Masters Running

Wednesday, 2.22.17 (Read 34 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great recap, as always, Jay.  I will NOT have any problem finding things to do in retirement.  I have visions of spending my days sitting in a rocking chair telling stories of the "good 'ol days" to anybody who will listen.

enke--that is so cool that your son ran with you.  The running part, alone, is great but the fact that he was willing to be seen running with his mother is doubly great.  And then a walk with your daughter to boot--sounds like a perfect evening...even with the hail.

Yes, Holly--you deserve a nice birthday surprise.  That was very thoughtful of your DH.  Happy birthday!  Do we have to wish you a happy birthday for the next two weeks, now?

You are right, Tramps--it is sad to dread going to work every day.  I think what makes it even worse is knowing that so many people have it so much tougher than me.  I don't feel like I have any right to complain but, knowing all of that, doesn't take away the feeling of dreadfulness.

I felt so beat up after work, today, the last thing I wanted to do was to come home and do a hard tempo workout.  But, I never gave myself a choice and just went out and did it.  I am trying to ease into my training so I had planned on doing a 1.5 mile warm, 7 miles at a 7:15 pace, and finishing with a 1.5 mile cool down.  I was very happy that I was able to maintain a 6:49 pace over those 7 miles but I know that I had to work way too hard for it.  So--10 miles for the night and I am beat!

I'm sorry I complain so much but I appreciate you all for listening...is it listening when you're actually reading?  I don't know...whatever it is, it feels good to be able to get it off my chest.  Maybe I just need another slap.

Okay--gotta go to bed...so I can get up and do it all over again.  See ya!

I am not sure I can retire. I would go bonkers with nothing in particular to do. I have thought that if I leave academia I might starting writing computer code to develop apps and other software. I am pretty good at it. Some hobby code that I have written has been purchased (many years ago, it let you control a home HVAC system from a PDA). I would also run. Oh I do that now! Well not today now, but yesterday and tomorrow now, which is not actually now. Now I am typing at a laptop. Which I realize is not running. In fact, now that I think of it (and that really is now) I have never run now when posting on RA.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I've got 9 year and 11 months and one week until retirement.

Today I ran 10 on the tm. It was hard.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In fact, now that I think of it (and that really is now) I have never run now when posting on RA.

Sounds like a challenge for Tramps or someone.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Tetsujin, love your postings.

Twocat, how about you retire and be chef at a ski resort .

Dave, good job for not stopping for icecream!

Jlynne, wildlife sighting, how exciting and good for you for getting out of bed at 5am for your run.

Rochrunner, that Modern Death book sounds interesting.

Stumpy, butterfly hugs to your DW. I hope she is doing Ok today.

Jay, you are priceless.

Enkie, how fun to run with your son.

Holly, kuddos to your husband for such a great surprise. How fun!!! and yes, yo soooo deserved that party and more.

My butterfly wings got free from work for an hour and a half  this afternoon and I went out for a run to enjoy the 40F plus sunshine weather. almost 9 miles in the books. I am slowly building up my base and I am going to make my racing great again, right Tramps Smile.. Today's 6 miles at tempo felt way too hard for my new tempo pace (about 9:30). I remember those days when I could run an 8:15 tempo pace .

I am so looking forward to this weekend's RAfamily get together in AZ.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Well, I'm looking forward to the get together, but for the first time in I don't know how long, I'm dreading the marathon itself. And this should be a "dream course" marathon for me: downhill trend in warm but not hot temps. My foot was feeling good the last couple of days, so I thought a little 2-3 mile test run would be a good idea. Nope. I made it half a mile and had to stop. That pain in my left foot came on gradually but with a vengeance. So, well, crap. What to do? I'm obviously still going to AZ, and I think I'll still try the race. But I'll take it easy and bail if needed. I can always come back later and do the Tucson Marathon in December, which is better timing for me anyway. So, I have a fall-back plan.

I always wanted to run with my kids, but even though the one was in XC and track and the other ran for soccer, I never could get them interested in it. Nice that you could do that, Enke, including the walk with your DD.

Happy early birthday Holly, but you don't get the real birthday wishes until the day  In my family, we had the birthday month for us girls: my mom, my DS(ister) and me, and my parents' anniversary. So we usually did some big birthday thing out somewhere, but that was it. Milking it for a whole month is a real skill, IMO.

Stumpy, hope your DW recovers well and uneventfully.

As to loving your job, I sure used to. I had a job where I helped people and really made a difference for them. It was one-on-one with people having problems or not understanding their benefits, whatever, I was able to help them. And I got to do research into problems or errors in old records that I could fix and make someone's retirement better. All that stuff. Then I got promoted. Now I'm separated from the individuals, except hearing about how pissed off they are about some policy or another. I'm supposed to be "strategic" now and work on policy issues, and do things that most people just don't like. And we're understaffed and dealing with decreasing budgets, increasing costs, layoffs, program reductions and closures. So yeah... I get paid pretty well but would give it up to go back to what I had before, but that can never happen. So count me in on one of those who can't wait till I can retire. And I have tons to do that I can't wait to get started on.

*sigh*

.5 mile struggle run, 2.44 miles elliptical (22 minutes) and a half mile walk. Now packing to leave tomorrow morning for Phoenix. Looking forward to the break from work if not the race.

SteveP

Jay, I agree about making sure a void is filled. It's important to have something to look forward to.

Dave59, nice vantage point for watching a train.

Stumpy, Yikes!! Yeouch!!!

Holly, I hope you felt cherished.

Tramps, a builder I used to really enjoy delivering to showed up at work. He said when he quits viewing his career as a paying hobby, it will be time to hang up the hammer.

Bertha, 10 on a treadmill!!! WOW!

(((((Erika's foot)))))

Most days, I look forward to going to work. After being gone for a week and a half, I was surprised at the number of suppliers who went out of their way to say I was missed.

It appears I may have come home too soon. Dad feinted Tuesday night. Though he didn't loose consciousness, he laid on the floor for some time. In true SteveP fashion, he didn't mention it until Wednesday. His blood pressure was incredibly low and he's back in the hospital.

SteveP