Masters Running

Monday, January 18 ML King Day Runs and Other Mischief (Read 540 times)

Hey Peeps - Late evening post for me.

We went to  Brookings, OR, for the weekend - and the entire county of Curry ended up losing power yesterday around 2:00 p.m. and it didn't come back on 'til around 11:00.  Went out right at the start of the Jets/Chargers game.  The Hub wasn't too happy.  And since we were in a hotel, couldn't have candles in the room.  Huge storm has been hitting California and Oregon, and we got to watch the angry ocean all weekend.  It was cool until it got dark.  The hotel gave us a hand-crank flashlight, but for part of the time we down to Fred Meyers with the rest of the Brooking and just cruised the aisle for about an hour.  It was the only place that had lights (generators).  Never thought about how dark a town is without even street lights.

I guess most of the north coast (starting in CA and moving up to WA) is suppose to get pounded the rest of the week, with SF expecting 8" in the next day or two.  Landslides are going to be a real problem.  Bruce - You're getting hit by this, too.  Good luck.

I haven't done squat since Saturday, so tomorrow I gotta get back on the exercise wagon.

Holly - Let me see if I can explain "move."  When I used moleskin or those white foam pads, it's like they stayed in one place even though the skin on my foot would move around when running.  Therefore, it pulled, causing worse blisters to form.  The kinesio tape is stretchy, so it "goes with the flow," so to speak.  The reason I use the gel pads is because I need the extra cushion for the edges of my feet and toes.  I can't go more than 3 miles without taping with the gel pads.

For you, I'd get some of the kinesio and start taping your toes now to see how it goes, to see if the toes next to the one(s) you tape are going to have a problem with the tape.

These are the foam pads I would not use if you purchase the blister kit:

These are the gel pads.  They have a stiff blue backing that gets removed:

You peel the blue backing off and place the sticky side down:

Then I cover it with the kinesio tape:

EGADS!  That one picture is HUGE.  Sorry.

SteveP - Love, love, LOVE that picture!

Twocat - I've been thinking about your lately.  Been wondering how your hip/butt/whatever-the-heck-that-is issue is going.  I'm trying to remember - the last time you went to the doctor I think you still had to wait X-number of months before you could try running again(?).  Sorry if I'm getting all this wrong.

Erika - I haven't been able to go back and read the daily from yesterday, but it sounds like you got a good run in without too bad of side effects?

dg - {sigh}  Take care of yerself, kiddo.

Well, I'm about ready to hit the hay.  Have a good night -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday enke bringing record warm to Seattle.

Thanks aamos for pasting in the Satchel Paige training advice.

expecially since we don't have Fresh Air here anymore.

Maybe judicious, if any, training explains his long career.

posie -

On the boats and on the planes
      They're coming to America
      Never looking back again
      They're coming to America

ps wildchild - are you on taper day 18 or, after evanika secumbing to the temptation warmer temperatures only 55 degrees colder than Seattle today, are my 17 days now in second place to twocat's 347 days nonrunning days? 

yeah ziggy, those big pictures might have me hitting the bar!Smile
      (actually they fit in the post okay and were not too big)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Hopefully the kids had an active day Walt.

Your run sounds sweet Nono.

(((((DG)))))

Personally, I love the puppy pictures and stories, Mary.

We all want Wildchild to be running soon.

Stumpy, I gotta tell ya, Yoga rocks.

Leslie, I worked in a hotel with out power once. Ugh!

I went to a bllod drive after work and decided not to run after. When I got home, 75% of the kids were over. I showed DS how to change his oil. DD#3 inspired a family game night....Way too kewl.

SteveP

Went for a 3 mile test run. 

The run went ok.

The day after my foot is hurting.

More time off . make a Dr. appointment. 

Repeat as necessary.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down