Masters Running

Monday Jan. 21 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 690 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! PDR – only 3 days off work in 6 weeks? I would be going bonkers. No run for me today – x-training instead: weighted squats, dead lifts, seated bent-over raises, superman lifts, front raises, weighted duck squats, lateral raises, and a 14-minute ab/core workout video. Any of you who actually have today as a holiday – enjoy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly Great X-training. It's my day off today after yesterday's taxing workout. So tonight once I get back from work, I will do some light weights and core. Looking forward to picking up my girls tonight and giving them big hugs. It's hard not seeing them for a week!!!! Have a great day Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Morning folks, 4 frosty miles in 37:05 at 6:30 AM/5F and calm wind so wind chill wasn't too brutal at 0F. Gorgeous full moon giving way to lightening skies and a sunny day here. I thought I could hear howling in the background as I trotted along. Off to a MLK prayer breakfast with my grandmother. Today is a day of contemplation for me. Good runs and workouts to all. CNYrunner

Hill Runner

Good morning, The coldest morning of season here so far...15F with wind chill of 9F. 10 miles of hills @ 9.24 pace. I felt pretty comfortable except for my face. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning Holly and Tall, and everyone that posts today Smile Well, yesterday was officially the coldest temps I have ever ran in. 0 degrees with 25 to 35 below 0 wind chills. Sat I ran 11 miles in 1:36, so yesterday I kept in shorter, 5.3 miles 49:46. I really questioned the beginning of yesterdays run when I first started because my hands and feet got cold before I ran an 1/2 mile running into the wind. Once I had made my turn around point I was nice and warm...well at least comfortable. Good weekend runs for me and plan on about a 8 mile run tonight with 1/2 being tempo work. Hope all have a great Monday!!!!! Tim Oh yeah, the vasoline on my checks and nose really did the trick yesterday, but very difficult to remove in the shower Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

So impressive to see everyone running in the artic blast. Good Job!! Scheduled rest day for me. Now it looks like I might not make it to the Spirit of the Marathon movie. My neighbor "forgot to ask for the night off" and I won't drive that far by myself at night, in the snow and cold. I've asked my sister-in-law via e-mail this morning but she is not a runner - so we'll see what she says. Happy Monday! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Can't complain about the cold after watching that Packers/Giants game last night... brrr. And did ya see the "Bikini Girls" ..brrrr Cold 14F here in NC but bundled so it was ok. Short, get blood flowing, 2 Magical Healing Miles with (for) Tory. FR: Running pants, tights, cotton tee, LS tech tee, MCM Jacket, hat, glove liners, gloves. Very smooth run even if short. Have great runs/rests/X-training Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Treadmill today, at the Workout Center,for 3.5 mile warm-up so I can get to the squats while the legs are still warm. Sometimes I run 1.5 miles to the gym but 6F and I don't want to deal with the extra layers when I get to there. Holiday off for me, enjoyed my coffee so now I'm off to the gym then back for a fun day of basement painting . Roll eyes Have a Great day everyone! Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Watching the Green Bay game last night, my DW and I remarked that there are probably a lot of people around the country (maybe here on the forum, too) who really have no idea just what sub-zero temperatures and wind chill actually feel like. Just like I have no real idea what it feels like in Phoenix in the summer. A day off today, but it may be more like a couple of weeks. My "denial" technique for dealing with injuries isn't working this time, and I have to admit that I really did hurt something in that run on Dec. 31. After yesterday's morning run I was limping every time I stood up the rest of the day, and it's not feeling so great this morning, either. Oh well, at least it's the right time of year if I have to take some time off. Better luck to everyone else today and always!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning Boomers. I was one of those "crazed Packer fans" freezing at the game last night. Nearly 4 hours in -4F with wind chills near 25 below. It's a lot easier to sit in weather like that when your team wins, believe me. Stayed relatively warm, but felt like Ralphie's little brother in "The Christmas Story" because I had so many clothes on. Alas, the Frozen Tundra was not a happy place last night. The Giants really played well. Still below zero this morning (with 4-7 inches of snow predicted for today - could winter get much better?) so opted for 5 miles on the treadmill this morning. Got home late, got up early, no sproink today. No sproink, no win, sigh...life goes on.
                        Good morning Boomers. I was one of those "crazed Packer fans" freezing at the game last night. Nearly 4 hours in -4F with wind chills near 25 below. It's a lot easier to sit in weather like that when your team wins, believe me. Stayed relatively warm, but felt like Ralphie's little brother in "The Christmas Story" because I had so many clothes on. Alas, the Frozen Tundra was not a happy place last night. The Giants really played well. Still below zero this morning (with 4-7 inches of snow predicted for today - could winter get much better?) so opted for 5 miles on the treadmill this morning. Got home late, got up early, no sproink today. No sproink, no win, sigh...life goes on.
                        OK, jlynne, now I'm really impressed. My dh is a Packers fan, so we had the game on. I could not get over those fans!! So sorry about the outcome. Sad Still, the Ice Bowl holds the record, -13 I think. And in those days they played without the high-tech warming methods the players have now. Did you know that you can watch this game on dvd? We got it from Netflix. I'm not a football fan, but am impressed with this in the same way as I am with Shackleton's experience in Antarctica, as retold in the book Endurance. (PS to sports fans, you can find some great stuff on Netflix. We have watched game 6 of the '75 World Series, and Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game. That was the best.)
                        SteveP

(PS to sports fans, you can find some great stuff on Netflix. We have watched game 6 of the '75 World Series, and Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game. That was the best.)
                          But can you get "Bambi Meets Godzilla" on Netflix????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUBVS4kfQ Now that's class. No runs today but I keep on keepin on. You guys and gals are the best.

SteveP

There have sure been a lot of cold runs the last few days. I'm ready for spring even though it isn't ready to arrive yet. running, nice half. I suppose it's too late to wish mariposai a safe and fun trip, but maybe she'll read this after she gets to South America. CNY, I'm glad to hear you got your luggage back. roch, I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering the effects of that December race. Take care of yourself and don't make it worse. Nice long runs for jules, charley, jjj, WRFB, Tramps, Tall (and extremely cold weather), deez, breger (a speedy training run), enkephalin, pfriese, CNY, Peter (with hills), and biketm. This morning, it was about 10 and I probably should have gone outside but talked myself out of it and did the TM. It seemed a little harder than usual but I did my 8 miles at 1% and 6.7 mph (8:57 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                              jlynne........KEEP THAT TICKET. Put it in a safe place and years from now it will be worth something. That game was a classic and will go noted as such for a variety of reasons.....1) It went into overtime...2) the temperature.....3) the first post season win of Eli Manning.....4) possibly the last game of Favre. Sorry that the Packers lost, but it definitely was a great game. Like Roch said, many people would have no idea about being in temperatures like that. It seems that some of the most memorable football games have been those associated with severe weather conditions. Spring is coming........keep running until it comes.
                              Vista
                                Started out for 8 but never got in the groove so I ended up doing 5.5 . 9 degrees this morning but no wind so a very comfy slow recovery run I guess. This is supposed to be a back week anyway . Why do I feel guilty? good runs to everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down