Masters Running

Tue Aug 19 Runs and Workouts (Read 412 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks mari and yay spareheart. mari - Looks like he survived it but maybe don't post the full moon swim one just yet.Big grin yay rochie. maybe you guys can get holly and family up to that great Lake Michigan dunes country or the UP along ocean-like Lake Superior.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Geez, Tet, just rubbing it in by posting twice! Nice picture, Mariposai! And yes, I always thought Tet cleaned up real nice. Big grin Tim, your experience sounds a lot like what I deal with in the winter. The drivers here give people on the road absolutely zero clearance! It's like we have no right to be out there without motorized wheels... I run in the road, and move over to the shoulder when a car comes (the times I run are pretty quiet on the roads, usually). I've had to dive into the snowbank on the side of the road more times than I care to say. It's very aggravating. I've glad she got tickets. I hope she gets big ol' repair bills and insurance hassles for the accident she caused, too! Heading out for a lunchtime run now, will try for 5 miles. Sure is nice out there now.... DH wants to get the boat out tonight. With all the rain we've had, the river is high enough for it (he has a little Bayliner... really not made for our rivers with all the gravel bars and such) and with the sunny day it's hard to resist. We should be able to make it up to town where we can dock and have a bite somewhere and then go back down to the truck. Should be fun, and it'll be the first time we've had it on the river all summer! DickyG, I used pool running a lot a couple years ago when I sprained my ankle. Also helps shin splints... And Perch used it a lot for his PF recovery. Boring as can be but you can't beat it for a recovery activity. My foot seemed to like it, too. I did find that the elliptical aggravated it, so won't be doing that again anytime soon. Hey Holly... how's the gym membership thing going? Have you ever talked to anyone there about it? I just find that so strange... to get into mine you practically have to give blood at the door!! ETA: Nice to see you posting, Dark Horse. That's a lot of situps...
        Pshew! Stoopid me goes out for a longer, easy one, as I came in early and had some extra time at lunch.....and going out it is just lalalalalala, 86, sunny, this is fun........I always forget to think about wind, and there is about a 20 mph one out there, which found me on my way back Blush > red cheeks from effort. 9.23 miles in 1:20:30 -160 AHR/175 Max. grins (the Red Sox won last night!) A
        Masters 2000 miles
          Tim - wow, crazy stupid driver. I can't believe the way the drivers have no respect for people on bikes or running. Ok, last week I was at a crosswalk...no one stopped, so I step a foot or two out onto the road...still 4 cars sped by before the 5th one stopped. Why even bother having crosswalks then? Tet and Mari, you both look wonderful. Sorry I missed your tunnel marathon Tet...it was too hot and thunderous for me. It will be 100% chance of rain tonight and windy....I was hoping to go to a track tonight for 800's. Guess I will try the same workout on the TM. This time I will program it so that I can't lose count. Counting up to 8 is hard you know. Actually looking forward to the workout. HM on Labor Day and really want to PR.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

This afternoon: 3 miles walking 0.5 miles running Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

<quote pid="17771982e9534e788dd0be0f1321616b<b>hopeful4ever</b> just curious what is the longest brinkley has ever run? i have a friend that managed to get her dog up to about 9 miles! i was very impressed.</quote> his longest run with me was 7 miles just a week ago. he did just fine with that, but i don't think i'll take him tomorrow unless it cools down quite a bit. roch - congrats on your retirement!! i know you've been looking forward to it. yeah - holly might come to the mitten state! the west coat of michigan is what you want to look for - from grand haven right up to the bridge is just beautiful. pid=""></quote pid="17771982e9534e788dd0be0f1321616b<b>hopeful4ever</b> just curious what is the longest brinkley has ever run? i have a friend that managed to get her dog up to about 9 miles! i was very impressed.</quote> his longest run with me was 7 miles just a week ago. he did just fine with that, but i don't think i'll take him tomorrow unless it cools down quite a bit. roch - congrats on your retirement!! i know you've been looking forward to it. yeah - holly might come to the mitten state! the west coat of michigan is what you want to look for - from grand haven right up to the bridge is just beautiful. >

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Twocat - I had lasik surgery about 11 years ago. Really poor vision before that - 20/200 with a -11 astigmatism. Probably legally blind, now that I think about it! I had to have the initial lasik plus "an enhancement" to bring me up to 20/20. But my eye doctor told me as I aged my eyes would regress and, alas, they have. I need glasses for distance, but I can still get by without reading glasses. I debated about having another procedure done because, like you, I hate having to wear glasses or contact lenses. My eye doc said he would do it, but it would probably result in my not having any closeup vision. I decided against it, and am now holding out for lens implants when my cataracts get worse. My older sister had her eyes done last week, and she's seeing great, both for distance and close up. I guess my advice is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you can get by without glasses or lenses for things like running, watching television, etc. I'd leave it alone. Just one opinion... Jeanne
                wildchild

Carolyn

....and going out it is just lalalalalala, 86, sunny, this is fun......
                  86 and sunny is FUN? I changed into running clothes and went out at lunch, intending to drive to a park near the office. I was hot just driving over with the windows open, and it was only 82 by my car thermometer. Too hot for me, so I just went for a short walk and drove back to the office. Sad I know, I'm a wuss. I'll just have to run after work in the mountains. TimBo, glad you came out OK after your crazy driver incident. Did the cop ticket the 2nd car for following too close? If it rear-ended the first car, it was the 2nd car's fault, even if the 1st car stopped suddenly. Last weekend I had a similar incident with a big delivery truck on a small dirt road. I heard it coming around a corner before I saw it, and I jumped down into the ditch next to the road to get out of his way. I was glad I didn't have the dogs with me at the time. He wasn't going too fast, but there wasn't much room next to him on the road. We don't have guard rails in my neighborhood so there's always room to get off the road. I've taken my dogs running for about 7 miles, but only in cooler weather. I don't take them more than 3 or 4 in the summer. We take them on longer hikes, but not runs. I think our longest hiking day in Wyoming was about 10 miles, but we took breaks and there was lots of water for them to drink and lie in.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OK - I've got one minute to post, before WRFB picks me up for the commute home. I've had NO time for anything but work and running lately. 20 miles on Sunday led to tired legs this morning. But I cranked out 9 miles anyway, albeit at something of a recovery pace. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little peppier. Portland is only 6.5 weeks away. Yikes! Looking forward to our meetup with Hally and Mariposai on Friday night in Bethesda. Another notch in our boomer belt.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Weather continues to be great ! 2 mile easy run, walk 1 mile plus. 500 meter pool swim.
                      SteveP

Foxes are kewl Lou. I've seen cartoons and they go more for chickens. Nothin to worry about. Thanks for gettin us started. Holy Smokes Tim!!!! I'm gald you waited for the cop. Thanks Mary. Happy Birfday to Karin's DS Thanks Doug Jlynne, you post is timely. It crossed my mind that I've been racing for over 20 years and running longer. So far so good. When I trip..it takes longer to get up.... Holly, forget Rochs' part of the state. Tet's a wise man. Come up here!!! It's way kewl. Sleeping Bear Dunes....need I say more. I was in traffic today and saw a bumper sticker that said "Alaskan Girls Rock". Last winter, I took FIL's dog for a nine mile run. She worked up to it, but it still did her in. She's a Samoyed, I wouldn't run long with her this time of year. Today, ladies and gentlemen, cats and kittens, the baby jogger got broken in. My grandson, Robin Noah and I went for our first run together ever. 2.5 joyful miles. He's 6 months old and he stayed awake through most of it. ...Now, when DW isn't listening, I'll tell DS how the kid's a babe magnet. DS has asked me to go to the ice cream store with him cause of the cute girl with the braded pony tail. If he runs to the ice cream store, kid in tow...We may get the kid married off.

SteveP

Whee---that was fun! I finished up my double run day and all is well. I ran the three miles to the Community Gardens for the Tuesday night cross-country 5k series (April-October). It's $4 to enter and a prediction race. If you predict your time correctly or win your age group (or set a record) you get a coupon for free race entry. The series has been run for 20 years by the local running club--Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club. It's a fun race and run on trails---over ditches, up some serious hills and through fields. I predicted 22:45---not sandbagging I swear! I was sitting most of the day writing a report and felt sluggish. The evening is spectacular with cool temps and low humidity---classic New England August evening. The temperature was 70F at the start of the race and down to 60F on the trot home. Anyway, I ended up with a 22:02---6:53, 13:49 and 22:02 for the finish (the steep hill is in the last mile). I am very happy with this. Dr. J was there and ran a 23:45---course PR for her. One of her twin boys and her 14 year-old daughter also ran and did a fine job. I was the first masters woman and was waxed by a whole passel of high school girls. It's all good. The race directors have an index card filing system of everyone's times and I looked at my card---started in 2002 when I was 37. I ran a 21:56 back then and then times in the 22:30-23:00 range in following years. I gulped down some water (couldn't stay for the blueberry pie and cookies) and ran the three miles back home. I walked up my street and Mr. CNYrunner stepped out onto the back deck (the back of our house faces the street) and yelled; "Hey, Are you taking a BREAK or something...HURRY up!" I couldn't be annoyed since he was making dinner for me and was timing it just right. He's the best. 13.1 miles total on the day with a few faster miles too. I am now watching the Olympic hurdle races, thinking of my father who ran hurdles (1952 Olympic Trials in fact) and enjoying a glass of Shiraz. G'nite all CNYrunner/Karin MTA: Thanks for the birthday shout-out for the kiddo Steve. Awesome running with your grand-baby! In true goober-parent fashion we have a 12 clue scavenger hunt planned for tomorrow along with all sorts of 12 themed activities. Poor dude---didn't get cool parents, but we have fun!
                            45 minutes of intervals at 3;40 pace...Was drained after Sunday's 2:30 hour run. Hope eveyone is well Tall

Recent Best times: None recently