Masters Running

I'm putting on a race! (Read 295 times)

Hi everyone,

I know none of you live anywhere near me, except Tom W. and even he is a distance away, but I wanted to share this

blog w/ you.  It is something I've been working on for several weeks and is now coming together. I have NEVER put on a 

race and decided it was time to give it a try.  Any advice from seasoned race directors is welcome.  

http://imaginationlibrary5k.blogspot.com/

...HOW COOL fussy//..........couldn't open the link,

when and where is it???

when we hosted one back in the 80s we had a car following behind the last runner,

the temps had hit 100+

and actually had to pick up 3-runners

we still had a guy pass out in a basement on route (who we missed)

the crew manning the Turn Points was Key to the whole race.

also,

PM piejones

over at KickRunners Masters Forum

<font><font><font>http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/list/34</font></font></font>

he has organized the Knoxville Marathon for the past few years and would have A LOT of useful info.

........Good Luck.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Hi everyone,

I know none of you live anywhere near me, except Tom W. and even he is a distance away, but I wanted to share this

blog w/ you.  It is something I've been working on for several weeks and is now coming together. I have NEVER put on a 

race and decided it was time to give it a try.  Any advice from seasoned race directors is welcome.  

http://imaginationlibrary5k.blogspot.com/

Now Clickable !

It is wonderful Helen that you are going to be a race director.  I've done several times ranging from a 100 runner 5k to a 650 runner half marathon.  Gives you a whole new prospective when you go to other races.  Someone sent me this guide a few years ago.  Much of your work appears to be already done so you won't need to use much of the guide but maybe it can help. 

I will have to send it in a message because it is 30 pages.

Good luck!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

very cool - if i lived near you i'd be there!!   good luck!!

denise

#artbydmcbride

Oh man, I wish I lived close to you!!!!!!

Runners run

Thanks for the support!

Tom, you're scaring me!

Slo, how did you make it clickable?

Sarge, no need to send...I have a lengthy one from the Huntsville Track Club, but thanks!

Ilene, I wish I lived near YOU!  Tennessee has no oceans nearby!

#artbydmcbride

Move out here, fussyrunner!!  Smile  And put on another race.  I'll help, I promise.

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

That is so kewl!  You are braver than I.  I wouldn't know where to begin...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Helen,

My basic advice for organizing a road race: 1) Form a committee of energetic people (hopefully runners) and delegate, 2) Make sure you get approvals/permits from the necessary parties (Town, park, police, etc) early on, 3) Paying a couple of hundred dollars for USATF sanctioning will get you $2million of event insurance, which may well be worth the investment (unless your group already has coverage), 4) Under-promise and over-deliver. The race doesn't need to have a lot of bells and whistles, it just needs to deliver what it promises. If you exceed expectations, however minimal they are, people will remember and will come back again next year, 5) Everybody loves a race that starts on time! 6) Have plenty of course volunteers who know their job, and approach it with a good attitude and a smile.

Good luck, and have a great race!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

fussy,

How cool of you to do this!  It's a bit far for me to go for a 5K, but I totally support what you are doing! I am sure you will get some great wisdom from the folks here.