Masters Running

Sunday May 4 Daily - a.k.a. Marathon Meet-ups (Read 46 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Fun day of racing in the Pig for Twocat and Holly . congrats!

It sure is blustery here today.

I've been working on a self imposed challenge of 13 x 13.1. That is a 13.1 mile run everyday for 13 days.

For today's 9th in a row I ran the inaugural Novi half marathon.

Never again! It had 4 miles on badly potted dirt roads where we were lucky to make it without ankle or knee injuries! I wanted to run in the 1:5X's but those roads limited it to 2:00:06. I'll take that as it culminates a 94 mile week PR!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mike E

MM #5615

That's awesome, perch.

I went 7 miles in 57:09.

Has anybody heard from any of the Ave of the Giants people?  They're probably having a good ol' time out there...while we all wait...and wonder...and worry...

Looking forward to hearing back from our racers!

Today was a solo run - it was a blissful treat. As much as I love running with LW, he can be a bit distracting at times.

That Perch has dedication!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, some days you race, and other days you visit every port-o-pottie on the course......new record - 6 stops.    I don't know what I ate yesterday to give me all that digestive disturbance, but there it is.

However, in spite of that, the Flying Pig is a fun race to run.  The route is scenic, the crowd support amazing, and the expo is huge and interesting.  The only thing I found annoying is how crowded it was.  This was my own fault: after checking my bag and using the port-o-potties at the start, we (my friends Renee, Tara, and Stephanie) found ourselves in the very back, in Corral G.  This meant when the race started we did not get moving for more than 20 minutes, and when we did I spent all my time weaving my way around and between literally thousands of walkers and very slow (even slower than me!) runners.  The field really didn't open up until somewhere after 7 miles or so, when the HMers separated from the marathoners.

Given all that and my sluggish training cycle over the winter, I am not really unhappy with the 4:40:27 I ended up with.  Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.  However, the good news is that the foot/ankle pain that has been plaguing me was not an issue at all today.

Afterward I located the girls and we walked across the bridge to Kentucky and had lunch at a big German restaurant called Hofbrau Haus.  Twocat and Mrs. Twocat met us there and we were able to visit for a couple hours while we ate and even got up with the restaurant to do the Chicken Dance (a tradition at this place). 

Being able to share a race with friends really makes it memorable.  And I have to say, the best part of the weekend was meeting Twocat and Mrs. Twocat.  RA meet-ups are the best! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

hitfdghjk (Claire will know what that means)

Mariposai BQ'd!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BeeRunB

Walked a few hours around Midtown Atlanta, just beautiful, and lots of hills! Touched the fence surrounding Margaret Mitchell's house and tried to absorb some creative energy from her spirit. I don't think it worked. Instead of a great story and rich characters, all I can think about are fences.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mariposai BQ'd!

wow, does that mean 4:00 or 3:45?

how about sea-level child and lightweight mikemp?

Touched the fence surrounding Margaret Mitchell's house and tried to absorb some creative energy from her spirit. I don't think it worked. Instead of a great story and rich characters, all I can think about are fences.

try holding hands with a goddess

doesn't matter if it works or not.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, I got a PR, in 4:20:18 (about a 6.5 minute PR!) and was 4th in my AG.  The beautiful scenery and great friends were compensation for running on pavement for 26.2!  I'll post pictures over at the Avenue thread.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

YAY mari and wildchild//....

....and good PR on Port-O-Potties to holly, not sure if there's a Presantation Ceremony for that

possibly

sponsored by Charmin.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Yes, mariposai BQed! Phenomenal! What is missing from the news is that it was almost accidental! She is/was targeting another marathon to go all out on. Great job! Maybe that is the ticket train for a later race and then surprise yourself with a great run at a marathon a few weeks earlier! Smile

Holly S. is also not reporting all the news! Pre race she figured on finishing in about 5 hours. So she beat her projected finish by 20 minutes! Wow! Congratulations on a great race!

Holly S. is not only a great athlete but also a wonderful host. She was nice enough to invite me and my DW to meet her and her friends post race for lunch. She has a very sweet group of friends and my DW I were honored to be able to spend some time with them. The chicken dance however... well I guess it is an acquired taste. But everyone was having a blast when it was on! Pretty impressive set of clucking by the diners throughout a really big restaurant! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Hi Claire. I get called Avenger Doggie a lot. My for real name is Tag. Do you have other names?

I really like to go run run run. I practice as much as I can.  Going run run run in the woods is fun. I get to chase lots of critters and make them go run run run so they can have fun too. I chase chipmunks, squirrels and, sometimes, bunnies. When I get to chase birds, they go run run run up in the air. They are cheaters. When I try to make deers go run run run, my dad gets all scared and screams like a little scaredy baby. I have to come back and keep him safe. He gets all cry baby scared when I want to make skunks go run run run too. I chased a porkypine one time and it was really mean to me and I got owies. Now I just get my dad and yell at them to run run run. They go very slow and need to practice a lot. Is there things you like to do and you practice so you can be better at it?

Sometimes I pretend too. Ducks go run run run on top of the water and then they go run run run in the air. I like to pretend I'm a duck.

Beefers get to chew on big big sticks and sometimes I pretend I'm a beefer and brings sticks home to my mom and dad.

Sometimes I pretend I'm a pig and my mom gets all excited and I have to have a bath.

Do you like to pretend Claire?

The thing I like to do best is race!!! There are always lots of people and kids and other dogs around and we all have fun fun fun. When we race, I get very excited and start to yell "let's go go! GO!". Mom and dad take me far away until the person starting the race quits talking so much. When it's ON YOUR MARK! GET SET! GO!, I go! If my dad was not so slow, I could fly.

When we get done going run run run, I get ice cream a lot of the times. Dad will only let me have banilla. I do like it a lot. I really want to try chokit ice cream, but Mom and Dad say it's not good for me. I think it really taste like bunnies and they get to have it all. Lots of dogs like ice cream. Do you like ice cream too? What's your best flavor?

Any way, it's nice that you like me. My dad is old and he makes me go to bed when it's early. I hope you have a good night. Your furry friend, Tag.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Hi Tag, I am glad you got to run, run, run! I like the last picture best. It looks like you and your buddy are both tired out!

MikeE, did you skip church this morning to follow the Flying Pig? Just wondering. We led music at our church today, I really enjoy playing on the praise team, even more so when I get to pick the songs. My flash drive didn't work in the computer but I always send the file to my email too So that was a good thing.

i saw Carolyn's pictures on FB and they sure look great. Holly had some photos of Cincinati. She is right, the meet ups are the best. Good racing everyone, especially Posai's BQ and Carolyn's PR.

Ten miles was the plan today. I left at noon in 41 degrees with 16mph wind which got increasingly stronger. I was tempted to just run to the nearest town with the wind and call MrStarr for a ride home but wasn't sure if he'd do that. He already met me at mile 4 with a water bottle. I averaged 13:30 miles and felt good the whole time With Avg HR of 140.  I lost 3 pounds this week, at least 23 to go. I got back in time to get cleaned up for a lovely concert at 3pm this afternoon, a brass quinter, string quartet and a pianist/organist. I confess that I took my Garmin along and jotted down my times in my log book during intermission.

Has anyone heard from Aamos? I guess she will get a PR today too!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Nope, I did not miss church.  Most of the race was during choir practice, so I kept sneaking onto my phone.  Nice run, today, by the way, Starr.

Hey...has anybody heard from Ribs?

Yeah, I was wondering about Amy, too.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yeah, I was wondering about Amy, too.

I'm a little worried too. I hope she's okay

those extra 5-miles are sometimes like 50 when you're only used to running 26.2

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

What a fun RA Family gathering. I ran 26.2 miles enjoying the Redwood forest Today and the giants gifted me with a BQ. 4th place out of 22 in my AG.

The Easy Pacer took 3 inhis AG!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard