Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.7.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.2 miles, including 3.1 morning miles & 2.1 post-work TM miles)
    Marj (3.1 miles to the local lower reservoir with a new phone & HHH)
    Pfriese (5 beautiful morning miles)
    Dave (5 morning miles, feeling better as it progressed)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
    Spacityrunner (4 cool, slow, late afternoon mountain miles)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Mike (11.1 miles with warmup, tempo miles (6:36 pace), cool down)

StarrRuns (3.5 post-work trail miles with weed spray fragrance)

Wildchild (6.2 road miles - 2nd day in a row at same distance)

Holly (4 miles)

Sorry about your fellow employee losing their job, KSA. We’ve seen too many examples here of unreasonable bosses with unrealistic expectations.

Did the painter show up, Rochrunner? Did you get the lawn mowed?

Good luck with the clips, Tramps. I never had ‘em, so I can’t really relate. Good luck also with the decision for TriBee to retire or not.

Nice pic post, Marj. BTW, I had a dream/nightmare a few nights ago that I showed up very late and inappropriately dressed for a certain luncheon on Sept. 18.

Good self-control, Pfriese. And good willpower, Dave.

Very sorry about all the smoke, Tet (and Tammy, and Mariposai, and Wildchild).

I’m glad you took advantage of the good weather, Spacityrunner.

Twocat, you are doing great, and will get back to your normal running distance and speed if you can just be patient for a little while longer. It seems that every day is a little better.

Fast run, Mike, with or without a cheering section. I'm glad it all felt good.

I'm glad your knee is doing better, Star. Bummer about the weed spray - I'd get far away from it too.

You've earned a second rest day, Evanflein, but it is too bad that so much work is forcing it.

Busy as usual, eh, Holly?

I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a full-body look-see. She froze a couple of little blips off the top of my head, and otherwise said to come back in a year. Whew.

Lots 'o rain at 4 this morning, so I rolled over for some more zzz's until the cat started yelling about her breakfast being late. So I fed her and went back again for a 20-min cat nap.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks Jay.  Glad the scan went fine.

Great to see Mike running so well.  I have big plans for him this Fall.

2cat--good to see you on the mend.  Give yourself time to come back gradually.

Tet--it's not easy, but it's meaningful and interesting work and she has enormous flexibility; not at all boring. But when do you say "it's time"? And how do you calculate the time vs. money trade-off?  Tough decisions but we're fortunate to have options.  We just weren't expecting to have to make them for a few more years.

Nice pic Marj.  You inspired me to dig up that photo I was trying to post last week from our morning ride. There's a short stretch on my run/ride route that is right on the water and looks directly east, so there are often very nice sunrises.  Here's one that caught my eye.  It's rarely this calm on the river. Sometimes the best colors come on somewhat cloudy days.

My clip experiment this morning all went fine. I've seen people struggling to get in and out of clips but these particular ones seem very easy to use. Now, will I have the presence of mind to do the little heel flick in an emergency?  That remains to be seen.  The whole experiment was a bit underwhelming.  I was in and out very easily and pedaling didn't feel all that different in my short ride. But I did have little flashes of feeling how you can engage a wider range of muscles pedaling with clips.  I'll need to work on doing that more consistently during a regular ride.

Off to PT.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good recap, as usual Jay.

3.1 again this morning. 48 degrees. Not used to that!  Light long sleeved shirt and a vest.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so y'all know I lurk and don't post, mostly because I'm a singer who doesn't run.  And I figure, to post on a running thread, you should run.  But I'm a regular poster on the Penguin thread over in Beginner's and Beyond, but I'm really used to more rapid chatter than is currently happening in that thread.

So I have picked today to be a more regular poster.  Because it's National Beer Lover's Day.  So happy beer day, everybody!

And for my workout today, I have Sweet Adeline chorus rehearsal tonight.  2 solid hours of singing and choreo.  I will definitely be tired by the time I'm done!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

So much going on everywhere in the country these days. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone suffering from storms, floods, and fires.

Tramps, those clipless pedals do take some getting used to. Rochrunner, what exactly are "serious roadie pedals"?

Yes, I feel the same. And sometimes it's not bad to be living in a "boring" part of the flyover zone, right Starr? My DW is a chronic worrier and afraid that the hurricane will affect our Sunday air travel somehow, but I doubt that the route from Detroit to Minneapolis to Albuquerque will be impacted, especially since the airlines have had plenty of warning.

By "serious roadie" I meant pedals other than SPD. SPDs are mainly used for mountain bikes, but I also like them for road bikes since the cleats are recessed into the shoe soles meaning that you can walk normally in them. Most road bike shoes are very clutzy to walk in so hard to get around at places I might stop at while on a ride or tour.

Another beautiful and very cool morning and had a good 6-mile run. In fact, it was the first time in quite a while that I ran all the way up the hill to our subdivision at the end of the route.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Welcome out of lurk mode HopesMom! 

Ran 4.2 on the treadmill last night. Supposedly we have rain in forecast today, but two days ago it was at 80% chance, yesterday down to 60% and this morning down to about 35%. There were a few very isolated shower cells that went through a few areas yesterday (not my area unfortunately) but it was also accompanied by 164 lightening strikes in about 30 minutes. exactly what we don't need. 

Haven't been able to start XC practice yet either. Right now the volleyball team has their practice in the gym and the football team has been practicing in a 2nd smaller gym that the middle school has. So no room for the XC kids. Not sure if they are working out a schedule to rotate in the XC team for some practices or what the plan is.  

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hopesmom - that's nice.

What's your favorite song?

Why don't  you run?

Does Hope?

Try it, you'll like it.

Betcha can't sing through a whole song while on a run without getting distracted.

No more visible falling ash this morning but, with thick smoke still all over the place and nowhere to escape from it to, I did what 2C would have done with any planned run outdoors in this stuff and didn’t do it.  At least, I've still never been stopped by rain and never will be..

Tramps – sounds like a buy-out may be in order, some time off for whatever TB wants to do, and a new job in some new special interest area. Maybe parttime like WC. What’s her longest open water swim this year?  Any IM’s or ultras?

ps weather - with ocean breezes predicted for yesterday not materializing, smoke remains too thick to see much of the moon let alone

the predicted northern lights. . . . If any.  First rain since June 17 predicted for Saturday but I doubt it.

Image result for seattle smoke moon images . . . Image result for seattle smoke images

6 hours ago / earthsky.org

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Singer who runs a smidge

Hopesmom - that's nice.

What's your favorite song?

Why don't  you run?

Does Hope?

Try it, you'll like it.

Betcha can't sing through a whole song while on a run without getting distracted.

We're currently working on Christmas music, which is fun if a little odd.  We're also working on Happy Together, which is fun to sing!

I'm working my way back from a bad case of runner's knee/ITBS.  I'm run/walking a little, coming back slowly.  I do like it, it doesn't like me sometimes.

Hope ... well, she's dead, actually.  She was our dog, and passed away from cancer six or seven years ago.  I like to think of her galloping with abandon in doggie heaven, super-dog ears flying.  But now we have Dusty, who does very much like to run.  I don't hold his leash, that's DH's job.  Dusty is 125 lbs of pure muscle, and way too much for me to handle when he wants to go sniff where the deer or skunks or foxes have crossed the road.

Definitely can't sing through a whole song on a run without distraction!!  There's frogs, birds, gnats, neighbors, DH and Dusty, that stupid hill, what time is it anyway, can that car see me in the dark, is it going to rain today, am I supposed to be walking or running?

BTW, I have family in Seattle, and in the Tri-cities.  Seeing all the smoke and ash makes me sad.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hi All,

I'd like to report a run, but I did not run today.  In fact, I think I only did one 3 mile run about a month ago, and nothing else in about 6 or 8 months?  I refuse to look at my log.

I have done some biking though.  I had a big week two weeks ago with 3 x 40 mile rides, two of those were to work and back.  So 120 for the week and I think that was my biggest week.  I like biking, but I don't like spending 8 hours doing it on a weekend to get a workout in.  I think my bad knee might be healed enough now to start jogging again.  Inertia has really set in, and also a fear of how hard it is going to feel starting over.  But I don't like the spare tire that has appeared around my midsection.  So maybe what I need to do is just pop in here everyday, read about your great runs and I will be inspired!

My 6 month contract job is ending in 3 weeks and as fate would have it I recently got called up by my previous employer and offered a full time job!  I was RIF'd by them 15 months ago and spent 9 months unemployed.  I had to go for an official interview last week, and met with 3 new management/other people they have hired, and I liked the changes they have made to this small start-up since the last time I was there.  I got the official verbal offer from them today and will give my 2 weeks notice tomorrow at work.  I am ready for the change!  And nice to know the money will keep rolling in as I have one kid starting college next year.  

Mr. Blue Eyes and I are still going strong.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Welcome back HopesMom and enkephalin. Keep posting!

coastwalker listening to the rain last night, I would say a cat nap was a good call.

tetsujin209 and mariposai I sure hope you get that rain. Your area could sure use a break.

evanflein I remember seeing the elevation profile for that last big run of yours. It was tough enough to kill a moose.

wildchild any weather updates regarding the race? I cannot imagine running a 10K with the amount of smoke people are dealing with out west let alone a 100 miler! Even if the smoke levels are "better" that is not the same as the air is good.

StarrRuns good news on the knee. Hope it stays that way.

Mike E your post yesterday was so exuberant it just left me smiling.

I ran 13 miles today. Good think you do not need your tongue to run or I would have been out of commission for who knows how long! Still not moving along at a very fast pace, but moving. I may need to rearrange my fall marathon plans. Maybe try to cruise Melbourne, assuming I can make the trip, and then try to run something in the US a bit later. I know, first world problems.

As to today's run, I decided to experiment with some picture taking strategies on relive. I did not add many to the run. I also spaced them out by several miles. It seemed to work. Two of the pictures, however, are cheats. One shows Jenning's Beach. My normal route does not take me to a spot where I can actually see it like you do in the picture. I get to see glimpses from the road, but that is it. The last picture is of me from the other day. It shows me at the end of the run with the final hill to my house behind me. Here is the link to see the relive video: https://www.relive.cc/view/g14096954233.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It is so cool to see HopesMom and Enkie posting again.  Congratulations Enkie, on the new job!

Yes--I had a good run, yesterday, but my recent history tells me I have to be very careful.  I am going to back off a bit and try to avoid another injury that will force me to limp through another marathon.  Erika--the course we ran on, yesterday, was a 1/2 mile loop around a group of athletic fields where it just so happened that my daughter was coaching her JV soccer team.  She, of course, had to have all of her kids say hi to me--which got me going, right away...yes, I'm a showoff.  Then the cross country team was doing 1 mile repeats on the same course with rest periods between each so, while they were resting, I would run by them and they would cheer.  I would, also, see them on the course when I passed them or they passed me and, of course, we would encourage each other each time.  So, no--they were not all standing around watching and cheering for me, but I got a whole lot of encouragement the whole way.

Today, I went 3.1 miles before practice and 4 miles with the team for a total of 7.1 miles.  We have a meet, tomorrow, so I thought I would run with varsity boys, who I thought, would be taking it easy.  They were, but it wasn't so easy for me...so much for backing off.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - hiyah!  Missed you!

HopesMom - welcome back and feel free to hang out - running is not actually required!  We just hang and chat and sometimes talk about running or other workouts.

MIL arrived today to visit for a short time, so no time for me to post much.

6 miles total for me today in 58 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

Stretched lunch to 6 on the cooler weather. Then worked late so no ride.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

I actually ran a couple miles outside today! We had a few rain showers come through this afternoon and it cleared the air enough for me to feel okay with running outdoors. Still had to have XC practice inside due to AQI readings, but when I got home it seemed even better where I live - maybe all the trees - so I took B&B and we hit the hometrails for 2 miles. I know the smoke will all blow back in again in a day or two, but for this very short reprieve I'm so thankful!

Tammy

evanflein

Yeah, Tammy! So nice to get a reprieve, no matter how brief. I remember when it would suddenly clear and everyone would get so excited, and then the next day, wham! All the smoke was back. So frustrating, but enjoy the break you get! I bet B&B enjoyed it!

Matt, cool with the pictures. I haven't tried that yet. But I haven't taken pictures yet since I started using Relive. Do you need them on your phone? I've got so many on Photobucket (that apparently I can't use here anymore) so just wondering.

Holly, have a good visit with your MIL.

HopesMom, so nice to see you posting! I wish everyone who just lurks would come out and post regularly. Doesn't have to be every day, but once every week or two, just post to say hi! We always like to hear what people are up to. And I love your handle. I could be SocksiesMom, or AbbysMom, or CheyennesMom... our furry family members are always dear to us.

Beautiful picture, Tramps. I agree the clouds make for better sunrise/sunset shots. I've never used clips on my bike, not even really sure what you guys are talking about when you talk about them. My 10 speed is from 1977 and just has pedals. I love it though... was my high school grad gift and main source of transportation for years. It has a special place in the garage these days.

Roch and Starr, I may not be in "boring flyover country," but don't have to worry about hurricanes or tornadoes!

Jay, yes, I have to remember how challenging that course is, but still. I don't think I've ever taken two days off in a row recently when not injured and it was making me antsy. So it was nice to get out today even though work was still crazy and I got out later than I wanted. Had a chat with my boss about workload, and she asked me to let her know when I'm feeling overwhelmed, or before, really. That was good, but I'm not sure what she will be able to do about it. Still, nice to be heard.

8.4 miles tonight.