Masters Running

Saturday, 21 July 2012 (Read 439 times)

Dave59

Good morning.  Hope you're having a good weekend.

I know someone who is running the Tahoe 100 Mile Race today, but for me it was a local 5k (Midland River Days.)

I finally had something besides a dnf or pw.  A decent time of 22:50.

Do any of you track their heart rate on a regular basis?  What kind of averages do you get for a 5k?  I've been doing that Maffetone low heart rate stuff for training.  I do all my runs at 127 beats per minute.  But at the race today I averaged 173 with a max of 184.  It just seems like the average is high.  I was kind of hoping that it might be a more gradual rise but I was at 166 for the first mile.  I'm just curious how I compare.

Tramps

Good morning, Dave.  Thanks for starting us off.  Nice job on the 5K. 

My heart rate monitor died ages ago and I never replaced it, so I’m no help.  I know that for some reason I used to have a very small range between recovery and racing.  Maybe I just don’t push hard enough?

Good steady rain this morning (which we need) without torrential downpours (which we don’t).  A very wet run but it was cooler than it has been in some time, so that was nice.  Easy 13.1

Have a good one!

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Well done Dave.  While your HR will go up throughout a fiveK, it is not unusual for it to be that high after one mile. FiveK's are very tough.

Just 4.4 miles at easy pace this morning.  There is no question I am still fatigued from Sunday's race plus my travel this week.  Maybe tomorrow my legs will be back.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I finally had something besides a dnf or pw.  A decent time of 22:50. 

that's a super-excellent time dave. welcome back to the races.

I know someone who is running the Tahoe 100 Mile Race today, but for me it was a local 5k (Midland River Days.) 

Francesca's doing another 100-miler today/tomorrow too in Vermont.

Maybe we can add up all our combined miles this weekend to compare.

I'll contribute10K tomorrow.

Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...mornin' guys////////

========

24min poolrun

off to Ky after work to see my dad

...............ClaireVisit and poolrun Sunday

.....................................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tetsujin209 I have a rule.  People that casually say things like "Add another 1,000 [miles]" should not be listened to for travel advice!

Mariposai I guess that is why my DW and I cannot work together.  We do not have any of those endearing nick names for each other.  Sad but true.  Undecided

fatozzig did you look for the missing cell in the missing running bag?  Maybe it is there?  Just being helpful as always!

SteveP wow you have nice RDs out your way!  Send them here!  Where I am if you are not around to pick up your award that is it, no award for you!  Congratulations on your new display piece!  Does Tag get to chew on it since he "helped" earn it?  I just figure that would be his view of the ideal way to welcome it into the house.  Wink

Well I get to add my whacky 4.068 mile race to today's total!  My pace was a lot slower than this past spring.  I guess if you do not run very much and do zero in the way of speed training (races, tempos, or intervals) you slow down.  Sad  Man who wouldda thought?  Confused  Post race I did a 4 mile jog and then went home and did a four flower plant.  That and a many dead flower rip up and toss out.  Overall, a good day's racing and planting! 

Now it is off to the hardware store.  I bought a dozen bulbs to use as replacements for our ceiling lights as they burned out (now up to three) and what do you know I got the wrong size!  Yep, they do not fit.  Roll eyes  So now the idiot, that would be me, has to see if he can talk the store into taking back the old bulbs and then seeing if he (me again!) can find ones the right size in the lighting department.  This time I am bringing one of the burned out bulbs to make sure I do not botch it up again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I ran my first 20+ miles today...by first, I do mean my very first...at my advanced age.  It was not on the schedule [16 was], but my running buddy sent me an e-mail late yesterday: "doing 20 tomorrow - you in?"  Like the fool that I am I said I would like to try.  Afterall I will be doing Steamtown [my first marathon] in October.  So started out around 7:30 AM and 3:12:59:35 later we finished.  Due to a couple of detours we ended up doing 21 miles instead of 20. 

Temps were around 65F at start and 77F at finish.  I enjoyed the run - at first - but probably didn't hydrate enough so felt like crap after.  We had water with us - but stupid me didn't drink enough.  He did, I didn't.  So when we finish, the powerade upset stomach and muscles were hurting.  Now an hour later, after hydrating and ibuprofen feeling better.  Hell I am even looking forward to next 20 mile run.

Only issues I have is I have to mow the lawn now....Joking 

Sign me, no longer a 20 mile virgin.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Marathon Maniac #957

fatozzig did you look for the missing cell in the missing running bag?  Maybe it is there?  Just being helpful as always!

Big grin

Dave - nice race!  And yes, that's about what my HR has been on the few 5Ks that I wore a monitor to see.

Shadowrunner - congratulations on running your first 20-miler!

No run for me today, just a 3 mile walk with DH along the river, followed by upper body weights and core.

No kitchen demo after all - DH looked inside the wall through one of our heating ducts and said something about the structure not being how he thought it would be and maybe this would be too expensive of a project after all.  While I would have liked the kitchen pass-through, I'm somewhat relieved not to get any deeper into an already scary-expensive project.  

I brought a file home from work and am working on it for a bit, after which I will paint in the kitchen for a while and then make Mongolian beef for dinner. 

Family movie night tonight: Journey 2 the Center of the Earth

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

just a quickie post from me....

Great 5k Dave!

Excellent job on your long run, shadowrunner!

I had my 5k this morning, also a quickie. Teterboro Airport 5k, a straight out and back on the runway. Talk about flat and fast! I shaved a minute off my PR; Garmin time was 24:34 and I was about 10 seconds behind the clock. I couldn't believe how easy it was (well, relatively speaking) to maintain a consistent 8 minute pace (8:01, 7:59, 8:00 and 6:48 for the remainder). Whoosh!

Long run of 15 miles on tap for tomorrow, my coach's preferred technique of running long on race-tired legs. Looking forward to it!

Have a great weekend, all!

Marathon Maniac #957

Sweet PR, OM!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Wow--some really nice runs, today.  Congratulations to you all!

I'll add my own pretty good run to the list.  I went out wit Ryan.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with that kid?  Anyway...we went out thinking 10 to 14.  He had run hard the last two days so he was ready for an "easy" day...which is why he agreed to run with me.  We went through the 1st mile in a reasonable 7:37, then the 2nd in 7:05.  Just talking and enjoying being together.  The 3rd mile was 6:46 and the 4th was 6:48.  We had to make a decision as to how far we would go because, if we were going to go 14, we would have to turn shortly.  Ryan said he didn't feel all that great so we decided to go 10.  Okay--since we're only doing 10, I figured I'd hang on to this sub 7 pace we were on.  Mile 5 was 6:38--mile 6 was 6:48--mile 7 was 6:35.  We...well...he was talking and I was enjoying listening to him talk about his camp experiance and his goals for the upcoming cross country season.  Around this time, Ryan decided he was feeling okay and asked if I would mind going a little longer than 10.  Oh, sure--I was barely hanging on and knowing we were going to be done in 3 miles was the only thing keeping me going.  "Sure"  I managed to get out.  So, after going through mile 8 in 6:46, we made a turn that would add an additional 3 miles to our run.  Mile 9 was 6:47 and then, for some reason, we did mile 10 in 7:04.  That kind of ticked me off, so we bumped up our pace and I told Ryan to hold it right here and not let me slow down.  Mile 11 was 6:29--mile 12 was 6:34 and, with Ryan keeping me going, mile 13 was another 6:34.  We finished 13.14 miles in 1:29:20 and it felt so good.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed pushing through hard runs and letting it fly...maybe not quite as fast as I once was, but it felt really good. 

One of the things we talked about during the run was positive thinking.  Along with that--eliminating the negative thinking.  That's my new goal--no more negative thinking.  No more--"oh, poor me, I'm getting to be an old man" or during a race thinking, "oh, poor me, this just isn't my day."  So--that's my goal for the rest of the year--no more negative thinking.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Okay--I'm really stinking.  I have to get in the shower!  See ya!

Shadowrunner, I guess 20 miles is a big milesstone (now I am visualizing a big white painted rock at twenty miles).  Way to go.

Nice PR OM!  You flew!

Nice 5K Dave, you deserved a good one finally.

You're not stinky Mike, that is the smell of awesomeness!  (how is that for positive thinking?)

Went for a little drive to my bridle trails, figured the trails would be mucky from the recent rains so I did the first 3 miles down a bike path that goes along a road outside the park.  Went into the park to discover the trails were quite fine, not that many puddles.  Had to run 8 miles today so meandered around on some paths I hadn't taken before and got a bit disoriented.  The forest kind of looks the same from every direction you know?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

You're not stinky Mike, that is the smell of awesomeness!  (how is that for positive thinking?)

Well put!

Congrats on your first 20-mile  run, Joe.  That's fantastic!

Holly - Glad your DH looked before he plunged in head first.

Nice races, Dave and OM.

And no, TK, I didn't find the cell phone in the missing running bag.  Nor have I found the missing running bag.  Nor am I completely sure there actually is a missing running bag, I just seem to be missing a couple of things that really shouldn't be missing.  Did you miss any of what I just said?

I need to find some different shoes to wear with my work slacks this winter.  The ones I've been wearing since last winter are still fine, except they're more of good weather shoes than bad weather shoes as my feet just about froze last winter.  However, things were still pretty dicey financially, and they were all I could afford.  I'm having a dog of a time finding shoes on line as I can't wear anything with a heal anymore because of my darn foot.  So after discussing the issue with my buddy, Karen, she's going lend me a couple of pairs of Danskos to wear this next week and see how I like them.  We'll see.  They're an expensive shoe, but she loves them and has pairs she's had for over 15 years.  Any of you ladies have any experience with Danskos?

Today was a slow 12.  My legs are really tired.  Seems they are more tired than they should be at this point in the taper, so I'm hoping next week's continued taper refreshes them.  Tomorrow's suppose to be 8, but I'm thinking I'm going to bring it down to 5 or 6.

Okay - Gotta go because (1) I'm just blabbering away, and (2) I need to work on my legal association's bulletin.  Why do I volunteer for things for which I have no idea what I'm doing??

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike - whoosh!  Glad you had such an awesome run with Ryan.

Nice racing for Twocat, OM and Dave, and good job on the 20 miler for Joe.

I tried to beat the heat by going very high to run today - it was awesome, but not very runnable!  More like a fast hike, with some easy jogging whenever it wasn't too crazy steep or rocky.  Which was almost never.  Here's the elevation profile.  Yes, that says 12,000 feet - miles 8 through 10 were on the continental divide trail!  I'll post some pictures after I go take a shower.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - whoosh!  Glad you had such an awesome run with Ryan.

Nice racing for Twocat, OM and Dave, and good job on the 20 miler for Joe.

I tried to beat the heat by going very high to run today - it was awesome, but not very runnable!  More like a fast hike, with some easy jogging whenever it wasn't too crazy steep or rocky.  Which was almost never.  Here's the elevation profile.  Yes, that says 12,000 feet - miles 8 through 10 were on the continental divide trail!  I'll post some pictures after I go take a shower.

Mike - whoosh is right!  Wow!

Carolyn - wow, too!