Masters Running

Mt. Hood 50 Race Report - Finally! (Read 361 times)

I know you've been waiting breathlessly, and it's finally here.  My race report.  I can only hope I captured a small amount of the emotions of the day.  It was wonderful!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

I just spent my lunch break reading your report....it was awesome! You are a very good writer. I'm sure there were times over this past year when you wondered if you'd ever run again and then you go out and PR by 40 minutes! You are, not only an amazingly tough runner, but a tough person, as well. Congratulations, Leslie!

You never stop amazing me Leslie. You are one tough cookie. And a PR no less! Great pictures and great report (like Mike said, you have a gift for writing). Your race took on a little added meaning for me after just finishing reading "Wild" because the author hiked the PCT and the book was based on her experience. What's next? Smile

C-R

Very nice Leslie. I needed a break from some cruddy work stuff and this was just the ticket.

Congratulations on such a fine run and next time perhaps cribbage instead of gin.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Greta RR, Leslie! You're one tough runner. Glad it all came together for you, especially after the year you've been through!  Congratulations!  I sure would love to go trail running with you someday.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Queen of 3rd Place

What a great blog post! I loved all the pics that you included. 

Not only was that a MONSTER PR, but on a much tougher course than AR50. Congratulations!! 

Ex runner

Slo

Yea Leslie!

Great report...I loved the hook line at the beginning...I was watching for each one of those...gin rummy, cemented relationships, highs, lows.

You almost had me convinced to do an ultra.

I really appreciate the time you took to post your RR.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

You almost had me convinced to do an ultra.

+1

Great report on an even greater race! Congrats!! And like Carolyn, I'd love to have the chance to run with you someday. Smile

Dove

The Dovenator

Really fun report. I wish I could have been there! You really downplayed that climb back up from Warm Springs though....tough, tough, tough!!! We really need to pick a race to run together next year.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Thanks for your comments, folks.  I'm already looking at a schedule for next year and am hoping I can do two 50's, as well as the 3-day adventure over Memorial Day Weekend again.  We'll see!

Any time any of you all want to come run trails with me, you're more than welcome!

MTA: Dove - We posted at the same time.  So it IS a sucky climb.  My memory was trying to block it out.  Going down sure was fun!  What are you looking at for next year?  I'm trying to find races within a reasonable distance from me (reasonable being 4-8 hr drive one way), but am willing to look a little beyond the 8-hour driving mark for at least one.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

I love this race report.

My favorite?

Kate says, “Do you want that guy to pass us?” Me: “NO!” so we cranked it up to a higher gear, crossed the road, and sprinted up the driveway to cross the finish line in style in 12:13:41 - a 40-minute PR for me from two years ago. We hugged the life out of one another, she all smiles, me smiling and crying with relief that it was over and ecstatic at what I’d just accomplished. SuWeet!!

Got to love your running buddie, who push you to the limit !!! Who is there with you through PR, worse day and everything in between!

Leslie, you are an amazing runner! Thanks for being an inspiration to us all!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

WOW!! That's an amazing race, a huge PR that you should be very proud of, and a fantastic RR. Congrats on a huge effort with great results at the race, and thanks for taking the time to put together one of the best race reports.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dove

The Dovenator

Dove - We posted at the same time.  So it IS a sucky climb.  My memory was trying to block it out.  Going down sure was fun!  What are you looking at for next year?  I'm trying to find races within a reasonable distance from me (reasonable being 4-8 hr drive one way), but am willing to look a little beyond the 8-hour driving mark for at least one.

I haven't even started to think about next year yet.... but I will soon. I've always wanted to run AR, although I know you've already done that one. Catalina 50 is also on my list.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Dove - You now have my rethinking what I want to do next year and to go back to AR50.  Hmmmmm . . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I still need to read this - I want to do it when I have the time to really soak it all up.

but you, Dove and whoever else that wants to do a 50 next year should seriously think about SOB. This last month was the first time they added a 50 mile with the 50K and 15K. If I can devote myself to the training next year, I want to do the 50K as my first ultra.

Tammy