Masters Running

Monday November 2--Rests, Runs, and the Rest (Read 420 times)

I have always heard and also experienced that not being able to sleep is a sign of over training. Being the end of a marathon cycle I would guess that is the case. I know with me I was plenty tired but my mind was racing all night. Be careful Take an extra day off if you need to and hopefully this will pass with the taper. Now is not the time to push to hard.

3.5 easy paced miles (easy I guess) 8:35 pace. I was just out for an easy run today and slipped right into the same pace I carried yesterday. Can it be I have just got my groove back? I hope so because that is a perfect easy pace for me but I really thought it would take a little longer and a few less pounds on my waist to get back there.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

32 minutes on the elliptical this morning, and 64 yesterday. I'm going to try to venture back outside tomorrow.  We've registered for our local Turkey Trot which is a big race around here. Gotta try and get some speedwork in.

Slo - you know how to be silly.  That is such a great skill.  I fear I've gotten a bit rusty at it, but WRFB is always in top form.  And seems to save his most absurd just for me...

It seems very late tonight - I felt like I was at work forever as it was completely dark by the time I left.  Bleh.

I so want Baby Will to feel better. It's just not fair that this little guy is having such a hard time.  Better days are ahead for him though - I just know it.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

SLO - the party sounded like so much fun.  Thinking about your brother unwittingly, uh groping, your mom almost had me in tears I was laughing so hard.

Holly - thanks for the reminder about the on demand exercise stuff; I barely watch cable at home during July and August, so that could be another way to get more of my money's worth the rest of the year.  I mean, one can only watch so many episodes of NCIS and CSI while stretching . . . 

Nono - There was an amazing sunbeam amid a wall of clouds over your part of the cape as I was running on the OC boardwalk yesterday, the kind of thing that seemed like it belonged on a commercial with angelic-sounding music in the background.  I sort of assumed it was nature's way of welcoming you back home.  Smile

{caution, baseball talk}

Aamos - yes, last night sure was sad.  Gave me flashbacks to the WS against the Orioles, '83, I think.  Phils are up  6-1 now and I caught a glimpse of "cousin" Jamie talking to Cliff Lee on TV, so I'm a happy camper.  Also a tired camper, and I couldn't bear to watch them blow this lead, so I'm off to bed soon, trusting that I'll be following a ball game on my iPhone at rehearsal on Wednesday for the third week in a row.  At least they seem to be saying "we're not dead yet."

{baseball talk finished}

Started my marathon training plan for real today - XT - 45-minute walk.  I hope I can remember how easy today was when the long runs start to kick in during (brrrr) January and February.

Happy Election Day tomorrow, everyone.  I always think of Lucy in the old Peanuts comics saying "vote for the blockhead of your choice."

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francesca -

doing your 21 laps on the 1.93 mile circuit around that mountainous little gem of a park at Carkeek

is more than sufficient assurance for your upcoming first double at the Seattle Ghost/Seattle Marathon, . . .

or even running up Mt. Everest if you wanted to!

Even after my measly 14 laps, I'm pretty sure the Ghost/SM is doable.

At least I won't miss you on the Ghost's one big out-and-back up-and-down Lake Washington

and the SM there too plus the floating bridge crossing and back. .

twocat -

if it's anything like the fun enke/dive and I had with Mariposal at the Ipenema Restaurant in Seattle, take that champion runner and human being to anywhere South American, paraguay if possible but not necessary, as she'll be in her element orchestrating ording all the courses while the handsome, young South American waiters fawn all over her (of course, we never do that). 

Maybe she can select an enticing bistro but, if she demurs, just call 'em up yourself and, if you can't understand what they're saying, make a reservation for Madam Mariposai and have the time of your life. 

ps - no particular reason <<<(4:11/4:11)>>>, but get her the best beverage in the house for an even better time

pps - make sure DH has 2X what she has

ppps - after a strong 47 day taper since labor day, I kind of got carried away in eight recent days

but am now back into being a good taperer until the Seattle Ghost on 11/28.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tet... during Sunday's marathon, I came across a guy running in what looked like calf high socks with some kind of sole on the bottom of them.  Any idea what they might have been?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks perch. interesting. 

Maybe the compression socks that've been the subject of a brief Ironman ban

but all I've seen/heard of have been with shoes.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Compression_sock_ban_reversed_1009.html

However, as a token countermeasure so much recent chronological slowing down myself, I've been experimenting

with as many different kinds of footwear as possible, including Japanese tabi big-toe socks

(with protective insole sole I glue underneath).

The compressions might be worth my try if high enough to do any good for continuing knee kniggling

since March but I don't run fast enough anymore for calves to have any reason to complain.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)