Masters Running

Tuesday, 9.13.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

On the rush again this morning - I have to pick someone up and then we've got a 45-min. drive to a 3-hr. meeting.

7.75 RW miles this morning in delicious 54F temps with nice dry air and a slight westerly breeze. I saw 2 cars, 2 runners, and heard a couple of owls and some overpassing geese along the way. Nice way to start the day.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay.......

just saw where erika put in 1-hour+ on PoolRunning Sunday,,,,,,Totally Amazing

will mail her

a bucket of paint so she can Watch It Dry on her RestDays.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Started the day with a few hills to boost my confidence for RTB

Nice conditions Jay!!!

Lovely gift idea tomwhite

Happy Trails

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

will mail her

4.5 miles running today with NO WALK BREAKS!  While there are lots of creaks from yesterday's overly-intense squats and dead lifts, my knee barely uttered a peep.  Could I be off the DL?

What is bizarre to me is that this pain has been fairly severe for more than two months, and 4 caster-oil pack treatments in 5 days seems to have almost completely resolved the issue.  Or maybe it was the heating pad.  But still.

Tonight is the super-Kroger's monthly 6-course dinner and wine pairing event.  I will try to eat less this time (last month I ate so much I could barely breathe) but it is hard when it is so good, and the series of small portions doesn't seem like too much until you realize you have over-eaten....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Sayhey Jay, do you and your riding companion sing real loud in the car on the way to and/or from the meeting?  Something to get your shpilkes out so you behave in the meeting?    (A tactic employed by my mom .)

Yup, definitely feeling fall in the ams.  It's darker and I'm less drippy, you know, the shorts drip, but they're not always totally soaked.  Of course, that could be just because I'm slower these days.  Trying to stay off the injured list is all......and it gets longer to run a 10K in my age in minutes as the years go by, which is a good thing.

Very fun Monday Night Party (MNP) last night.   We had Salmon.  The Sox had Orioles.

Got a fun card from my college roomie: "Years from now, I hope we're a couple of old broads who go to lunch together and fight over the bill and steal all the sugar packets."    Love her.  (Rosie, RS and the parents to be met her in April.)

Here's a haiku question I found for today, no author attributed:

Spiral squash tendrils
            Entwined with morning glories
            Which vine climbs which vine?

Maybe Steve knows, having been in the squash garden recently.

grins,

A

p.s.--psst, Holly, take a large satchel and stash some goodies; I'll help you eat 'em on Friday!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five sunny muting
              miles this morning stopping to
              pick yellow apples.
              58o

4.5 miles running today with NO WALK BREAKS!

Good job Holly

However, maybe restrain the running part for a little while

longer until you're sure there's gunna be no repercussions.

<<<(10/9-10/9)>>> Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

New skirt in town

Phew! RA is back online...I gave up yesterday after trying so many times!  I don't post as often as I actually visit you all, so you may not be aware that I check in almost every day. So glad to see it's all back in one piece!

No run today. I was out way too late last night...I gave one of several talks at the Boston Marathon RunBase last night as part of the opening of registration festivities.  I answered a lot of questions and introduced Bill Rodgers, which was fun.  I skedaddled from that event over to a concert my sister and I had bought tickets to a few months ago, and we spent the rest of the evening enjoying the Specials.

This morning, I decided that sleeping would be more important than my planned run. It's the first run on my training program this cycle that I've missed, so I'm not going to fret too much about it!  I'm not used to going out on a school night...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

..Nice Work-Out holly//..............Easy Does It.........

===========

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf,ris,paw

....................good running to the rest of ya

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

will mail her

And maybe some grass for the SRD?

I guess i have an excuse for not saying anything yesterday.  Or not.  But I did do a 3 and a 5 miler over the weeknd--before early departure Monday morning for tw fun filled days in CT.  We have to demo the old plant before we put in the new one, and it's truly wonderous how convoluted the wiring in a 40 YO plant can get.  I didn't even get to wield the sawzall to carve out conduits.  Home shortly to gather stuff for a visit to NJ, also very early, tomorrow.  i'm getting lots of miles--just no free time to use them

Yup, fall seems to be creeping in.  But summer is still around enough that I didn't get distracted from the important game by football.

Glad the knee is getting back to normal, Holly.

Careful of the sleeping in, Robin.  It's a slippery slope that I've slid down too many times.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I haven't posted in awhile so will try to catch up.  Tammy, I hope the coaching is going well.  steve, belated birthday for your grandson.  Jay, nice 5 mile race.  DrRobin, good racing for your son and neat to have a CNY sighting.  Monday, you're off to a good start on the C25K.  enke, nice half.

Nice long runs for Twocat, Bertha, Holly, DrRobin, and enke.

Yesterday was our weekly grandson sitting day.  A highlight was taking the 3 year old to his gymnastics class.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Yay  Holly......cautiously optimistic here...

4 miles for me, slow as dirt, but no tweaks or complaints from any body parts.  I'll take it.

The cool air overnight sure is nice for sleeping.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly,

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Amy,

the Tigers thank the Soxs.

5.79 nice miles today after a long day my box of chocolates gave me a  overall 9 minute pace with the middle two around 8 so kinda sproinky for me.

Ok so I gotta ask. Why pool run instead of just swim? Is it to simulate the running motion for specific muscle development? It would seem that swimming would fire all the same muscles anyway. I'm just curious as I notice a lot of you using that as a no impact alternative when injured.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

will mail her

That's about what my DH has to say about it... yes, it can be mind-numbingly dull, but I can usually entertain myself with my own thoughts for awhile at least.

Larry, to answer your question, yes that's exactly it. It helps keep your running muscles in shape with zero impact so in that sense, it's better than swimming. Also, I'm a capable swimmer but my form isn't good so not sure I'd get a lot of benefit out of laps. AND I can do the pool running thing mid-day and not have to completely redo hair and makeup to go back to work. I know that's something you guys don't need to worry about, but it's a major factor in when I do what as far as workouts go!

Holly good news on the run! I'm on the side of thinking the combination of time and the heat probably did the trick, but if you think the castor oil worked then go for it. Another vote for taking re-entry easy. I think overdoing it is what got me in trouble.

Speaking of which... 32 minutes on the elliptical this afternoon and a half mile walk cool down with  some gentle running bits. The good news: no pain! The bad news, I don't think I'd be able to keep it up for long and stay that way. So, it was just a test, and felt ok so that's progress. A week ago, I couldn't walk without pain. Still undecided about Equinox, will decide the morning of. I foresee starting it to see how I do, and dropping out if need be. Although I tell ya, if the weather continues as crappy as the last two days have been, I might have a perfect excuse to bail and stay warm and dry!

SteveP

Jay, owls look kind of cuddly. That would probably be a bad idea though.

Holly, I'm glad you're back on your feet.

Tet, I've had my fair share of picking apples while on the run. Recently, there was one with a translucent skin. It was extremely crisp and mildly sweet. I really had to work to get it. Last Sunday, DW and I went back and there and the tree was fruitless.

I had to brain and brawn at work. Applied crossfit with brain teasers. I had people helping out towards the end of the day. A former coworker started as my part time assistant. He can't start until 3:30 ish. He knew what needed to be done and did it. Still didn't get started on paperwork until 6:30. The cleaning person asked how I was doing. I asked, "What's green and crawls out of your belly button?". She said, "I don't know.". I replied, "Neither does my Dr.....That's how I'm doing.".

SteveP

...erika//..............yes, PoolRunning IS mindnumbing

which is why

God Invented The Running Mantra.......

so,

you can Stay Fit and Become EnLightened at the same time

kind of

a Karmic TooFer