Masters Running

Eisenhower Marathon Report - Abilene is AOK (Read 213 times)

selb3

Some of my friends from our running group had the Eisenhower Marathon tabbed, so they could check Kansas off the State list. I am training for the Lincoln Nebraska Marathon, May 4, but figured, what the hay, I could go run the Eisenhower. It would be a nice road trip with some fun folks, and it would be a well stocked long run! Little did I realsize the fast company I was with. The five of us headed down Friday afternoon, pleasant driving weather and good conversation. Got to Abilene in time for packet pick-up and pasta feed. Well organized, small town atmosphere. On the way into town there were numerous signs welcoming the runners. They also have a half, 10k, and 5k. It seems the whole town is involved. Anyway, hit the pasta feed, drove most of the course, headed back to the motel and hit the hay. The course was basically an out and back. 7:00 a.m. start, temps were in the low 40s, with a brisk wind, in our faces for the first 9 or so miles. Thankfully the wind didn't switch, so it was a tailwind for the return. A relatively flat course. Only about 175 marathoners. Well manned aid stations, enthusiasitic volunteers. One stop had a clown (clowns freak me out Clowning around ). Tried not to go out too fast, and ran the first 6 miles at pretty much an 8:00/mile pace (hindsight - too fast). But I was running well and with one of the gals who had speedier aspirations. And aspirations were realized, as she ended up finishing as the 2nd overall female, in 3:15:55! She ran a smart race, 1:45 for the first half, and then really kicked it in, with a 1:30 2nd half. She left me at mile 6, and she was still within sight at the half. After that - good bye to me! I was plugging along, feeling good, although I knew I was slowing, I was still managing an 8:30 or so pace until about mile 20, then it slowed to 9:00, then 9:30, then probably closer to 10:00, but I kept running. Never did stop, as I probably would have just laid down on the side of the road and stayed! Another of our group passed me at mile 20, and she just dropped the hammer. She finished in 3:44 - first in her age group. The third female of our group passed me at mile 23, and although claiming she was fading, just kept going, and finished in 3:50 - another first in age group! I continued on, and managed goal #1, which is to finish, and goal #2, which is to finish under 4 hours (time was 3:58 and change). Our 5th member, finished in about 4:03, claiming to have had the not only hit the wall, but having it fall on him! So, a re-cap. For the ladies - 2nd overall female finisher, and 2 first in age group awards. I drove, the other male made the motel reservations. I also carried some luggage. A good time had by all! Dave
      I'm glad you posted this, Dave, as the results aren't up yet on the race website and I wondered how you fared. You did well for a spur of the moment marathon. It does sound like you are associating with a bunch of elites. Congrats. Tom
        Wow, a big weekend for the "selbs"--you are an inspiration. Glad you had better weather than last year--it was cold and windy--I looked over at a young man at one point and saw that his sweat had frozen into icicles hanging from his ear bud wires. And the wind was in our face, as I recall, on the way back. Seriously--I remember thinking that if the DH (and Frank) had been at one of the intersections, I might have jumped in and DNF'd. I ran backwards periodically just for a respite from the cold wind. (I'm a wuss.) Abilene was fun--we took Frank to the greyhound museum--did you notice the young greyhounds out at their training camp along the course? Sounds as if you all had a grand time. grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Dave, and glad to see you are still running well. Keep running with those fast women too! Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like a great time was had, and you reached both of your goals. Congrats to the award winning women, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice company you keep and way to go on accomplishing your goals! I love the splits for that first female ----that's the way to let the race come to you. Wow. Great weekend and good racing---doesn't get much better. CNYrunner
                sounds like you all had a great time....and your group did very well in the race.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed it. Eisenhower is on my to do list one of these years, but it always seems like St. Louis is on the same weekend. Actually, Abilene is closer to me here in KC, also! Great job and have fun in Lincoln.
                  Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                    http://barefootrunner.org
                    Congrats to all! I also ran Eisenhower this year (3:01:25, 4th OA, 1st AG). What a fantastic little race! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small town marathon. Very well organized with fantastic volunteers and support! Chances are it will be windy, but it is Kansas.
                    Dave
                    "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
                    --- Clarence DeMar
                    huskydon

What the hay, just go run a marathon. Wow, very good job. You run with a fast crowd, for sure. huskydon
                        Congrats for putting the hammer down! You did very well in accomplishing your goals. You sure run with some fast folks.
                        btb1490

Forget about the excellent run you had, I want to know what happened to you as a kid that has you freaked out about clowns! Wink Well done, Dave!
                            Dave, I loved reading this! Thank you for writing like you write. This story made me proud to be a girl! (And envious of the girl runners in your group.) Congratulations on another sub-4 Good luck in Lincoln! (subliminal message: Grand Rapids 19 October)
                            LaVita
                            SteveP

It sounds like a great way to spend the day. Thanks for the RR Selb3.

SteveP