Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 3/14/09 (Read 397 times)

Cindy - Yes, I did see "Australia," and that one scene where he's "showering" by campfire light. Oh my . . . oh my, oh my, oh my. Big grin Help! I need a good low cal pick-me-up for the afternoon. I tend to tank, and did really bad today. I don't want sugar, 'cause that's short lived (although I did just eat a peppermint patty . . . ) I ate a banana at about 2:30 or so, and have been munching on some organic low cal crackers, Mary's Gone Crackers, but none of it helped. And yes, I've been drinking water. Suggestions?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Friday the 13th to everyone..... Some crazy weather folks are having. Continued great runs for all of you, except Buddy...... Cry Go find that mud Joe! Leslie, I love those Nova series, more realistic than that stupid Biggest Loser show! Midterms are over.........I have some breathing time and actually got to the gym yesterday! Surprised I'm working on a 9 page research paper. My topic: The myths and facts behind training for a marathon. Did you know that every 10lbs. a person loses is like losing 45lbs. of unwanted pressure and exertion on the knees? So someone let's say who is 30lbs. overweight is putting an additional 135lbs. of unwanted pressure on their knees! Yikes......that's it, I need to lose 10lbs. I really do though..... Have a nice day, Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Hi to everyone Smile. Cool research paper topic Jewels! And thanks for the added motivation to lose those 10 lbs. Leslie, how about sugar free yogurt? Has a good combo of protein and carbs + a little calcium. Or a mini bagel w/ peanut butter and a little banana copped up on top. (Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Mini Bagels are awesome and 100 calories each). Or some fruit and low fat or non fat cottage cheese? A favorite snack of mine is frozen mixed berries with sugar free, fat free yogurt and/or cottage cheese. Or an orange and some string cheese. Or...oh dang....this is making me hungry! Thanks for the input on the Healdsburg and Bryce Canyon 1/2's. It's great to hear from Arla and SR who have actually been to one of them. Problem w/ Healdsburg aside from cost is I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do much at the post race wine fest. Have to be careful with blood sugar issues post race or long run, and mixing in alcohol makes that harder to manage. However, hubby and I are off to San Fran in a week, so maybe a day trip. My friend was thinking about renting an RV to take her family on a camping trip this summer, so maybe Bryce canyon would work our for that. Mtnchk, would be great to meet ya there! Haven't run for several days now. Trying to shake this cold and meet some work deadlines. Lovely combination! I think maybe cutting calories right after my 1/2, while good for losing a couple of pounds, may not have been too great for my immune system. I have modified weight watchers a bit this week by adding back enough to not be hungry, so I hope to maintain my weight and get well this week, and then go on the offensive with the weight loss and running/working out again next week. OK, gotta get to work....later friends!
        Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

3.1 miles in double yesterdays temps but at 14 today plenty chilly but no below 0 wc so didn't feel bad at all. I saw lots of pheasants this morning and one spot where a skunk had been that nearly made me throw up. Traffic this morning was limited to one well behaved 18 wheeler grain truck. Tempoish pace at the end cause I jus' wanted to run! Smile Sorry you got my bug Carol, thought I disinfected my keyboard better Wink None the less its really sucky to be sick. Jewels I had read that about how much 10 pounds extra puts on the knees, funny how its always someone 40 L B's over that tells you running is bad for your knees. Joe nice miles again hope The Budster gets in on the action this weekend. Leslie when we had our evening run class last yr I really struggled with what to eat late aft , some of the things that seemed to work were oatmeal, yogurt, string cheese. Breakfast bars were bad for me as I would seem to spike and crash. A little aside as a wheat grower, the chances of getting residual pesticide in crackers or breads from the wheat is almost nil. Thanks for the massage therapy url Cindy. Howdy to Arla, Salty, Ev and any others. Still froze up hard here so no farming yet, just working on equipment.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Happy Friday the 13th!! Carol and FJ - Thanks for the input re snacks. I went and bought that book, Sports Nutrition Guidebook, and gleaned some good info from there, as well. Unfortunately, my cereal and fruit bars that I like so much now cause nausea. Bummer. But I made myself a smoothie and ate a whole wheat bagel w/cc for bfast, and lunch will be a pbj and an apple, w/a banana, some dried fruit, and some Triscuits thrown in for good measure. And hopefully I don't crash as bad as I did yesterday. Also, since yesterday was so bad, and I had very little sleep last night, I didn't w/o, which was probably a mistake. Oh well. I turned off the alarm and slept for another 2 hours. Musta needed it. Also (close your ears, men), it must be very near "that time," 'cause I've been awfully grouchy this week. {sigh} Sometimes I wish menopause would come so I can get this over with. Jewels - Very interesting about the 10 lbs. thing. And I echo what FJ said - and running's bad for our knees? Whateva! BTW - I was griping to The Hub last night about all the stupid reality shows on TV. Even A&E - which stands for Arts & Entertainment - has the stupid shows. The one we saw advertised last night - "Exterminator." Guess they're more into the "entertainment" than art these days. Roll eyes Okay - Have a fantabulous day!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Ok, I'm gonna throw in my 2 bits on the knees thing! W/o getting too technical (I'll leave that to Arla Wink) partly due to being on a blueberry... The approximate gravitational inpact of each footstrike while running is 4 x's the ind. Bodyweight. Now, Individual biomechanics differ as to where & degree of stresses occuring @ impact & how that effects the body. body Gait analyses are done to estimate these areas of stresses & effects - ie: long stride, short stride, over pronation, etc. As relating to knee, hip, ankle, foot injuries, etc. Additionally, in reference to specifically the knees, look up synnovial fluid (knee joint) & how it it benefitted by movement Wink. We truly were buildt to run!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! I quickly skimmed through the week and everyone seems to be doing well. I'm hanging in there-way too busy like usual. I still have ski school on Saturdays, my new job is going really well-I have around 6 steady clients already to personal train, I have an 86 ave in Anatomy & Physiology II and I'm only a couple hundred miles behind Joe ( I peaked). I did my first 20 miler of the year last weekend and I think this will be my first 50 mile week. The hammie is getting better but I'm worried about it getting worse with the miles. I'm not into drooly guys (though I have been there with the root canal) and need to lose 10 pounds also. I have to admit I've been sucked into Facebook so if you want to keep up with me let's be friends there as well. Overall, the kids are well and so is Jack. My first race will probably be a trail race in CT in April and I'm contemplating a 50K in Maine Memorial Day weekend (Pineland Farms). Have a great vacation Leslie! Joe, get Buddy out running; Jewel, good luck with your classes also. We've got crazy weather here too-last weekend was in the 40's, Monday it snowed and it's been cold, today in the 30's and this weekend in the 40's again-spring skiing should be great! Take care! Miss you all! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Hi Forty Folks~ Yes , I remember that Nova show,quite inspiring and timely for me who was at the time thinking of my first marathon. Jewels- interesting topic and I hope you share some of it with us.Knocking on wood about my knees, I have been putting them through a lot lately. Carol- hope you're feeling better soon. Stop in and enjoy some sourdough bread by Pier 39 in SF, and stear clear of that famous chocolate place!! That smoothie sounds good Leslie.I'm sure you'll get the food thing right. Jim- nice runs in bad temps.Good job getting them in that stuff. Cindy- please send some rocks my way! Sure sounds nice. Ev- hope you're recovering well. Aw come on Kelly, let me enjoy being in front a little longer. We all know that you'll be blasting past me as soon as the weather warms up. A malfunctioning water heater inadvertently got Buddy and I out early today.Got off half day at work, t ook care of the water heater quickly (needed a flush) then headed out for a nice slow 10 in the woods. Lotsa deer and Buddy stops which were welcome news to my tired legs. TGIF!!

Top 'O the World!

Hey Kelly! Good to hear from ya! Sounds like things are coming along well in your neck of the woods. 20 miler huh? The hammie must be getting better - still...well, you know! Wink YAY Buddy!! 'Raid's gettin' to go along to the Runnin 'O the Green in the am Smile bet she won't be interested in wearin any shamrocks! Had the most interesting run this morning..well, first off, I haven't been able (schedule conflicts) to run since Tues & getting antsy/crabby..Finally! So, feeling bouncy right @ the beginning but, told myself "still got downtown & a long run to do in the next coupla days, so just go easy." Okay, how far/long?" "Hmmm, prolly 5mi/1hr would be good." K!" Got that done, refilled my water bottle & proceeded to brisk walk for cool down...managed 2 laps & found myself runnin again! Hmmm! "Now what!?" Well, how does it feel? Good. Easy. Fun! Well...zoned in on my playlist (Doug made me a fun one! Wink) for about another hour...+20mins yoga stretch & off to feed my tapeworm Big grin. I have NO self control!! Hope everyone is having an awesome St Patty's wknd!! Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Hey 40s Jewels.....Good luck on the research paper. My son is on his way to sunny Florida with his girlfriend and her parents. They've got a whole weeks worth of acitivities planned. Carol...have fun in San Fran and if you make it out to Bryce Canyon, enjoy that as well. Jim....Nice running in the cold temps. Yes, we have been getting those cold temps also...but not as cold as you. We've got a warming trend started today, however. Upper 50s today, 60s tomorrow, and 70s all next week. Smile That's what I'm talkin' bout right there, I tell you what. fatozzig....I hope you are getting some rest. hey mtnchk....nice to hear from you and sounds like you know some stuff about the knees and such. Thanks for sharing. And sounds like you had a great run this morning. Ultra.....nice long 20 miler......I'm not into drooly guys either. Joe....yep, recovering nicely I believe. Will bump the mileage up a bit next week. Hey Arla. Mrsday and I watched the NOVA marathon thing. I found it very interesting. 6 easy miles for me this afternoon. Great weather right now in OK. Later my friends.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Happy Saturday Evenin', Folks - Kelly!!!! Good to hear from you again! And very glad your job is going well. What're your plans for the upcoming running season? My first trail run is in May, a 30k down in Oakland in the Redwood Forest (yeah, who would ever have put "Oakland" and "Redwood Forest" together. Cindy - Sounds like you had a really great run - and after run. Big grin Joe - Glad you and Buddy had a nice deer-filled run. I'm sure he was one happy puppy. Ev - Glad you guys like the NOVA program. I missed the first half hour, so I'd like to go back and see how it all got started. Intended to do 5 miles today, and if things felt good, go on and do 7. Ends up, the trails I chose were longer than I thought and ended up having to do 7.68 if I wanted to get out. My legs are tired, but it sure felt good. Had trouble keeping my HR at 160 or below, so had to walk a lot of the uphills. Ran into (no pun intended) a guy we know, and he said a group of people are working on putting together a trail run in the Arcata Forest in September. An honest to goodness trail running event here in Humboldt County! Told him Karen and I were crewing for her sister at the 100 in the Hood, and he said he'd try and make it so that they weren't the same weekend. This weekend is my first weekend to have back-to-back trail runs. Tomorrow it's 5. We'll see how it goes.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Seeing if this works: It worked! I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but this was the first 4.68 miles of my run today. And I don't know why when I go to my log page, parts of my runs say "default." (????)

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Morning...... Leslie, looks just like an EKG! Way to go on your run and hope your getting in that Sunday run as well. Nice hearing from you Kelly.......way to go on your 20 miler. Carol, hope your starting to shake that cold and it doesn't stick around too long. Cindy, always nice hearing from you and great runs you've been getting in when you can of course. Jim, nice tempoish pace 3.1 miler you had there. Great to hear that it just felt good! Joe, I bet Buddy loved that woodsy 10 miler you got in there. Ev, your weather does sound very nice! Nice 6 miler in ideal conditions. Hope your son enjoys his Florida trip. Today and tomorrow should hover right around 80*. Got a short run in this morning myself...... Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee