Masters Running

Sunday.....Living to Tell the Tale (Read 436 times)

...22min bike ride

=======

after last week's Debacle with the BorrowedBike

and wearing a BackBrace all week,

you could say I was slightly Apprehensive this morning

nonetheless,

I suited up,

fore and aft FlashingLights

(and hoping

no Epileptics would drive up behind me)

Yellow DayGloVest

filp out SideMirror

basically

everything except an AirHorn and a WeatherBalloon

at 11min the CountDownTimer I had cleverly tied to the back of my helmet went off to remind me NOT TO OVER-DO IT

and

I turned around and headed home,

except

for not actually having the Bike in Gear while I learned how to shift, it went well

TheBack didn't hurt

TheLeg is tired (which was the idea)

and

I think I've found my CrossTraining til Spring when I will try to return to Running

.........................good running guys

.............................ps............ohboyohboy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good one, TW.  Ran about 8 miles yesterday on the OU XC course before the football game.  Had to take an ibu during the game but otherwise had fun.  This morning I'm tired even after a good night's sleep but no headache so no ibu yet.  I feel cranky.

Holly, great race.  You would kick my butt!  I like the 15k distance.  Lyndenrunner, good comeback!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good riding Tom. 

how's the saddle, seat, etc.?

Let tribill do the over-do'ing.

I hope OM and MT and everyone else running today have as good good times as did yesterday's runners

And the racing continues! Good luck and fleet feet to all racers - have fun!

************This week and weekend*******************

11/10 lyndenrunner- Turkey Trot 5K Lynden WA

11/10 tetsujin209 - First Call Veteran's Day Marathon - Bothel, WA (barefoot)

11/10 Holly S - Spud Run 15K, Spring Valley, OH

11/11 MilkTruck - Seacoast Half Marathon, Portsmouth, NH

11/11 OrangeMat - Harrisburg Marathon, Harrisburg, PA

ps - Harrisburg trivia:  which state capital used to be Harrisburg too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - good news!

Opie - hope that headache stuff turns out to be something very minor and easily remedied.

Go Orange Mat and Mile Truck!!

4.8 recovery miles in a lovely 53 degrees.

Off to run errands with the family.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Nice Tom.

Congrats on great race yesterday Holly!

Out for a nice easy 8.4 miles this am. All easy with a few tempo miles planned for the rest of the week. Look out Nashville...

Oh, interesting weather for us today. it's 60 right now. A front is moving thru and there is snow on the other side. In 4 hours we will drop 30 degs.

One question before I go. Has Eric incorporated a spell check or is it my newly installed Google chrome putting the squiggly lines under my misspellings?

C-R

Good to hear TW and Opie.

Nice race Holy. Those 15k's are lung burners and leg achers.

lynnden - 25 lbs is awesome.

Good luck racers!

Ran a slow 13.1 today after a hard 5k XC race yesterday. Finally starting to get a rhythm. Now off to clean the garage.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

First a salute to all you veterans. I did not serve, so my hat is off to all of you who did.  Two brothers in Marines and Army, my two BIL's were West Pointers and served in the Air Force.

Nice going Holly.  That distance suits you.

Very tough 13-mile wave run this morning.  My MP is 9 and HMP is 8:30, so I did 2 @ MP and 2 at HMP:  9:01, 8:53, 8:22, 8:10, 8:06.  Glad that's done.  Spareribs

Good going, TW! Next thing you know you'll be booking a trip to the Alps to ride along with the Tour.

Ran my 10K this morning in summer racing gear, although the stiff breeze was a bit cool. This was the annual "Big Bird 10K" in Roseville, which is in a part of the metro area that's pretty unfamiliar to me (it's a BIG metro area!). As advertised, the course was flat and fast, except for where we had to take a pedestrian walkway over wide, busy I-696. It was narrow and crowded, and with one of those corkscrew ramps leading up to it that gave my knee a couple of twinges.

The weirdest part was when I was a bit over halfway across, my legs started feeling rubbery and I felt like my sense of balance was off. I started to get a bit alarmed when I realized that it was the bridge that was flexing with all the people running on it. Once on the other side, all was back to normal. But at least that was the only "hill" on the course (had to cross it again later on).

Anyway, my time was about 54:30, which would be an over-60 PR at least, and not that far off my all-time PR in 2007, a year when I PR'd at 4 different distances. I couldn't stay around to get the placings so will have to look it up later.

ETA: 54:48, 8:50 pace, 5th of 11 AG.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Maniac 505

Nice Tom

I guess I got home in time for the end of summer.  3 miles on the trails Erika was recently visiting.

While waiting at the airport last night I twice typed a reply to Erika RE: the paths she was running in Seattle,  Twice my cell phone ate the reply Angry

Here goes again.

Erika, If instead of turning left at the chain link fence.  If You had run straight ahead At the top of the hill You would have been in Magnolia on mostly quiet residential streets with sidewalks.  If you stay on the main road, you will end up in discovery park in a couple miles.  If you follow the signs to the Ballard locks, You would find yourself in a park like setting with the ship locks in the middle of it.  after exiting the locks on the Ballard side, You can turn left on the pike/pedestrian trail leading to golden gardens park a couple miles away.  (from the start of Myrtal Edwards park to golden gardens and back is about 15 miles).  Or at the locks you can turn right and run the Ballard sidewalk to the start of the Burke-Gilman trail. 

Dave

evanflein

Ah, thanks, Dave. I'll have to remember that for next time. I was about ready to turn around anyway when I came to the Magnolia turnoff, so that one will have to wait for another day. Good to know, though.

Gordon, I meant to comment earlier on your progress since you've returned to running: simply awesome! Keep at it, fren.

Nice race, Doug! Nothing like a little dip and sway to add some interest to the race, no? 

^5 to tomwhite on finding his new XT plan! Nice bike ride, and you can just add a little each day. I think the bike will be easier to increase than running, and good to hear things went well.

Waiting for OM news....

Got home last night and there's snow everywhere! Well, there was snow when I left too, of course, but more now! It had been really cold last week, glad I missed it, but warmed up a little now. Currently around 8° though, and with all the new snow I'll probably do some miles on the treadmill today. No need to rush into this winter running stuff, right Cindy??

It's good to hear from Tall.  Good job on another marathon, tet.  Tomw, I'm glad your bike ride went well.  Roch, nice 10K with 60+ PR.

Nice long runs for C-R and ribs.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was some wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 9:34 pace.  While checking my weekly total in my log, I see that I went over 1000 miles for the year this week.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Just a quick note here while I am waiting for PosieSon2 to come up so we can go to dinner and then to see SKyfall. He already watched it once, but invited me to go and see it again for a mom-son outing (smiling big here, of course).

Today I dared to take a little adventure and I drove to the trail-head of a nice hiking place and ran my first solo trail/mountain run. I feel so grown up now Clown. 20 miles in 3:34. I was surprised how fast I ran in the altitude and terrain. 

Now my run was mostly on DNR road, but it had a few trail components to it. Here is  a picture of my favorite spot. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Has anybody heard how OM did, today

As I was getting ready for Church, this morning, I got called into work.  Last night's storm caused three large trees to fall into a house causing pretty severe damage.  I worked from 10:30 am to 6:00 pm, carrying tree limbs, cleaning out a room that roof debris fell into, nailing tarps on the roof to keep anymore water out.  The whole time I was grumbling under my breath for having to work on my day off, freezing my butt off, missing my bowling league, and just an overall hatred of my job.  As I sit in my nice warm house...with all the utilities working...with a complete roof overhead...I'm feeling pretty crappy for all the grumbling I was doing.

Okay--I'm tired--see ya!

evanflein

Nice run, Mariposai! Enjoy the movie; DH and I are going to try to get to that this week.

Yeah, MikeE, sometimes all you need is a little perspective, right?

Still getting my treadmill legs back... I was sort of sproinkless today. 7 miles on the treadmill with 4 half mile repeats at the blistering pace of 8:13 Roll eyes with a 1.5 mile warm up at 8:49, recoveries of .25 mile @ 8:49, then a mile at 8:34, and 1.5 at 8:49 all while listening to last week's "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me." Thank goodness for Paula Poundstone and Peter Sagal....

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, your "blistering pace"  sounds pretty fast to me... it's all relative!    And I love Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!  Funny program.

{{{Mike}}}   Sorry you  had a tough day, and had to work on your day off.  Nice that you got some perspective on your day, but it still sounds tough.  Hang in there, friend.

OM ran a 4:25, a nice PR.

tw, you always make me smile.  You have such a way with ellipses....................

Mari, looks like a beautiful place to run!  How can it be that you've never done a solo trail run before???

It was cold and windy here all day.  I finally bundled up and ventured out with my fuzzy running buddies at about 1 pm - I decided it was as warm as it was likely to get, at 12F.  We ran 5 trail miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, on snowy trails. It was fun.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.