumn Leaf Run!!! Bring the kids!!! Bring your DH!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ribs...

pasteurization

Ohm

crepes suzette

So nice to see Halllar (with 3 l's!!!) posting today. Welcome back, fren, and glad to hear you're back at it.

Hi Nancy! I don't post much, just don't ever seem to have time. But now, just before bed I logged my run and checked the daily. Running well, but man is it hard to find the time. It just seems like there's so much going on and so much to do, I don't know how I'll ever feel caught up. Work is incredibly busy, but I think going well. Running is going well, with this being my last big week before Equinox. DS1 just moved back to the dorms, so now I can try to get his room ready for Holly (sorry, dear, about all the "young man" type posters on the walls... but I'll try to have the bathroom cleaned!). Life goes on, and if anyone wants to come to visit, they'll just have to turn a blind eye to the mess. Blush

Today I had a lot going on in the morning, but told myself if I got the scoring done on this recruitment we're doing that will HELP me at work, then I could go for a run. Got done at 12:50 and was out the door by 1 for 6.3 miles on the easy trail behind campus. Once again I'm revising my normal week to do an 11 mile trail race on Thursday, but I'll treat it as a training run on trails. It's the last of the trail series races here and the first I'll have done, so it's not like I'm in any running for placings or anything. Should be fun, and a run I'd do on my own but this will have a water stop halfway!