Masters Running

Sunny Cellcom Sunday 5/22 (Read 36 times)

Good morning good people! It's a beautiful day here for race day. Just had some yogurt and coffee and am waiting for my friend to pick me up so we can get over to Lambeau Field to see the marathon folks take off. I have mixed emotions about the weekend coming to an end. I've been training for this race since January and it will be nice to get this one behind me, but it means Erika, Peter, Aamos, Holly, Starr and Mr. Starr will all be going home. It was great to meet them all, and I hope everyone had a great time. I know I did!

Good luck to all who are racing today!

coastwalker

Mornin' Jlynne and everyone still coming along.

So, TW is horsing around, Stumpy is looking for Tramps in all the wrong places, and Twocat and Tet are generating plenty of underpass envy - interesting day. I’m glad that Dave had been diagnosed as being alright, and that Enke and MBE finally got rid of that hedge that she hated. It seems that the CellCom crew are having a fine and dandy time, which is not at all surprising. Neither is it surprising that Aamos won her AG in yesterday’s 5K!

Our painted rain barrel silent auction went from 9 till 1 yesterday, but, of course, all the excitement was in the last 15 minutes. We had 8 rain barrels up for auction, and each one found a new home. After we finished, I headed home for lunch and lawn mowing and weed-pulling and all sorts of other fun stuff in the yard. Here are this year's painted rain barrels:

Because I was on my feet the entire day yesterday, my legs were feeling heavy when I woke this morning. There is more yard work in my immediate future, so I decided to skip today’s workout and go for the yard work cross-training instead. I still feel like I’m wimping out, but I think I can deal with that for one day.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I hope everyone has a good time at the Green Bay race this morning. I've done the half there 1.87 times and it was HOT. Looks like much nicer weather this year.

Put me down for 2 easy miles this morning. I was stiff from yesterday's 5k and decided a run would loosen me up. And it actually did.

Beautiful morning here. Our porch is on the north side of the house and I have been watching the progression of the shadows on it over time. It's gone from no sun at all to this morning it is 95% in the sun. I had to pull my chair back in the shadow to type  this out on my tablet.

Good luck to our RA masters today in Green Bay. The pictures from their day together (in another topic thread) look great!

Those are a lot of barrels coastwalker!

Jlynne the day is not over yet! Plus, there will be many more meetups,  I am sure.

Really, I am getting fed up with this nature stuff! When the radar says there is no rain in the area, that is supposed to be no rain! It does not mean, no rain until a pop up shower appears out of nowhere! That led to 6 miles with some drizzle in the middle!   Of course, now the sun is out.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Uh oh--sounds like Twocat is breaking his own rule...

Where are all the race reports and pictures from today?!

Jay, I want to make my own rain barrel.  I'll google it, but is there any specific site you can direct me too or any particular design to use?

I guess I'll just keep checking back here and on Facebook for some Green Bay pictures.

See ya!

mrrun

Congrats to all the Cellcom runners - you did awesome, but I'll let you tell your own stories - and perhaps some pictures???

...80's here

...45-min HH with trekking poles, 2-lb boots

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!  I am terrible at posting on this laptop, but  wanted to check in and let you know we survived!  It was a beautiful day, if a bit hot.  I sort of thought that since Dave59 was staying home it might not be so hot, but I was wrong.  It was mid-50,s at the start {low 70's at the finish}, but the brilliant sun was already high at 7am, and I was very hot before the first mile was done, and my shirt was soaked with sweat by mile #3 - very rare for me to be that hot so early in a marathon.  not acclimated yet, I guess.  Knowing this, I hit all 20 of the water stops to stay ahead of hydrating.  Like my stepsister Wendy says, hitting all the water stops doesn't affect your finishing time nearly as much as passing out does.    My favorite parts were the pelicans in the river as we crossed the bridge and running inside Lambeau Field at the finish.  Anyway, I finished in 4:47 - not too terrible, given the givens. But get this - Amy won her AG and Erika got 2nd AG - well done!!

My stepsister Wendy flew in last night to join us and ran the HM which is very cool - her 50th HM - awesome to be able to spend some time with her.  Erik and her DH and Starr and her DH had to leave after the race to go on to other obligations, but Amy and Wendy and I are staying another night before heading back to our respective homes (Wendy will drive back with me to Dayton).  What a wonderful weekend this has been, and so awesome to meet Starr and Jeanne and their very nice spouses, and to see Amy, Erika and Peter again (and also to share this running thing with Wendy).  As we have said here before, the meet-up of great friends is what it is all about.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

BTW, Dave59 - nice 5K!

Twocat - love the underpasses!

Okay, time to work out dinner...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to all the Wisconsin runners!  Holly, how many states is this for you now?

Sadly, (well not really), there are no overpasses or underpasses around here.  So I just ran on the dirt road today.  Yesterday I ran a mile and my knee hurt, so I cut it short.  Today I ran 2.5 miles, and my knee felt pretty good.  I was considering going further, but then remembered that's how I always get in trouble when I'm recovering from an injury, so I stopped.  Now I'm icing and taking ibuprofen, and hope it feels good again tomorrow.

I like the rain barrels, except the ones that say Pepsi and Sprite.  I would not want a giant advertisement in my yard.   I heard Colorado finally made it legal to collect rainwater under limited circumstances (residential property on a well).  Otherwise it's still illegal - has to do with water rights.

Happy trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice weather and nice running in cheeseland.

HYDRATION - especially pouring in water or energy drink from a pinched paper cup without slowing down,

swishing it around, and swallowing when all the air is out of the way.

I hit all 20 of the water stops to stay ahead of hydrating.  Like my stepsister Wendy says, hitting all the water stops doesn't affect your finishing time nearly as much as passing out does.    My favorite parts were the pelicans in the river as we crossed the bridge and running inside Lambeau Field at the finish.

Last minute thought at 5:45 am this morning after listening to The Puzzlemaster and checking to see if there were any nearby races that might help me avoid another racing zilchie month this year /and, lo-and-behold, there was so I went and DOR’ed same oddball 12K distance as last month’s Seahawks 12K (and the Bloomsday 12 I missed on May 1).
                        Was hoping to get under last month’s 1:33:08 and, at 1:30:46, not only beat last month but slipped in seven seconds ahead of IM Frank’s GF who, after 30 years, has been putting me in my place for the last year and more.
                        Best of all, got to catch up a little with enke who’d second-placed her AG in the 5K. Well, I was two too but there were only two of us compared to the fifteen AG’ers she was competing against. I don’t know what’s going on since we last met more than a year ago but she’s looking even more beautiful, younger and shining than ever. She is a truly super runner and everything else.
                        ps to goddess from the Washington city that is the japanese word for frog (kamo) spelled backwards: the source of this week’s weekly puzzle was a moth-like insect in nine letters which is an anagram supposedly for two modes of transportation: “uber” and “lyft” + another “t.”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Knowing this, I hit all 20 of the water stops to stay ahead of hydrating.  Like my stepsister Wendy says, hitting all the water stops doesn't affect your finishing time nearly as much as passing out does.    My favorite parts were the pelicans in the river as we crossed the bridge and running inside Lambeau Field at the finish.  Anyway, I finished in 4:47 - not too terrible, given the givens. But get this - Amy won her AG and Erika got 2nd AG - well done!!

Yes, adding a few minutes to your race is definitely better than getting taken off the course in the rescue squad! It was warm, warm, warm today. The half marathon starts one hour after the full, and being the speedy runner that I am, I was not in one of the first waves. It was close to 8:30 before I took off. Training in 20-40° temps all winter and then running in sun, no wind and temps in the 60-70's was not conducive to running well. I had nice even splits the first 6 or 7 miles but after that....  Oh well, 17 out of 65 in the women's 60-65 AG and only about a minute slower than last year.  I told Amy she has to come back next year to defend her title! And Erika rocked it too. It's sad to see the weekend come to an end.  And we really missed Slo and Mike!

Loved the picture of the rain barrels Jay! Which one did you do?

After the race, I biked home which is around 5 or 6 miles so my legs are toast right now. Tomorrow could be interesting

I like the rainbarrel with the sunflowers.  Yup, I'd take that one.

So, yes, I was excited to come in 2nd in my AG.  Out of about 10 that actually tried to run.  That's a first for me, as in, the first time I have come in 2nd.  (I have 2 3rds to my name, but one of those was 3/3).  Cherry picking races!

I ran into Tet after the race.  Neither of us knew we'd be there.  He did the 12 K which is hilly and it was a very windy, cold day and I think that narrowed the field a lot - less day of race registrants.  Tet's wife won a 50 dollar gift certificate to a running shoe store.  Kind of funny eh, since he doesn't wear shoes!

I checked my results, and SHOOT, I was 8 seconds off 1st  in my AG.  If I had known that... dang it.  I didn't push as hard as I have in the past, but you never know what you are chasing.

Unfortunately, they only gave out awards or mentions for the top three in both races.  Which is ok, it was a small race. 9 seconds faster and I would have won both the F50-54 and the M50-54.  Yup, smaller race for sure.

Glad to hear so much fun was had in Green Bay.  Sorry to hear about the heat.  Sunny and 70F sounds innocent enough, until you realize you have been only running in overcast skies at 50-60F so far.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Was hoping to get under last month’s 1:33:08 and, at 1:30:46, not only beat last month but slipped in seven seconds ahead of IM Frank’s GF who, after 30 years, has been putting me in my place for the last year and more.
                              Best of all, got to catch up a little with enke who’d second-placed her AG in the 5K. Well, I was two too but there were only two of us compared to the fifteen AG’ers she was competing against. I don’t know what’s going on since we last met more than a year ago but she’s looking even more beautiful, younger and shining than ever. She is a truly super runner and everything else.

Love this - well done to both of you!