Masters Running

Martha's Vineyard 20 Miler (with photos) (Read 415 times)

Henrun

Marj was looking forward to the M.V. 20 miler with mixed emotions. Neither of us had run that far for while (she for 3 years and me for 4). What a great way to spend Valentine's Day she remarked with much sarcasm. I had impulsively signed us up when LaT said she was doing it and we had registered for Boston. On the ferry we encountered La T. and Tnally and his DW. We were all staying at the same B.&B. and met some other folks there at the evening dinner they provided for us. Next morning after a hearty breakfast we trudged the 1/2 mile to the 11a.m. start. Heavy winds were forecast, but the first half would be mostly with a tailwind and then we would finish along a somewhat sheltered bike path. I had wanted to break 4 hours and did the first half in 1:56, but slowed down for the second half and finished in 4:04:29.Surprisingly, I was the only male runner over age 65 and, therefore won the 70+ age division. Marj had planned to use the race as a training run and decided to run the first 10 with me (and take pictures). When she realized how "lonely" I would be in the 2nd half she continued with me all the way and still ended up with a 3rd in her age division. It was a fun race and, Marj admitted it was a fun way to spend Valentine's Day. Photobucket pre-race Photobucket 10 miles along the ocean Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket (apologies to SR) Photobucket along the bikepath Photobucket
    Tramps

Very nice! Thanks for the great pictures. I have a former professor I occasionally work with who lives on the island. I'll have to make a note of this race. It would give me an excuse to get out and see him.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Hi Henry & Marg, Congratulations on what sounds like a fun Valentines Day weekend for both of you! How great that you could spend some time with the glorious LaT and TNally and his DW - what a treat! It sounds like you both had a good and fun race, and it looks like a beautiful course. Hardware for both of you, once again - Fantastic!!!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That looks like so much fun! DH and I spent a week on MV a couple of years ago. We biked all over the place, including the bike paths. It was wonderful until I fell onto the "girl's bar" in a particularly sensitive area and ended up being taken by ambulance to the ER. I'm still paying off that bill! So now I have to get back to MV!
            Great running henrun and marj. It's neat you got to meet others from the forum and ran well enough to get AG awards. Congratulations. TomS
              Definitely a great way to spend valentine's day. Nice to get some hardware, too! Double nice to meet up with LaT, Tnally and his DW!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Head Procrastinator

Great job Henry and Marj! I think I have biked on that path. I love MV! You guys are the sweetest Valentine's ever Smile
                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                evanflein

I always love how you guys do these runs and races together. And meeting with others from the forum is an added bonus! Good job on the AG hardware and thanks so much for the pictures! Looking forward to seeing you again in Boston!
                  arf

MM #405

Congrats Henry and Marj! And beautiful pictures, that bike path looks soooo lovely. I agree with Barb, you 2 are so darn cute. arf

Marathon Maniac #957

I always love how you guys do these runs and races together.
                      I was thinking that very thing. A very nice Valentine's Day indeed. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You might be runners if...A nice 20 mile run together is the perfect gift for each other Big grin Way to go Henry and Marj 20 miles sounds like a nice race & on a beautiful course. I wish I had one like that closer to me Thanks for sharing your wonderful day Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

IT was nice that Marj stuck with you during the lonely miles. What a sweetie! That course looks very nice. Congrats on the hardware too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

that was an AWESOME way to spend Valentine's Day!! you two are amazing!! great pics!!

denise

usandtoto-2@msn.com

I'm so happy for you both.. It was indeed a wonderful way to spend Valentines Day. Doing something and being with some one you love. Congrats on the hardware.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Very nice....20 miler with your sweetheart on Valentines day. And the pics are great.....smiles all around.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM