Masters Running

August 13 - Hump Day Runs and Such! (Read 397 times)

evanflein

Yay Teresa! That's very good news. I love it when it goes like that... Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

I am already thinking of doing it again next summer, just because it is an awesome workout, hill repeats disguised as lots of fun!
      You make these races sound like such fun, and excellent workouts. If you lived closer, I'd run one with you (if I could keep up with your long legs). Smile Teresa - great news!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, little B'Nellie is sooo cute! Kevin, enjoy the vacation! Chocolate Obsession sounds like my kind of cake! DH jokes that I think there are only two flavors: chocolate, and anything else. Perch, how cool to see the deer! Do you think it would have continued to stand its ground if Tory wasn't leashed and came barking? WRFB, that was a nice wave run! I'm thinking of trying one after reading how many of you guys seem to like them, but will have to wait for a cool lunchtime to try it in the flatlands near work - I don't see how it would work well in the mountains. DickyG, I sometimes wish we had Tivo for the Olympics, but we usually watch so little TV it's not really worth getting for the rare times we'd use it. Jlynne, hope you feel better soon! Summer colds are such a drag. Well, winter colds are too I guess. Twocat, nice job getting in 21 miles before 8:30 am on a weekday! Ribs, you're recovering - no need to feel your life of leisure is sinful! You get a guilt-free pass to be lazy for a while. Nice walk, too. Munch, nice to see you posting, and nice walk in the rain. It feels nice when its sprinkling, doesn't it? Even if people think you're nuts for not having the sense to come in out of the rain. PDR, I've wondered why the elite women wear those bathing suit-type bottoms, too. I don't see that shorts would slow you down, or otherwise the men would wear briefs too. I'd never wear them myself, as the tops of my legs are pasty white and better kept hidden... Erika, nice unplanned tempo run! You're so speedy. Keep us posted on what DS1's coach has to say about benching him for the entire game. WTF? Teresa, great job on the weight loss and doctor's seal of approval! But you shouldn't ever say "great run on the treadmill" ever again. OK? I'm back at work today - vacation is over. Sad I went out for a hot, easy 3.25 miles at lunchtime around the office park. It's in the mid 80s but no humidity, and it wasn't really too bad. Had to fit in a run during the day, as we have back-to-school night this evening. School doesn't start till next week but they hand out schedules and locker assignments tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Great news indeed Teresa, and congrats...you made me feel all giddy on the inside Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great job Terresa!! That's a wonderful turnaround! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Three years ago, the doctor told me I should be at 150 pounds (I was over 180 then). So it was quite exciting to see 148.2 come up on the scale. I asked if I could lose a few more pounds, and he looked at me like I was nuts! He said he guessed it would be OK, but where I am right now is fine. Whoo hoo!!! My oxygen saturation measure was 100% - the nurse said, "I can tell you're a runner." My overall cholesterol has gone up, but the good stuff went up more than the bad, so he said it's fine. Blood pressure is fine, too. I'm so happy! As he looked at my records from the last few years, he said, "Remarkable job!"
              This is so cool! While I'm always impressed by the speedsters who post on these forums, for me, this is what running is really all about: staying healthy and active. This accomplishment must have taken a considerable lifestyle change that I'm sure wasn't easy. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Teresa - that is awesome!! I agree with what Tramps said - that is what running is all about for me too. Of course getting a little piece of hardware isn't all bad either . . . . Tongue

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

Busy day watching the granddaughter. Covering for my daughter who had to drop a friend off at the Detroit airport (a couple hour drive from here). Yesterday my daughter took the young one to a park called Dow Gardens. (I don't have a dog anymore so this is the best I can do.)

Henrun

Haven't posted for awhile on the daily blurb, so here's a summary of what we've been up to. On Sunday we biked 41 miles with a group and tired ourselves out thoroughly. But yesterday Marj bounced back with a 13 miler while I did some speed work at the local track. Today, as the weather continued beautifuly, we decided not to do another long bike ride because of our weekend plans. Instead we biked 7 miles (round trip) to breakfast and kayaked on the Charles later in the morning. This weekend we do our annual summer trip to the Hamptons in New York to visit Marj's brother and wife. It calls for a 3 ferry ride and 25 miles of cycling each way. Impressed by everyone's accomplishments, especially Ribs and Teresa and a belated birthday greeting to Stumpy.
                      Teresa, very Cool of you! You posted a photo at the beginning of the summer, or thereabouts, didn't you? Maybe a new one is in order! Nellie is adorable--Frank, like Tory and Brinkley, had an interesting walk. The squirrels on our morning route are rather cheeky, and somehow seem to know he's on a leash. They will perch on the side of a tree and taunt him. The one today stood for the longest time, still but for his flashing tail, and the two of them stared into each other eyes; it was as if the squirrel was saying "c'mon Bigboy, if you're so fast, show me." Frank finally makes his move and the squirrel is up the tree, leaving Frank gazing heavenwards, thwarted yet again. I love that dog. Big grin Red Sox on TV tonight......at 5, and Running CLub is at 5:30. I may play hookey........ 6 for me at a 8:22 pace at lunch. grins, A ps: I don't think the swimmers really need to wear their suits around their butts. I am really tired of that look. Dead
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Wednesday - Bright and sunny, 86 dehrees and 28 % humidity...now that's what I'm talking about! Cool 6.25 miles - relatively easy (avg pace just about 1:30 over projected race pace Saturday) 47:42 - (7:38) 1 mile - 7:55 - Avg HR 125 Max HR 136 1 mile - 7:51 - Avg HR 135 Max HR 140 1 mile - 7:48 - Avg HR 139 Max HR 145 1 mile - 7:36 - Avg HR 140 Max HR 149 1 mile - 7:21 - Avg HR 144 Max HR 148 1 mile - 7:16 - Avg HR 149 Max HR 155 .25 mile - 1:52 - Avg HR 151 Max HR 155 Tomorrow I'll do a very easy 8 - 10 miles at about 8:30 pace +/- Wink - (Discipline Bob Disciple)!!
                          happy wednesday everyone!! and it is a very happy day here -- turns out what i had was a complex cyst - they were able to aspirate it completely and didn't even need to send the fluid to cytology -- very relieved here!! thanks for all your good thoughts and hugs!! no run today or yesterday - slept all day yesterday since i had to work back to back nights and today by the time i went to sleep was after 1p so it was all i could do to drag myself out of bed after 4 hours of sleep -- will hopefully sleep good tonight and get a good run in tomorrow before heading back up to the campground in Maine!! teresa - great checkup!! you've done amazing!! are you anywhere near Old Orchard Beach in Maine?? great pics today - dave's gd and bnellie!! they gave me the warm fuzzies!! henry and marj - you two are amazing -- nice biking!! have a great trip!! aamos - i love our red sox too but the traffic last night trying to get to work was awful -- i love it when the games start any other time but 7:05!!

denise

Just a comment on the Olympic attire. I think it should go back to the original Olympic uniform: Naked. The Greeks where a very confident group. Big grin Wed. MP run for me tonight. I had a hard time getting going but ended up with 9 miles in 1:19:42 for a overall pace of 8:50ish the splits went like this 9:31, 9:06, 9:06, 8:58, 9:00 and then finally 8:42, 8:36, 8:31 and the last mile in 8:09 not my best but got it done. Theresa, Congrats , we all like to see the results after all the work we do on the health front. You should be so proud. Good and fully clothed runs for everyone, Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

The Jogger

Right, it's thursday here and I'm not long in from work. Didn't have time to post this morning (better check I didn't) Smile Mary love the puppy pic, Dave grandaughter is a real cutie. Twocat ,what a cracking run. Wildchild, isn't it always good to be back from a relaxing break Sad Spareribs, I was thinking of you today on my run, the weather is wet and windy, just think what you are missing :0)Next year will be hot and sunny..... Nice run Sue Anyway: 7 hilly miles, stats on my log. Oh DickyG, the trail shoes I use have just gone past the 700 mark, I must get down to my running shop in Portsmouth (the original Portsmouth) Smile Night All Roy
                              evanflein

Tonight's run was really hard. No other way to describe it. I had lunch at 1, nothing but a snack of trail mix since breakfast. Don't know about the rest of you, but I need to eat every couple of hours.... Had a meeting that ran right up to having to run out to the soccer games (changed into running togs in bathroom first). After soccer, I was late getting off the field due to talking to DS1 and other parents... more on that to come. Headed out right from the soccer fields and got on the bike path for my run home. By mile 5... I knew I was in trouble. I was hungry, thirsty, dead legged and my foot hurt. And my phone was in the car that DS1 drove home. That was stupid. It felt hot at low 70's (can't beat this weather for soccer though! or running, actually... I just wasn't prepared), and dry. So by mile 7 I was taking a 50 second walk break each mile. By mile 9 I was looking forward to a nice stop and walk break where I'd turn off my Garmin for a while. But walking hurts my foot more than running (go figure). So I made it to 10 miles, then took a short cut home, walking about a mile. Told DS1 that me saying it'll take me an hour and a half means if mom's not home in 2 hours... come looking for me!! So, next time he knows. What happened? Well, I sure went out too fast... first few miles were all sub 8:15 with a couple close to 8. I didn't have a snack at 4 or 5... really need to do that. I should've had water with me, and my phone! I think Saturday's PR half marathon, Monday's hilly run, and Tuesday's tempo run all compounded to make this a tough run to begin with, then I went out too fast because it felt flat and easy at first, but then hit some hills and headwind. Oy. Legs really tired tonight, tomorrow if I run at all it'll be at a slow recovery pace. And I may do it on the treadmill just to make sure I stick to that! Oh, soccer... well, tonight DS2's team won when they really needed to. Toughest game tomorrow against in-state rivals (and really good friends) the Sparta. This is the team they'll face in the finals if they manage to maintain their current #2 placing. DS1's team lost 6 to 2... I think his coach has really lost it. Told a couple of players the loss was due to their play. Another player was told he lacked commitment and didn't belong on the team. DS1 waited around to talk to coach, and was told he was the worst player on the team (!!!). He was crushed. Said he didn't want to play anymore, etc. Now he's thought about it, and decided he will show up ready to play. He's committed to his team even if his coach doesn't see it. I'm proud of him. Takes a lot of guts. I hope coach sees that and sends him in. We'll see... two games left.