Masters Running

Friday, 12.9.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 6.3 TM interval miles, Holly. Good for you for not giving in.

Jay - our YMCA opens at 5am - is that early enough?

That might be early enough, but the commute would be a problem...

TwoCat, you find the most interesting recipes! Thanks for the update on Mariposai. Keep up the good gym work.

Congrats on your first swim of the season, Rochrunner. Sounds like the weather was much better inside than out.

Good job of alternating runs and gymwork, Dave. What are your biorhythms peaking at? 

Good standing bike and pool run, TW. When people tell me they have 2 words for me, they are not often "brace it."

Great climbing and running trip, Wildchild!

Jay, bummer about the 2 more weeks off!  Hope you keep your sanity!

I thought there wasn't a sanity clause...

Jlynne, I hope your recovery from the cataract surgery goes well, and that your vision improves. I assume that your 5.8 miler was pre-surgery.

Evanflein, congrats on the improvements on Wednesday's interval workout. Sounds like you worked hard and earned being that "mess at the end." Congrats also on a good run in the new NB 1400s. Some of the people in our local running store cringe when I go in to look for new shoes - it can be very challenging at times to find what works. Once I do, I should probably buy a lifetime supply...

Good for you for keeping it at 3 miles for another day, Mike. Good luck to you and Eric in court today.

The winter blast that a lot of you have been feeling is moving into New England today. It wasn't too bad out this morning, but I was a good boy (grrr...) and stayed inside and rested Harry, the hung-up hamstring.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I am fortunate in that I live only 5 minutes from the YMCA - otherwise it would be harder to motivate there on cold mornings.

(((Jlynne's eye)))  Re: the pool, so far they have been keeping the pool comfortably warm.  If the water was chilly, I wouldn't be able to talk myself into it.

Mike - bummer!

Swimming for me today, 44 lengths (22 laps).  I am planning to run a bit later, but I had to go into work early for a meeting and it cut short my workout time.  However, I have an out-of-the-office appointment at 1pm, and will go home to work after that, so my mojo may hold up for a run if I don't wait until late.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi, All - Still alive and kicking.

My thoughts are still with Posie and her family. Loved her running pics on FB.  Was nice to see a smile on her face.

Had really great run this morning in a light drizzle.  We've been playing around with HR and I think my sweet spot is keeping it under 140.

The Work Issue.  2Kitty and Tet, CA is legalizing growing medical marijuana.  Our County finally got it's regulations in place and started accepting applications in January (MMRSA clients).  I came on board to help in February (I think).  No one knew how much this thing was going to snowball and it just became a total avalanche with the powers that be - and the associate - thinking just take as many files as we can.

I started voicing a few months ago that I thought we were taking on too many clients, but I think all that could be seen were dollar signs.  A month or so ago, we brought on a temporary attorney to help - and she's been a HUGE help - but it still wasn't enough.  At one point, I lost my $*&% to my boss, which is what I think resulted in the hiring of the temporary help.  We were also supposed to bring on a temp paralegal and I wasn't supposed to have to take on anymore new files, but neither of those promises materialized.  In the meantime, the PT paralegal in the estate planning, etc., dept in which I was hired - and who had been picking up all my slack over the past few months - decided she wanted to go back to her 3 days a week, and I didn't blame her.  But it also meant I had to start taking on more work from my boss, which was totally reasonable since that's the work I was hired to do in the first.

After a few weeks of that and no end in sight in taking on new MMRSA clients even though the deadline to turn in application is December 30, I finally completely lost it.  The end result was finally being listened to.

So that's my long-winded explanation of the work situation.  Things are SO much better now.

And . . .

Things have worked out so we can spend Christmas with my family in Sacramento this year.  I'm so excited!  We haven't spent Christmas with family, except for with my dad when he was alive, in 6 years.  I'm really looking forward to this.

Okay - I gotta get to work.  Enjoy your Friday and weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday.  Ending a week of travel with no running, which may make it a bit difficult to match last month's measly total.  But a 1/2 hour each way to the plant and half days there (7 to 7   ), doesn't' make for a lot of spare time.  I tend to prioritize sleep over running.

That was a speedy 10K, Holly.  Especially on a TM.  Jealous.

Hope the court stuff goes smoothly.  Sad indictment of work when that's an improvement, though.

Nice that giving them hell works occasionally, Leslie.  Maybe some of the product to releive the stress? 

I think tomorrow may be my first day out at under freezing.  Seems late in the season.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Howdy Master crew. Been on again and off again in RA. Trying to close a big contract before year end and other project needs keep me pretty busy these days.

Did get to run my first race in forever up in WI after the kiddo raced his Footlocker XC. Both of us had slow days. He was not happy but I was. No pain for first time in a long time. Up to running 3 or 4x per week but having to stick to trails and grass for now. Seems using a TM makes the achilles return.

Anyway, I hope all is well and for those needed some prayers, they are being sent.

Oh and way to go Leslie. Give it to them. We have a similar issue here but its the opposite. Wanting to save every penny so the rest of us are carrying the load. Ugh.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Stumpy, I need to prioritize running over sleep!

Sleep I am getting a lot of these days, running is more sporadic.

But I did get out today, after our first snowfall of the season, and ran on the roads after most of the stuff had melted.  Only 4 miles, but refreshing.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Howdie my RA family. Greetings from Sao Paulo, Brazil where I have a  6 hours layover on my way back to the States. My trip Paraguay to be with my family during the illness and subsequent death of my dad has very emotional. The love and support from all of you meant a lot to me.

I have ran a few miles during my stay in Quiiindy. The most delightful news is that there is a running club in my hometown now....a dream come true.

More later.

I must say, it is hard to leave the hot summer weather to go back to cold weather.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

This was a very long day.  Along with being told that Eric had a court appearance, today, I was also informed that he was having car trouble...trouble with the car that I am loaning him because he totaled the other car that we bought for him.  So--I had to pick him up from the house that we have had to purchase because he is not allowed to live in our house and he cannot afford to pay for any other housing for himself.  Since we had to be at court at 8:30 (I only knew that because I called the court to make sure that the 9:00 time he told me was correct) I left my house at 6:30 to and started calling him at 6:45 to make sure he was awake.  After calling the entire time I was driving, he finally woke up when I waked in the back door.  He got himself ready and we made it to the correct court room with 2 minutes to spare.  Eric is in a diversion program that, if he completes it, his felony charge will be removed from his record.  Since he violated the conditions of this program, they were going to have him plead guilty and suggest to the court that they remove him from the diversion program, place him on a 5 year probation and, if successful, his felony would be reduced to a misdemeanor.  I was shocked that the prosecutors even talked to me, so I took advantage of the opportunity and I told them my concerns about Eric's mental health issues.  They suggested that we apply for a public defender and ask for another court date and, in the meantime enter another treatment plan and that is what we did.  The public defender that was there told us to wait until she was done and she would talk to us.  She gave us some good advice and she definitely recognized that Eric needs special help.  Everybody we talked to at court today was very helpful.  So...with that part done for the day, we headed back to Eric's, he picked up his car, and I followed him to a garage to take care of whatever was wrong.  It needs about $800 worth of repair...we opted for the $300--just to get what HAS to be done to get it through the next couple of weeks until my SIL can look at it.  While we were talking about all of that, the mechanic came in and asked about the missing front passenger side window.  What?!  I knew nothing about that.  It seems that somebody broke it out a few weeks ago and he was going to get it fixed before I noticed it.  Anyway--after paying the bill, I headed off to a junk yard and bought a new piece pf glass that my SIL will put in for him.  I was finally on my way home, when Eric called from somebody else's phone asking me if he had left his phone in my car.  Yep--he  lost his phone.  I turned around and went back retracing our steps...and finally found it back at his house!  And that is how I spent my vacation.

I ran 2 more miles when I got home.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  It's time to drink!

I just saw your post, posie--welcome back!

Marathon Maniac #957

The most delightful news is that there is a running club in my hometown now....a dream come true.

I am betting this was because YOU have been the inspiration.  My heart and prayers go to you and your family, and it is my hope that in spite of the sadness that there was some joy as well.

Kevin - I did not run 10K in 40 minutes (not sure how long my total time was) just embedded 40 minutes of intervals into a 10K.

Leslie - please tell me that you are not salary...

C-R - nice to see you again!

I did manage to get 3 miles in this afternoon on the TM while I colored my roots...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

fatozzig I have one word for you: money. There is some salary that will make all the work worthwhile. You should ask for that amount. Then in January party like it is 2017!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai, I am so glad you are on your way home, and also glad you were there in Quiindy with your family during this tough time.

{{{Mike and Eric}}}

You are a great Dad, Mike.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

so nicely said holly for me and all of us too, I'm sure.

I am betting this was because YOU have been the inspiration. 

My heart and prayers go to you and your family,

and it is my hope that in spite of the sadness that there was some joy as well. 

Leslie - please tell me that you are not salary...

huh? since they're lawyers and probably appreciate

the benefits of Leslie's work so much, won't they be providing

a 33% contingency of all the fees her hard work earns them.  

It's only upside down when you don't know how to take

selfies or rotate them, and only there if you know how

to post 'em but, after last night's snow turned to rain

this morning and washed away any trace of winter,

my snowman's the only remaining evidence

of winter in the neighborhood.

Wonder how many days it will last

on the lawn that stays green

all year long here in Seattle.

Mike - Merry Christmas.

Unfortunately, I think a lot

of us know the feeling.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Welcome home, Nancy (when you get here). Glad you were able to spend time with your siblings during this tough time. So sorry about your dad.

Mike, also sorry about the ordeal you're going through with Eric. Some kids will just sap everything you have. I hope it works out ok for you guys.

5.5 progressive pace miles on the TM tonight. Starting at 8:42 (6.9 mph) and ending at 8:07 (7.4 mph) for the last half mile. Even with the rain and possible snow forecast for the weekend and early next week, I'm looking forward to running outside along the Hudson River in NY!