Masters Running

Pondering retirement...wisdom of the crowd topic (Read 60 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Congratulations on a great, outstanding career.

After my mom’s untimely passing at age 52, pa stuck it out until retirement age to just drive around the country trying to figure out what to do.  Got as far as San Diego where he met a widowed travel agent and they spent the next 25 years traveling the world.  

However, same as Leslie, I don’t think I’d get along very good with retirement.

I tried early retirement from a state government job in 1996 and immediately went out on my own doing for me what I used to do for bureaucrats who often couldn’t care less about what they were doing and where they were doing it, if not hating it, just biding their time until retirement.
    Problem with retirement for me is that I don’t like traveling that much as I’ve been lucky enough to live in interesting places I love on their own with so many things to do for work and play such as Alaska, Japan, Singapore, etc. and travel so much with work over the last 50 years to the East Coast, London, Canada, China, Korea, etc. that I usually don’t want leave where I am at the time (Seattle since 1996) and miss everything that’s going on there,  . . except when I to go back to (a) Alaska for doing stuff with GS I used to do too when I was his age (now eight-and-a-half, or which I would’ve done in those days if I could’ve) and (b) Japan for hire for someone who needs someone who’s fluent in the local language and culture to say nothing of loving the food. <<<(fish/fish/fish)>>>.  

However, as long as I’m luckily married and not alone, I really can’t imagine just going somewhere for my own personal gratification/satisfaction without doing it for or, at least, with someone else who appreciates it too. About the only traveling I can imagine wanting to do I were alone and in the unlikely event there was nothing else to do would be to go back East to swim across Walden Pond and schuss down Tuckerman’s Revine on Mt. Washington but it’ll never happen on these legs anymore so someone else please do it for me.  Thanks.   

Good luck.   

ps - you’re a good example of timely retirement. It’s too bad so many other people, though, don’t move on and let the younger generation have their turn, e.g. broadcasters, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I have to agree with everyone here. You can't ask for better role models than Henry, Marj, Tom and Tet.

Lots of good advice here - if you can afford to retire and you have enough things to keep you happy and active, go for it. You just have to find the right mix, and be ready to let go out that rope. And you definitely have to be on the same page as your DW, because a new routine will affect her too.  It's not an easy decision for everyone but I think that the fact you're considering it and seeking advice means you're ready. Good luck!

wildchild

Carolyn

I agree with surly Bill that part time work is a good stepping stone to full retirement. I switched to part time about 3 years ago, not by choice but because my company lost a big client and didn't have enough work. DH and I both fully retired this year at age 60.

I sometimes feel a bit aimless - not bored exactly, but with not enough to do. I do like being able to run more, and have also been running with friends more because my schedule is so flexible. That's one of the best parts about retirement! Volunteering sounds like an interesting option, but it would be hard for me because I live in such a rural area, and giving up the long commute to town is another great thing!

As most of you know, DH and I bought a Sprinter van and outfitted it as a camper. We travel and live in the van for large parts of the winter, mostly spending our time at climbing areas, since that's DH's passion. I climb some, and also explore the trails wherever we go. It's working out we'll so far but not sure what we'll do when we get too old for this lifestyle.  We also love foreign travel, although with 2 old dogs our options are a bit limited till they're no longer with us.  When they're gone I expect we'll travel the world!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Thanks for a thoughtful post - interesting topic!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

This is a very timely thread for me.  I am retiring next Thursday.    I am equal parts scared and excited.   I am 67 now, and I feel like it is time.  I have crunched the numbers and we will be okay.  I have no set plans, just running, painting, staring into space, I mean, meditating.  

Who knows, if I get interested in something I may work part-time, but I doubt it.  DH is much younger than I, so he will keep working for a while (but not to the age I am now)  but we can travel more since my schedule was the more rigid one.  I am looking forward to sleeping in late on Monday mornings!  

Runners run

Congratulations, Ilene!  That’s a big step and I know you will make the most of it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

Thanks, Karen  

Runners run

evanflein

I am 67 now, and I feel like it is time.  I have crunched the numbers and we will be okay. 

You know, I've always been surprised when you say how old you are. You are the youngest 67 year old I've ever seen! And I haven't even seen you IRL for a few years, so there! You and Fastforward will be fine, and I hope we cross trails again sometime!

Carolyn, you too. You and your DH are so active it's great. I don't think we could ever do that sprinter van thing but I love it that you guys do it!

Tramps

Congrats to Ilene and Milktruck!

I don't have any advice but we're in a similar place right now...pondering retirement, running the numbers, etc. (55 & 57 y.o. right now.) We both like our work but are not worried about leaving it. We'd love to have more time for a variety of interests...hiking, music, cycling, woodworking, etc. And we tend to get involved in some local civic/environmental stuff, so no worries about "what to do?" We're leaning towards taking a couple of years to deliberately step back, let go of some work projects, make sure the financial situation is adequate, etc. and ease into this, adjusting as we go, if necessary.  There's a small camper trailer in our near future, for example, to try out more travel/hiking.

I'm actually pretty pumped about it all...maybe because I'm currently in over my head on a work project that's overdue! 

It can be a little anxiety-provoking (have we overlooked anything? is this too early? etc.) but I keep reminding myself that we're fortunate to be able to even contemplate this, so I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Anyway, good luck with whatever decision you make.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

One other thing to consider is health insurance, if you retire before you're eligible for Medicare. We no longer make enough to qualify for the ACA subsidy, so we're on Medicaid. At first we felt bad about it, thinking that's for poor people, which we clearly are not, since we're retired at 60. But we paid into the system for many years, and the Colorado ACA system put us on Medicaid as our only option. Now we're just hoping the Medicaid funding lasts till we turn 65. Otherwise I guess we'll have to buy insurance without any subsidy!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

One other thing to consider is health insurance

Yeah, a big one for us. With her early buy-out, Tri-Bee gets continued coverage until eligible for Medicare; I get booted off her insurance (ka-ching!). I can't believe Colorado qualifies you for Medicaid even as homeowners.  Aren't there asset limits?  Maybe we should move there. 

Anyhow, I was reminded of this thread when I read this:  ""Early retirement is less for people who hate their jobs and more for those who have a clear idea of a different lifestyle or goal they may want to pursue."  That makes a lot of sense to me at any age.

Be safe. Be kind.

an amazing likeness

I remembered this conversation thread out of the blue last night and hunted it up to review it. Thanks to all who offered advise. Well, things didn't progress as quickly as I expected...took another 14 months pull up from Having-a-Job utlra and DNF.

I'm going with the plan of taking a few months off while trying out some volunteering opportunities to see if anything clicks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

well, I will say I have never heard of someone forgetting to retire.  Obviously a lot of difficult circumstances, but still............

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.