Masters Running

Tuesday 13 April Runs, etc. (Read 549 times)

Mariposai

enkie, that was so funny. 7 miles for you sister at mid-week...that is great!

so much to read, so little time...great to hear that lamerunner is back.

Where is hallar and cranium?

and theresa?

3 easy miles below the head stuffiness zone...at around 12 mile pace. I was not going to run, but I needed too

Erika, glad to hear that DH wanted to run. Being a dance lover I always cherish the moments when my DH wants to dance.

Boston is booming on the air...it is so cool

Karinnnnnnnnnn, you are so awesome. Just love ya girl.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

X Training post for me - Right at 60 miles Cycling tonight with my Cycling Buds in a little over 3 hours....felt good to rest my running legs! Ya know what? Some of my Cycling Friends really upset and made me mad / pissed tonight because a few of them went on and on and on and on about how I am ruining and damaging my knees - hips - and basically destroying my legs in general, because of how much I run ....they were much more vocal about it than they normally are, but I also am stronger than them right now because of my RUNNING all winter and spring, that it irritates them I guess. I finally got tired of hearing it and took off and dropped them and never looked back. They tried to give me examples of people they know that WERE runners, and wore out their hips - knees - and all sorts of body parts. I personally don't beleive this is true most of the time.....but oh well, Huh! ------Denise - Denise....the stories I could tell about me, and others, who didn't clip in - or clip out and fall plum over on their side (it's not a matter of if, but when) But when it happens, just remember it happens to every cyclists. If I were you, I would go to a big parking lot or grassy area and practice clipping in and un-clipping. My first time that I forgot to un-clip was at one of the busiest intersections in town....people just looked at me like I was crazy for just falling over on my side for no apparent reason (grins) - Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

My first time that I forgot to un-clip was at one of the busiest intersections in town....people just looked at me like I was crazy for just falling over on my side for no apparent reason (grins) - Tim

The visual of this is priceless!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

5 mile tempo run tonight, 7:54 avg pace. Blowing icy snow, wind, 37°F temps, hills, this run had it all. It was fun! But, I know I need to be careful so was taking "inventory" of all bits as I went. Everything seems fine. Almost weird, I tell ya.

fatozzig let me add my congratulations on finishing your 50 miler!  I really just cannot imagine that!  50 miles!

PBJ I hope the audit went well!  So much fun!

SueT48 you are so right about dropping weight helping with race times.  There are several calculators that show just how dramatic the impact is.  I found the one at Running for Fitness to be so accurate it is scary!

Jlynne seeing as how it is the final season I really thought killing Rene was a bit gratuitous.  Yea, it keeps up the idea nobody is "safe" other than Jack.  But still . . . anyway DW thinks I am wrong.  But then what else is new? 

dg. I think that what happens is that when we are partially healed everything feels just fine until you push it.  So while sitting around your brain says, "let's go!"  Then once you go your body says, "let's stop!"  Bad brain! 

biketm they can give you all the examples they like but a lot of research strongly suggests the opposite is true: runners have fewer joint problems than other athletes.  Even couch potatoes need hip and knee replacements.  Apparently, especially couch potatoes.  So it is not activity that causes joints to fall apart.  That is not surprising once you think about it.  When people say running is bad for your joints they have in mind a model like a car.  As you use a car it wears out and the parts need to be replaced.  If our bodies worked that way going to the gym would be deadly!  You would lift weight, wear out your muscles and soon be a pile of useless bones on the floor.  But that is not how it works.  Rather you wear out muscle tissue.  Your body says, "well that did not work how about we rebuild the muscle tissue plus add some extra so it does not wear out so easily."  As a result you get stronger.  The research indicates joints may work the same way.  You do some damage to them from running.  Your body says, "we better strengthen them" and you end up with stronger, better joints.  Couch potatoes and others that do not stress their joints do not wear them down and so their bodies let them go.  Over the long run that may be why non-runners have more joint problems than runners.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I've had an itchy rash on my lower legs all winter.  I had blamed it on dry winter air, but that is not the case anymore, so I am going to the doctor later this morning.   I sure can't wear shorts with legs like this!  Wink   I'm going to get my iron checked too, I'm feeling awfully tired lately.   

Don't let my mom see you scratching!!! She will make you have a bath!!! Then you get yucky powder all over you!!

Sniffing Butts, Tag