Masters Running

Tuesday, January 12 Daily Runs and Such (Read 498 times)

Manchild

Enkephalin,  Born To Run is a must read!

Well, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill sans shoes and felt great.  Very fleet of foot!  2nd effort and I intend to continue once a week until warmer climes!

Chris

Because the shaker was north-south, we didn't end up losing a lot.  If it had been east-west, our kitchen cupboards would've emptied.  Surprisingly, it sounds like the worse damage was at our mall, with floor tiles uprooted and ceiling tiles falling.  They opened a Kohl's in November - the sprinkler system went off.  Reeeeaaal bummer.

Enke - Whew!  Glad you passed lung-compromised man!

Holly - Enjoy your night off.  You deserve it.

Did my usual 30 min cycling, but upped the TRX to about 40 minutes, adding a couple of exercises to my list.  One of them has me on my elbows, feet in the straps, flat like planks.  Only you "saw" back and forth slightly, forcing your core to work harder on stabilizing.  Whew!  Good workout all the way around.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch....be careful, my friend had that surgery about two months ago and is still in pain.  They may go in there again.  Meniscus right?  Or do you have something else?

Enke..Not meniscus.. that's fine. It's articular cartilage on the patella and femur front so not in a weight bearing region and nothing vascular.  That should make recovery much faster.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I am so behind!!      

And I'm behind dg!

My cold/sore throat is gone and I am enjoying the absence of pain.  Ran a slow 6.2 today......is 52 degrees .

Say, and I featured Erika and how we coined "Erika Up" to inspire us in cold weather in my column.  Getting lots of positive feedback, too.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
          evanflein

Cool, Aamos! Send me a link!

Nice to see Enke back and posting regularly. Way to catch the smoker-dude!

Charleygross has me wanting to do a barefoot amble on my treadmill. But first I gotta get running at all...

So glad Dg got her foot pod back, even though I'm not really sure what that thing is or how it works. 

34 minutes on the ellipti-hell at lunch, good for 4 miles on the dot. Then a 5 minute cool down on the treadmill. I saw my friend Terry show up as I was leaving. He's running the Austin Marathon on Valentine's Day. Then going to Cancun for a week to recover. Get this... round trip airfare from Austin to Cancun only $170!! We can't even go to Anchorage and back for that!! And at -36° currently, a week in Cancun sounds pretty nice.

I have some catching up to do.  This is my first post since Saturday.  A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that my 95 year old father in law was in the hospital with pneumonia compicated by bowel issues.  The pneumonia never let up and he started going seriously down hill a couple of days ago.  He passed away yesterday afternoon, quietly, apparently not in pain, and with a number of family members with him.  The family is obviously sad but also feels that it was his time.

I'll see if I got the high lights from the last few days.  cincyrunnr, nice trail race.  Franc, happy belated birthday to your husband.  Sue congrats on your Goofy medal earned in the cold.  Ditto for jlynne in the Disney half.  enke, it sounds like you are doing your come back just right, slow but sure.  fatozzig, those are quite the earthquake pictures.  I'm glad there was no serious damage.  WoodsLady, congrats on your 5K PR.  eliz, happy birthday.  In reference to "Born to Run", I got the book for Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I am probably awfully dense but I could not determine if the story was factual, complete fiction, or fiction loosely based on some facts.  Perhaps someone can help me out.

Nice long runs for perch, dg, BC, Tramps, Walt, holly, CNY, PDR, PBJ, and fatozzig (a couple, one on trails).  Good job on the speedwork for breger, and BC.

This morning, my wife had an appointment 50 miles away and it was too early to run first.  However, there is a community center near her appointment that is open to the public and free.  They have a nice track with 9.5 laps per mile.  I think I did 8 miles (that's a lot of laps to keep track of) in a little over 1:20 for a 10:05 pace.  There were only a few runners and a lot of walkers to navigate around but it wasn't too bad.  I ran the last mile with a guy I saw at a lot of races a few years back but haven't seen for several years.  We got some good visiting that mile.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

((((Tselbs and family)))))

I am glad your father-in-law's passing was peaceful and quiet and that he was surrounded by family. 

Even amidst all this you never fail to recognize others. 

Thank you for your gracious and ever supportive spirit.

TomS - my sincere condolences to you and your wife.   Hugs.

Yeah Twocat - great news!  Congratulations!  Glad to hear DW has to committed to a half marathon as well!

Perch - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Amy - glad the cold/sore throat have departed!

Mary and anyone contemplating the Disney races - don't let the recent race experiences dissuade you from considering Disney in the future.  The weather was an anomaly.  Granted, the entry fees are steep, but the races are usually run relatively flawlessly if the weather cooperates.  DH and I are already signed up for the Goofy again next year.  Sarge - this isn't a point-to-point race.  The buses shuttle runners from the resorts to the start/finish line and back to the resorts.  

No surprise - my cold has worsened following the marathon/weather stress, but I'm still having a blast.  The local temps will go back to normal as soon as we board the plane to return to the frozen tundra on Thursday.  

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tom - My thoughts with you and your family  during this time.  It's a blessing that  your father-in-law was able to go peacefully with family by his side.  CNY said it best.  Even in times of trial, you are always gracious and supportive.  Thank you.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Enke:

You will love born to run.  After the first Turamahara (SP?) ultra I was at a presentation by Scott Jurek at the Seattle running company (I was there along with Tet and Sounder)  It was a cool insight into the race. 

A couple of years later,  a couple of days after finishing the book I found out that Cabala Blanca would be giving a presentation at the same store.  I asked for a day off from work so I could attend.  I explained that this was a presentation by a guy who lived amongst Indians.  The Indians lived in caves and ate mice. they thought he was strange.   Fascinating presentation,  he was more normal then I expected, and it made me consider heading down to the copper canyons for the next event.  He has held a race every year,  the first year,  as I recall something like 18 indians showed up.  Last year  (the third year?) there were 300 including the first women.  He says they are not a running cultural anymore.  they are too improvised.  but last year,  each finisher got something like 500 pounds of corn.  winners got big money.

Dave

I reserved Born to Run from the library.

SteveP

Heart felt sympathy goes out to your family TomS.

SteveP